Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: PS3 Preorders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPS3 Preorders

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message / View Unread Post
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PS3 Preorders
    Posted: 01-31-2006 at 1:47am
From a thread at videogamereview.com dated 1/24

".....EBGames..............But best of all? he took my name down and put me as #2 on the list for the PS3 Pre-order that they are starting in the next couple of weeks! What a day to remember!"

I can take this two ways.  The optimist in me says that the PS3 will be out this year.  The pessimist in me says that Gamestop/EB is hurting so badly for cash that they will be taking preorders more than a year before the console is released.  Oh yeah, there is that third way I forgot about.  The quote could be bull$hit.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-31-2006 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Ted_L

The pessimist in me says that Gamestop/EB is hurting so badly for cash that they will be taking preorders more than a year before the console is released. 

Jeez you and Jason should start a forum dedicated to the hatred of EB and Gamestop.... Oh wait.

GameStop holiday sales top $1.3 billion

With newly acquired EB stores in tow, specialty game retailer's numbers jump 133 percent for nine-week period.

Though the normal consensus on holiday wish lists is for a white Christmas, the only color retailers want to see is green. With the gaming industry idling between generations of consoles and trying to follow up a record-setting 2004 holiday season, prospects for 2005 weren't so jolly.

However, GameStop did more than just survive the frosty season; the specialty retailer actually performed better than it had anticipated. For the holiday period, the nine weeks ending December 31, 2005, GameStop hauled in almost $1.35 billion. The take represents a 133 percent increase over the same period in 2004, when GameStop (sans Electronic Boutique's near 2,000 stores) sold just under $578 million.

December's comparable store sales rose 8.7 percent, following a disappointing November that lacked the blockbusters of 2004 such as Halo 2 and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

R. Richard Fontaine, GameStop chairman and CEO, gave his explanations for the upswing. "This year's holiday performance was particularly notable as GameStop did a great job of working our business model and generating strong contributions from all categories of the business. While new video game sales were slow in November, they rebounded in December, and we experienced near double-digit growth, but did so on a broad range of titles. Hardware sales were also strong and our used product attracted the value shopper while making a significant contribution to total gross margin increases for the period."

It wasn't all good news for GameStop. Questionable supplies of Xbox 360s made the company downgrade its same-store sales outlook for the quarter. Where the company had expected up to a 2 percent increase in same-store sales, it has revised that to a decrease of as much as .5 percent. Despite that, Fontaine thinks the long-term future looks good, largely because of the acquisition of EB.

"In addition, our merger with Electronics Boutique, completed in October, has already begun to pay off," Fontaine said. "Many 'best practices' were instituted in the quarter, which had significant margin implications and cost savings over the holiday period. And the better news is that we fully expect these synergies to increase as we move through 2006."

As of press time, GameStop's stock is up $3.80 to $37.35 per share (an 11 percent jump) on the news that the company is adjusting its guidance for Q4 and the full year.

By Tim Surette -- GameSpot
Posted Jan 5, 2006 12:40 pm PT

----------------------------------------------

Guess the stockholders are not complaining about them taking pre-orders.

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-31-2006 at 11:41am

Originally posted by Brent

Jeez you and Jason should start a forum dedicated to the hatred of EB and Gamestop.... Oh wait.

I'll take Option 2 closely followed by Option 3, but for the record, I do believe that the PS3 will be out this year.

K_Mosley View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote K_Mosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-31-2006 at 12:25pm

...in Japan...

Kevin

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-31-2006 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by K_Mosley

...in Japan...

I have a feeling they may go with a simultaneous release in the US and Japan. The SCEA Preseident Kaz Harai (spelling?) still says it will be out in the spring of this year.

TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-31-2006 at 12:47pm

I don't hate EB or Gamestop so just knock it off.  I just don't shop in their stores because I don't like the hard sale.  I do use their online services though.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-31-2006 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by Ted_L

I never even posted in that thread.  I don't hate EB or Gamestop so just knock it off.  I just don't shop in their stores because I don't like the hard sale.  I do use their online services though.

I just simply posted a factoid that your pesimistic theory was far from correct. The rest was in jest. No need to get pissy.

= Funny Hah hah (blushing)

I would hate to have to make a disclaimer everytime I joke around.

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-31-2006 at 2:08pm
If it was in jest then I over reacted.

I would hate for you to have to make a disclaimer too.  I don't always know how to take you though since I've seen you get into pissing matches at another forum repeatedly.  Whether you have been right or wrong doesn't even concern me, but it's obvious you like to debate and occasionally antagonize.  For whatever reason that is in your personality and for whatever reason it is something that I don't dig being on the receiving end of.  That's probably not what you were doing here and I see that now.  I'm just always a bit leery of your responses when they sound like this.  Hence, the knock it off.

I apologize for over reacting.
 Post Reply Post Reply