Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: The world would be a cold place w/o PS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedThe world would be a cold place w/o PS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order / View Unread Post
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The world would be a cold place w/o PS
    Posted: 06-14-2006 at 3:06pm
I found this quote interesting:

"Kutaragi also mentioned some ways Sony might cut down on the Cell's manufacturing costs. One was adoption of a 65-nanometer process, an event that Kutaragi predicted will occur in 2007."

That wasn't handled any better than Microsoft's blunder. Not that I planned on buying a launch unit, but I'd definitely wait now.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-14-2006 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Jason

...a cold place indeed.

Maybe Sony will smarten up and sell the power supply seperately, that way I could buy that first and save up to buy the system later Wink.

To their credit it sounds like it will be integrated so you do not have a useless brick laying around your entertainment system (ala 360).

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-14-2006 at 2:27pm
...a cold place indeed.

Maybe Sony will smarten up and sell the power supply seperately, that way I could buy that first and save up to buy the system later Wink.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-14-2006 at 1:53pm
Ken is on a roll these days

Kutaragi attributed public interest in Sony to its unique structure, which resembles neither a strictly PC nor an electronics company. "We're kind of the stepson of the industry... But that's why people find us so interesting. The world would be a cold place indeed without the PlayStation."

Lastly, Kutaragi addressed cooling the Cell. "We'll use heat pipes and a custom cooling solution, but the methods used will be common," he said. "We definitely aren't using any proprietary methods... We certainly couldn't fit a liquid cooling system [inside the PS3]... We're spending a lot on heat and electromagnetic interference [management]. The power supply could almost be sold separately."

---

Though he was joking I can just imagine it. $600.00 PS3 and only $49.95 for the power supply.

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
 Post Reply Post Reply