Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Games you enjoyed that got panned.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedGames you enjoyed that got panned.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message / View Unread Post
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Games you enjoyed that got panned.
    Posted: 04-16-2006 at 3:54pm
Fess Up. What games do you secretly play/played and enjoy that most turned their nose up to.

On the sports end

ESPN MLB 2K5 (Xbox) - I know I am in the minority on this one but I think alot of it was the graphic whore in me needing something that looked better then MVP 05. That and I still hate the classic MVP swing. Which Kush was kind enough to bring to 2K6. Cry

Links Extreme (PC) - The hardcore fans and reviewers hate it. I kinda liked playing on the strange course(s) 27 holes if I recall correctly, and crazy things you could do to the ball. The course in Links I played most was Devils Island because it was brutaly difficult and was a nice change of place from the standard courses.

BMX XXX (Xbox) - I once was a BMX racer and have purchased every BMX game. it was not that bad but Acclaim screwed the pooch with the XXX aspect of the game which was pretty lame to begin with.

Oh and what did I ride? (upated pics as the other site was suspended) Had a Mongoose and a Diamond Back.  My Goose was Black and Yellow (Steeler colors) and the DB was pretty standard fare, I prefered the Mongoose and rarely used the DB, never in a competition.

From my non-sports gaming past

I kind of enjoyed a few of the Army Men Titles. The early ones mainly, but I played them all. I grew up with the little green guys. Figure I owed it to them for all the torture they endured in my back yard.

Pretty much any bad point and click adventure game from the late 80's and early 90's on the PC. I used to love those games and would play though them all.

Those were just a couple biggies of top of my head. Will try to add to the list as I remember them.

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-16-2006 at 5:36pm
Off the top of my head EA's NHL 2001 and 2002.  Maybe not panned by the mags, but definitely by the hockey faithful.

As I think of more I'll post them.
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-16-2006 at 7:33pm

I used to have a load of these, and now you've asked the question I can't remember many of them.  Your starter for 10, then, with more as and when I recall them:

• V-Rally 3 - panned almost universally in reviews despite being what I felt was a very good stab at a semi-serious F2 rallying game.  It's true, however, that once you graduated to the WRC cars getting to the end of a stage with a car that bore any resemblance to the one that started it owed more to luck than any talent on your part.
  • The Getaway - I've played this to completion three times and I still don't really appreciate why it was so heavily slated by so many.  There are a few slightly odd design choices, especially in the on-foot levels, but otherwise it was a very enjoyable game.  There's no novelty in driving around London for me either - I've never been there so I don't know where I'm going or, for the most part, what I'm looking at.
  • NASCAR '99 - OK, there's absolutely no sensation of speed but there is a decent PSOne racer underneath the slothful exterior.
  • Virtua Striker 3 - both on DC and in its subsequent GC appearance with something approaching a career mode tacked on to it.  It's rubbish.  I'm willing to accept that.  You don't really have any control over your team or the ball, games tend to bypass the midfield altogether and the keepers are either superhuman or woefully incompetent.  I know all that.  It's still so much fun, though.  Besides, how could I not love a game that once suggested I take a look at the upcoming talent Windy Striker?

Simo

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-16-2006 at 7:41pm
I'm sure I'll remember alot more, but here goes:
  • Gameday 2000
  • NHL 2002
  • Tekken 4
  • High Heat 2003

There's probably alot more games that got excellent reviews that I hated, but we'll have to save that for another thread.

leebo33 View Drop Down
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post Options Post Options   Quote leebo33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-17-2006 at 12:00pm
  • Madden NFL 06 Xbox 360.  I still have it and play it quite a bit.  I just downloaded some rosters with most of the player moves.  There are a lot of things wrong with the game, but I've never played a Madden game that required fewer slider adjustments.  I get great games and stats and spend my time playing it rather than tweaking.
  • Inside Pitch - It looked horrible and there were some big flaws, but I played this online quite a bit and really enjoyed it.
  • Tiger Woods 2004 (PS2) - I actually found the PS2 version on the hardest difficulty fairly challenging with all the aids off and it was fun because it actually had a lot of courses and a PGA season mode.  For some reason the XBox version was much easier.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-17-2006 at 12:27pm
Couple more. 

989's MLB 2004.  I'm pretty sure universally loathed, but my top pick for baseball that year.

Indycar Series.  Panned by reviewers for being an oval racer.  Hello?

Nascar Dirt to Daytona.  Best stock car simulator on a console ever.  Bitchin career mode.  I think it received 7's by reviewers so not really panned.

World of Outlaws Sprintcars.  Fantastic racer that reviewers just didn't get (Jason, if you like your racing games fast, furious, and short you should really look for this title.)
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-17-2006 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by Ted_L

World of Outlaws Sprintcars.  Fantastic racer that reviewers just didn't get (Jason, if you like your racing games fast, furious, and short you should really look for this title.)

I've got a demo of this somewhere that enjoyed quite a bit. I'll have to find it and give this game a shot again.
Zeppo View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Zeppo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-17-2006 at 5:33pm
I know there have been several, but I'm drawing blanks.  I do know that as a gullible youngster, I did enjoy ET.  Maybe more like, happily suffered through ET, surely due to desparate alegiance to the license.  That and Superman on the 2600.
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-17-2006 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by Ted_L

Indycar Series.  Panned by reviewers for being an oval racer.  Hello?

Interesting, that.  In the UK, ICS was received very positively by reviewers.  Seems a bit odd to me but there we are.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-17-2006 at 11:35pm
Adam,

It was your review of ICS at the old CG that got me into that game.  Thank you.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>