Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNeed For Speed: Hot Pursuit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MVP
MVP

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit
    Posted: 11-30-2010 at 10:31am
Any impressions?  Adam, you're playing, right?  Jason, why did you end up passing?

I admit the Autolog feature interests me, but how is the base gameplay?
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-30-2010 at 12:53pm
I'm more of a pure racing fan and NFS: Hot Pursuit seems geared more towards cop chases and big crashes. I'm also playing a ton of Shift right now and Shift 2 supposedly comes out in early 2011, so that was also one of the reasons I passed on HP. On the other hand, I've heard good things about it though and would probably play it online if enough people from SGN bought it.

Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-30-2010 at 3:44pm
Speaking of Shift 2, there is a IGN Preview today.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/113/1137411p1.html

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-30-2010 at 3:57pm
I liked Shift quite a bit, and I'm looking forward to the sequel.
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-30-2010 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by Derek

Any impressions?  Adam, you're playing, right?

It's as if Burnout 2 and Burnout Paradise got married and had the most wonderful child you ever did see.  I'm not very far into the game at all (this is all Autolog's fault - I load up with the best of intentions and then I'll see someone's gone a second faster than me on a particular race, which absolutely must not be allowed to stand.  Then an hour passes...) but what I've played has been very good.

A few things that have stood out so far:

- The game's idea of a slow car is a Porsche Boxster.  No earning your spurs in a Chevrolet Cobalt or VW Golf here.

- The sense of speed from the bumper cam is something else.  The races I've done so far haven't been full of civilian traffic but I've still had races, particularly in the preview events (sort of like Burnout's Burning Lap, a flat-out blast against the clock in a car you haven't yet unlocked for general use) where my focus has been on the horizon because if I don't see the oncoming car from that distance, I'm probably going to hit it before I've had time to get out of the way.  If I hit the oncoming car, I need to restart if I want to get a Gold medal or go top of the Autolog Speedwall...

- ...and I don't mind one bit.  Hot Pursuit is one of those racers where a top-end sportscar will never dip below 130 even in the tightest hairpins the game has to offer, but the handling model has some depth to it in spite of that.  The cars have weight and inertia, while the drifting mechanic is such that you can shave little bits of time here and there by making sure you don't scrub off too much speed and using brakes and throttle instead of steering to make small course changes.  Rather than being an annoyance, a restart is an opportunity to go back and perfect your run.

Annoyances?  I have a suspicion that some of the fastest times on certain cop challenges are going to be achieved by fluke rather than skill, but I'll get over that.  The loading times are alright but you'll go through a loading screen every time you restart a race, along with a little intro scene that's apparently skippable but seems to play whether the game tells me I've skipped it or not.  Oh!  I'm not sure if the AI rubber-bands but I am sure it's happy to stay competitive with you or even in front of you until the last mile or so of every race.  At that point it suddenly becomes less enthusiastic about beating you, though I don't know if this continues through the faster car classes.

All in all, there's a lot to like.  I paid full price, which I rarely do these days, and I'm not at all unhappy to have done so.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-30-2010 at 7:12pm
Damn you Adam...why couldn't you have posted this before Amazon's $29.99 Black Friday deal expired Wink.

Is there an option to turn off civilian traffic? I think there was in Hot Pursuit for the PS2.
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-05-2010 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by JasonSGN

Damn you Adam...why couldn't you have posted this before Amazon's $29.99 Black Friday deal expired Wink.

Is there an option to turn off civilian traffic? I think there was in Hot Pursuit for the PS2.

I have absolutely no idea, mate.  I would be surprised if that option appeared, since civilian traffic has been central to Criterion's other racing games and this one has a very similar feel, but I'll have a look for you.
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-10-2010 at 7:04pm
Jason, no option to turn off civilian traffic.  I've only encountered one race where there was anything like enough traffic to cause me genuine trouble so far, though.  Every other crash I've had has been caused by me not paying enough attention to the onrushing headlights.

Still waiting to find anything at all about this game that I can take serious issue with.  I could really do without the rubber-banding but I've pretty much come to expect it in these games and while that doesn't make it right, it's not detracting from the experience just yet either.  Beyond that, it remains very very good indeed.
 Post Reply Post Reply