Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Games you enjoyed that got panned.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedGames you enjoyed that got panned.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message / View Unread Post
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Games you enjoyed that got panned.
    Posted: 04-18-2006 at 5:16pm
Ted, after what I wrote about FIFA 2004 I think I had a debt to repay LOL  Much like WoO, any negative reviews ICS received are surely more to do with the reviewer than the game.

Another game I've been thinking of, and I don't know if anyone but JC will have any experience of this, is F1 World Grand Prix on PSOne.  There were two of these - one by Lankhor based on the PC game of the same name, and a completely different game developed by Eutechnyx.  The Lankhor one was enjoyable fluff, the Eutechnyx one - reviews in the 4-6 range - breaks my heart now.

There's a tutorial right at the start called the Super Licence test.  Tiff Needell talks you through starting, cornering, braking and then a full lap, all at Hockenheim.  Brilliant driver though he is, he's also a veteran of one Grand Prix - Belgium 1980, and that only came about through Clay Regazzoni's shunt and subsequent paralysis at Long Beach - so you get the feeling they were on a budget.  He's great, though, as is the tutorial itself.  F1 World Grand Prix feels, at this stage, more like driving an F1 car than any other PSOne effort.  Then you start a race weekend.

The handling is marvellous.  The AI races you.  The modelling of tyre wear is, even now, unparallelled.  The only downside is that this great racing, in great cars on realistically worn tyres, happens at about 5 frames per second.  The other cars don't even need to be on track, the game just needs to know they're in a nearby garage and it gives up.  One lap takes an interminably long time, one 16 lap race is a War And Peace affair.  None of the reviews I read mentioned this, so plainly the game was slated for other reasons.  They're wrong, but had they mentioned the way F1WGP downs tools the instant an AI car thinks about running a lap, they'd have been spot on.

I couldn't give it any more than a 5 or 6 either, but I still love that bloody game...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12