Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: NCAA 2007 Xbox 360 - Let the preorders begin
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNCAA 2007 Xbox 360 - Let the preorders begin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message / View Unread Post
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NCAA 2007 Xbox 360 - Let the preorders begin
    Posted: 01-30-2006 at 5:17pm
I am sure the date is just a filler (7/1 for NCAA and 8/1 for Madden) but last years NCAA came in the middle of July. Now I just need to save up for an Xbox 360 and this bad boy.

Just glad to see it finally mentioned along with Xbox 360.

From EB

NCAA 07
Madden 07

From Gamestop

NCAA 07
Madden 07

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-30-2006 at 5:46pm
Ugh.  I just can't get past those $60 price tags for the games.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-30-2006 at 6:34pm
Those places are so desperate for preorders .
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-30-2006 at 6:34pm
It bothered be at first, but after switching to sports only games, spending far less money and holding off on Xbox 360 at launch I have come to not mind it as much.  Had I shelled out $59.99 for those featureless EA Sports games I might have a different tune. If NCAA 07 is bare bones (no excuses for EA to say we did not have time) then I will change my tune.

I think one advatage to this generation is the ability to download demos first, plus you hsve services like gamefly that allow extended rentals. Things not available years ago on a console.

I paid up to $79.99 for early N64 games with most being $69.99. I was able to muster it as a youngun on what little I earned cutting grass etc.

Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-30-2006 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by Jason

Those places are so desperate for preorders .

No thank you works wonders at those stores. If that fails simply tell them if they mention it again you will knock over all their magazine racks.

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-30-2006 at 6:42pm

I'd like to offer 3 things that would make Gamestop/EBGames a better place to shop:

1. Stop hiring annoying jackasses to work in your stores.
  2. Offer lower prices and have a larger selection than all the other stores since vidoegames are your specialty.
  3. Stop trying to sell used games as new.

Did I mention to stop hiring annoying jackasses to work in your stores?

Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-30-2006 at 7:51pm

I'd like to offer 3 things that would make Gamestop/EBGames a better place to shop:

1. Stop hiring annoying jackasses to work in your stores.
  2. Offer lower prices and have a larger selection than all the other stores since vidoegames are your specialty.
  3. Stop trying to sell used games as new.

Did I mention to stop hiring annoying jackasses to work in your stores?

1. When you pay as poorly as they do you don't expect this one to change. When I walk into a Burger King I do not expect to be killed with kindness, only apprecaite it when it is thrown my way. Of course that is a pretty big generalization on your end as not all EB/GS stores have a bunch of jackasses. Sure it sucks selling magazines and subs but you have to to keep your job if you want to work there. Again it is real easy to just say no. Or if you want to bitch e-mail EB & GS corp. offices since they are the ones who call the shots.  I mean come on pretty much every retail store upsells now. When I worked there we had a pretty good crew. It was the people on the other side of the counter that were the jackasses. ;)

2. You answered your own question. If you are a specialty store with little competition in used game why offer lower prices?  By buying out EBgames you will have even less a chance to see used game prices drop. You do realize they only make 10-15% on new game sales. They break even on selling consoles. It is the used game sales that keep them in business.

3. Sure I hate to get a gutted copy, but it is still new. Again you can say no thanks or ask for another copy, or even a discount. The fact is it is not against the law to sell that product "as new" by simply gutting it or even letting employees take them home to rent. My last truck was sold as new but was driven by the sales manager for a couple weeks before I purchased it. Such is how business works. What they need to do is find a better way to display games or put some security monitors in. Easier said than done when you are dealing with a company that sends employees home early if they run over too many hours. If you saw their computer systems you would realize they are still in the dark ages of in-store technology. It is called POS conveniently enough.

Another thing to remember. IT IS CALLED MSRP...  Manufactuer SUGGESTED retail price. They could call gutted copies "USED" and sell a game at full retail or even higher. Maybe it would make a few of you sleep better at night? I would rather have the new game warranty over the used game warranty myself.

It was the "must have our cake and eat it to" jackasses that abused the return policy and created the lawsuit. Remember they used to let you return OPENED games as NEW and give you a full refund within 7 days. Those same were the ones who cried when they happened to get one of those opened games. Yet they had no problem getting a full refund on what in most cases was a free rental. Should EB & GS have to eat $5 just to let the consumer try games? So they got together and created a couple class-action lawsuits. In the end I think they each got a free game out of the deal. Only the lawyers win on these deals.

