Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Wii Sports (golf, baseball, tennis)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWii Sports (golf, baseball, tennis)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message / View Unread Post
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wii Sports (golf, baseball, tennis)
    Posted: 05-08-2006 at 1:09pm
Article

The latest issue of Time Magazine reports that Nintendo is underway with a Wii version of tennis. It is not yet known if this game will be a Mario Tennis entry or something entirely separate. A reporter for Time played a demo of the game and loved it so much that Nintendo had to pry the controller from his hands, in his own words.
In the tentatively titled Wii Tennis, the free-hand style controller becomes a racket, enabling gamers to deliver forehanded and backhanded smacks. Time reports that the "sensors are fine enough that you can scoop under the ball to lob it, or slice it for spin."

IGN will have much more on the game in the coming days.

----

Now that is what I am talking about. I just hope Activisions TH team of artists have nothing to do wtih the game. ;)

Edited for image

The controller better be pretty darn awsome. Shocked Hopefully there will be some Wii Madden screens and videos soon.

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
Zeppo View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Zeppo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-08-2006 at 4:23pm
Holy cow, a new Rayman game?  Is Ancel in charge?  That is tremendous news!
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-09-2006 at 5:54pm
Tennis Impressions

It's fun. Not brilliant. Nintendo Sports Tennis lacks depth on every level and what's there will, we think, eventually wear thin, but that noted we also believe that a game like this will perfectly capture the non-gamers the Big N is chasing nowadays. If a game like this were to ship with Wii as a demo, it'd make a ton of sense.

NOTE: During this hands-on session, it was unknown that Nintendo Sports Tennis would be part of the Wii Sports compilation game. Included sports are Tennis, Golf, and Baseball, all with a stylized look that's designed after 8-bit game design but with full 3D technology.

Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-09-2006 at 5:57pm

Zeppo View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Zeppo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-09-2006 at 6:59pm
I don't know man.  I must be a perfect sucker for everything Nintendo, because that tennis video produced a grin a mile wide on my face for its entirety.  Reading over at Next Gen, it seems like the NIN show was a major breath of fresh air to all attending. 

This Wii sports pack fits right into the classic NIN mold of early releases that demonstrate the technology to a great degree, yet lack the depth many hard-core gamers crave.  I have no problem with that, as it is the quintessential launch title and should serve NIN well with attracting the non-gamer crowd into the party.

Not only did I have a sh*t-eating grin watching the thing, but to see Miyamoto-san smiling so broadly as he ineptly played the game was a thing of beauty.  Isn't this the core of what gaming is all about?

You all know they had me with the initial announcement of the controller, but this E3 showing so far has me amped beyond belief.  Add the Ancel (I assume) headed Rayman game to the supposed launch-release of Zelda, and who can resist, especially if this thing shows up at a price point somewhere south of the PSP?  Not to mention Madden. . . .

All I can say is, he may be a little nuts, but thank God for Miyamoto-san, a true visionary.  Yes, he will miss quite often, but when he hits, it goes a long, long way. 

Great stuff.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-10-2006 at 6:34pm

Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-11-2006 at 10:50am

Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-11-2006 at 10:58am

Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-12-2006 at 1:48pm

by Benny - 05.12.06

Don’t be fooled by their “primitive graphics,” the Wii sport series is definitely one you should be looking for come Wii launch. These little sports games use the Wiimote in some innovative yet familiar ways. Tennis was one of my first experiences, and it was definitely one of the best. Control was simply brilliant… although you do not control the movement of your characters, aiming your shot and power was simply second nature. In fact, I wish I could describe to you exactly HOW I aimed the ball, but it was so natural I wouldn’t be able to tell you. It was simply second nature.

The same thing was similar for Wii Baseball. Simply get into your standard baseball stance and swing away–it’s that simple. The people who seemed to have the most trouble with these games were people who wanted to not look goofy. If you tried to use smaller hand motions, the games would be a lot harder to control. As long as you kept the original spirit of the sport in your mind, it’d be successful.

Graphics are stylized to “hearken back” to the simple 8-bit days, but in 3d. The only thing I’d want would be MORE of them… the great control of the current WiiSports games made me think about the possibilities of something like Wii Bowling, Wii Track and Field, Wii Hockey, Wii Lacrosse, and Wii Swimming were all discussed by as being cool possibilities. They aren’t amazing, but they are quirky and fit the feeling of the games well.

Overall, the WiiSports series of titles were among the most fun Wii experiences out there. They are perfect party games or introductions to the possibilities to the Wiimote and its many uses.

4cr Golf hands-on video
4cr Baseball hands-on video
4cr Tennis hands-on video
4cr Airplane hands-on video

Edgar & Ben Tennis Multiplayer Impression

After we each tried the Single player demo, Ben and I were ready to battle it out in multiplayer. Walking to the special multiplayer booth, we got ready for one of the best multiplayer experience ever. In the 2-player matches you would control two characters, so you could either try to take a first swing with the guy at the net or swing with the guy playing in the back. It was a close match, but in the end, Ben won. Check out our hands-on footage.

4cr Multiplayer tennis hands-on video

Post Reply Post Reply