Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Racing Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedRacing Wheels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message / View Unread Post
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Racing Wheels
    Posted: 06-04-2006 at 7:51am
After spending some time in the arcades while on vacation, I realized how much fun playing a racing game with a steering wheel was. I've thought about buying a Logitech Driving Force Pro since it was first released and am strongly considering it again - especially since I can buy one from Amazon.com for $98 with no tax and free shipping.

Anyone else here use a racing wheel for their games? I have a decent amount of car racers and think it might be worth it. Here's the ones that I own:
  • GT4
  • GT3
  • NASCAR 2003
  • NASCAR 2005
  • NFS: Hot Pursuit
  • NFS: Underground

I may also add 'Outrun 2006' to that list too. I realize that some of them do not support the 900 degree turning feature of the wheel, but I don't mind that too much.

BTW, I was surprised to find out that there are no versions of Sega's 'Daytona' series on the PS2. Does anyone know if there will be?
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-04-2006 at 10:29am
I use the Logitech MOMO on my PC and it's a fine wheel.  I think there is one for the PS2 and it's definitely under $100.  I want to say it was around $69.99
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-04-2006 at 10:43am
I've always had my heart set on the Driving Force Pro and don't mind spending the extra money as long I use it. Do you see a big difference playing with the wheels as opposed to a controller?
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-04-2006 at 9:20pm
Like night and day.
MatthewK View Drop Down
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post Options Post Options   Quote MatthewK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-06-2006 at 3:41pm
Hot Pursuit 2 on the PS2 works perfectly with the Logitech wheel, and amde an already fun racer even better.  That and World of Outlaws were the 2 best racing games with a wheel. A lot of other racing games (like GT3) just didn't feel right with the wheel.

Matt
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-06-2006 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by MatthewK

Hot Pursuit 2 on the PS2 works perfectly with the Logitech wheel, and amde an already fun racer even better.  That and World of Outlaws were the 2 best racing games with a wheel. A lot of other racing games (like GT3) just didn't feel right with the wheel.

Matt

Thanks for the input. I'm surprised to hear the GT3 didn't feel right with the wheel - do you think it's because the GT controls are much more sensitive (less arcadey) than NFS?
MatthewK View Drop Down
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post Options Post Options   Quote MatthewK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-06-2006 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by Jason

Originally posted by MatthewK

Matt

Thanks for the input. I'm surprised to hear the GT3 didn't feel right with the wheel - do you think it's because the GT controls are much more sensitive (less arcadey) than NFS?

Could be.  It's been a while since I played either, but NFS just felt right.  Even though it was more arcade-based, it was more responsive and easier to control.  GT3 wasn't bad, but I just never got comfortable with GT3 and the wheel.  The Nascar Heat game was good with the wheel too.

GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-06-2006 at 7:48pm
Which is somewhat at odds with what I was about to say - GT3 felt better than just about any other game I've ever played with a wheel, but for more arcade-style games (even for something like WRC, which isn't exactly Cruisin' USA) something felt off.  That may have as much to do with my reasons for owning a wheel as anything else - I use mine to increase both the level of control and the level of realism in games with physics that reward me for it, and the arcade racers, fun as they are, don't do that.  Bizarrely, I don't have that problem in the arcades.

I don't have the DF Pro, though, just the original DF.  I've managed to live perfectly happily without the 900 degree function, though I can see the merits of it.  Unless you're playing a game featuring everyday cars (incidentally, PGR3 has recently completely skewed my idea of what an everyday car is - "What shall we drive today, Pater, the F50 GT or the Murcielago?"  "Perhaps you ought consider the McLaren, old chap...") you don't gain anything in immersion either, since a racing car hasn't got anything like 900 degrees of range from lock to lock.

The difference between pad and wheel isn't constant from game to game, but when the game is in tune with the wheel I agree with Ted - it's like night and day.  You've got more control, the ability to be more precise with your inputs, you get much more feedback on the car and track if the FF is good, and even if your experience differs from that, there's something about sitting down for a race with a wheel that feels ridiculously cool.  Go get.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-06-2006 at 8:15pm

I'm glad to hear that you liked the way it felt with GT3 since I'll probably use the DFP the most with GT4 (and GT3). Another reason I'm interested in a wheel is because I have a hard time holding a car steady around turns (ovals), especially with NASCAR games. I wind up lightly tapping the analog stick as opposed to just holding it steady around the turn.

Post Reply Post Reply