If these people were more tollerant toward open games sold as new we would still be able to return games that were opened within a set amount of time and get a full refund.

Now who is the real jackass? (outside of me of course - I already know I am a jackass)

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-30-2006 at 9:00pm

Brent, don't try to rationalize with me when I'm making a rant .

Seriously though, I realize that there are jackasses on both sides of the counter. As a matter of fact, I think 80% of the people in the world are jackasses, but for some reason I just cannot stand those stores.

It's hard to compare it to Burger King because people don't usually ask the employees at Burger King for information on the products like they do in video game stores. To be fair, I can't stand the BS-spewing salesmen at big electronics stores either, but I really get annoyed at the uneducated consumer that walks into these stores with no knowledge of the products and listens to everything these salesmen say. In this day and age of the Internet that is unacceptable. Have you noticed that I may have rage issues .

The thing that bothers me so much about selling opened games as new is that if I returned an open game in perfect condition, I wouldn't get back what I paid for it or even close to it. There's no need for these stores to put the actual gutted cases on the shelves for people to see. Use cardboard displays or get those anti-theft plastic cases that Toys R Us uses.

BTW, don't get me started on the $59 price of next-gen games.

Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-30-2006 at 9:30pm

Brent, don't try to rationalize with me when I'm making a rant .

I just love to argue.

It's hard to compare it to Burger King because people don't usually ask the employees at Burger King for information on the products like they do in video game stores. To be fair, I can't stand the BS-spewing salesmen at big electronics stores either, but I really get annoyed at the uneducated consumer that walks into these stores with no knowledge of the products and listens to everything these salesmen say. In this day and age of the Internet that is unacceptable. Have you noticed that I may have rage issues .

They are always trying to push "upsizing - would you like coke or fries with that or even an apple pie."  To me retai lis retail. Some are higher up on the food chan then others but you can get good or bad service at them all. I just tend to find the lower the pay scale the lower the concern.

The thing that bothers me so much about selling opened games as new is that if I returned an open game in perfect condition, I wouldn't get back what I paid for it or even close to it. There's no need for these stores to put the actual gutted cases on the shelves for people to see. Use cardboard displays or get those anti-theft plastic cases that Toys R Us uses.

If you buy a game, open it and return it to EB or Gamestop it IS considered a used product no matter how good it looks. That much is FACT. There is no benifit by an employee to turn around and sell as new. It benifits the store more to (A) get the trade in (B) Sell it as a used game.  If you knew how their store figures worked it would make more sense, just trust me on that.  Once again there is a difference between BUYING a game, opening it and returning it  vs.  them opening it for a display box. Generally when a person opens a game they do so for a reason. They generally have played it, thus making it a legitimate sale of goods and services. 

Again cost plays a factor and you have thousands of stores to deal with. They feel that they have the best and most economical way of doing it. I assure you they payed some company hudreds of thousands to research this. One of the reasons they gut cases is because people like to TOUCH and LOOK AT THE BACK of games. Then they also love to put it back on the shelf, OUT OF ORDER. It's apparently consumer lay to be a PITA to those who tidy the bins and shelves.

Plus there is far worse. I hate how Kmart and Walmart do it by putting them behind glass. Then having to hunt for the one "key holder" who can open the glass to allow you the minute or two to inspect game and or games you are intrested in.

BTW, don't get me started on the $59 price of next-gen games.

Oh come on it's a forum, heck it's YOUR forum, c'mon you must, you must.

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-30-2006 at 11:17pm

Originally posted by Brent

Oh come on it's a forum, heck it's YOUR forum, c'mon you must, you must.

Ok, since you've got me all fired up.

I realize that next-gen games are going to be more expensive to create, but I really feel that most of these publishing companies raised the prices because they're on a hot new system and know that people will buy the games regardless of the price. I was pissed off when prices increased to $49 this gen from the $39 standard in the PS1 gen. I purchased more PS1 games because of the lower prices.

It's hard to compare the pricing of Xbox 360 games to N64 or even SNES games because they were cartridge based and were literally more expensive to manufacture. I paid around $80 for the Genesis version of SF2 back in the early 90's and loved the price drop for 32-bit generation games.

With Netflix and other rental sources, these gaming companies should be careful with their pricing scheme because a lot of people will start renting more than purchasing. Especially sports gamers who know that a new (and usually better) version of the game will be out every year.

And just for the record, I'm the biggest jackass around. You can ask my wife.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>