Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Torino 2006 Impressions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTorino 2006 Impressions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message / View Unread Post
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Torino 2006 Impressions
    Posted: 01-26-2006 at 3:48pm
* This is all done off the top of my head with three to four hours of play. Returned today and the funds were added to my WE9 reserve. Possibly the only rewarding thing from this little adventure.

I think it can all be summed up best by one of the announcers in the game.

"DOH"

Yes, that is one of precious few one word commentary dittys that is mentioned in the game. It was funny the first time, until you remember this is the only official olympic game and that the bar has been dramtically dropped for olympic games.

The fact I had the game mastered on the medium difficulty in less then 3 hours only made it worse. There are only 3 levels (easy, medium and hard) and as best I can tell the only effect each has are the times by the CPU and more difficulty to medal.

The negatives

- Little to no presentation (I do not recall an opening or closing Ceremony)
- No names other then what you name your athlete (which will be the same name for males and females.
- Horrid commentary
- NO anthems played on the medal stand
- Far too easy
- Since it is an olympic game you are limited to running the same skiing slopes, etc as it plays out at the actual venues. Without a variety of different slopes you know the layout the second or third time down. Not a fault of the developer, just a problem with olympic games in general.  There is a simple way around this by adding olympic qualifying for each country, thus allowing more mountains. Of course requiring more work for the developer and well that just was not going to happen.

- Outside of the slalom there is little need to let up on the crouch and even use the carve function.
- I could go on...

Events and how to play them

* Alpine Skiing

Downhill
Super-G
Giant Slalom
Slalom

"A" to start based on a moving bar which determines your speed out of the gate.

"A" to crouch and "X" to carve (a crsip turn)

The only time carving and any skill is required would be on the Slalom. That was the only one that presented a challenge due to the tight turns and keeping your speed in a crouch.

* Biathlon

You watch a circular meter and hold "A" to sprint and when downhill "X" to glide on the downhill sections. You do control the movement of the athlete and concentrate on the meter as it is always moving. So if you fail to let off as it changes you will tax the athlete. Again you only have one venue for (biathlon, cross coutnry and the CC part of Nordic challenge) as best I recall the course was the same CC and not much different then the biathlon. They should have moved the meter to the top of the screen since you do have to watch it constantly to keep you speed/energy timed. With it low you do not really get a sense of what is going on. Not that cross country skiing is fast paced.

Shooting is done twice (crouching and standing) five shots for five targerts. The wind will affect the aim bit after a couple tries hitting all 5 is simple enough.

* Cross country

Same as Biathlon minus the shooting.

* Nordic combined

2 ski jumps (covered below) and cross country

* Ski Jumping

Low mountain
High Mountain

Both are the same. "A" to start, L Trigger to keep you balanced bu keeping a moving ball in the middle.  "A" to start a timed jump as two bars move in. L Trigger to stay stable in the air. "A" to finish a similar timed land.

Way too easy to medal.

* Luge

Pretty much the same controls as the bobsled except you can't shift weight. Plus the start is similar to skiing where it is meter based.

* Bobsled

4 Man
2 Women

Another far to simple event.  Timing of the start is DDR based with one button "A" to build up speed you time as the "A" buttons fall down to a circle.  I never really felt the need to mess with shifint weight (using triggers) as it is pretty easy to keep off the boards.

* Speed skating

500M
1000M
1500M

The only button masher of the group. The 1500M can make the fingers a bit sore.
You start each by tapping A/B back and forth repeatedly to get speed. Then it becomes timing based where you hold "A" then hold "B" back and forth for certain amounts of time (meter based) to get timing and speed the rest of the race. The meter will decrease around turns and increase on the straightaways. You have no control of the skaters movement. This is the one event where you could do the event by the sound of the skates and not even look at the meters. It would probably add to the challenge one you are constantly getting gold.

Probably the hardest group of events I ran into but still medaled each distance at some point.

Events that are olympic sports, yet not in the game.

Figure skating
Ice Hockey
Freestyle Skiing
Skeleton
Short Track
Snowboarding

If for some reason you are still interesting in this game after reading this....

Seek help.

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
 Post Reply Post Reply