Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Apparently TXB has run out of XBL games to review
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedApparently TXB has run out of XBL games to review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Legend
Legend

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Apparently TXB has run out of XBL games to review
    Posted: 08-21-2006 at 6:21pm
TXB looks into crystal ball and sees the PS3 in 3rd place

Time for a new crystal ball me thinks.

And the winner is...

While the Nintendo Wii will not win the overall numbers battle in terms of sales, it succeeds in that it brings Nintendo into the public consciousness once again – something the GameCube failed to do. The PS3 will sell well, but not nearly as well as the PS2 has in the past half-decade, and with a price cut for the Xbox 360 on the distant horizon, the bundle of a Wii and 360 will become even more attractive than it will be this fall. The real winner of the next-gen wars will be the Nintendo Wii because it will change the gaming paradigm so effectively, forcing Sony and Microsoft to change their thinking once the next round of consoles come around. The Xbox 360's head start proves to be enough to fend off the PS3, and the Nintendo Wii falls into second position with its new gameplay mechanic and the offering of classic games. The margin between the three is much slimmer than in this past generation, but when the dust settles our industry will have a new leader.

I thought nothing could top this article

I was wrong.

I plan on getting the 360 but you have to be pretty nearsighted to think Sony won't end up back in first place. I mean for cripes sake the PS2 is still outselling the 360.

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
K_Mosley View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote K_Mosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-21-2006 at 9:15pm
I don't know, man...  $600 freakin' dollars, plus accessories and games!  That brings back memories of the 3DO console!

I think it's still up in the air.  Sony hasn't sold one PS3 yet...  (As I said before, though, I still don't quite understand who keeps buying PS2's!)

Kevin
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-21-2006 at 10:20pm
I kinda agree with Kevin. I think Sony is going to have a hard time grabbing the top spot this time around. The price of the PS3 is going to hurt it the most and Sony seems more concerned with winning the HD-DVD war more than the next-gen console war. I've been wrong before though (I predicted the PSP would bury the DS in sales).

Brent, just because the PS2 is outselling the Xbox360 doesn't mean the PS3 will too. The PS2 is only $129 (not $600) and I really feel that Sony caught lightning in a bottle with the PS2. I just don't see another console having the insane amount of success as the PS2 anytime soon. 

Let's not forget, no one would have thought Nintendo would be in third place after their dominance in the late eighties and early nineties.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-22-2006 at 3:01pm
Yes but the PS2 has staying power that we have never seen from a current gen console, competing against a next gen system. Sony has a loyal following and I do not think the price will be an issue for many of those people. They are saving up their money and come November the PS3 will sell like hotcakes and shortages will exist once again. Also the PS3 will once again dominate Japan and in many areas of Europe. You have to factor in worldwide figures and with that in mind the PS3 wins going away.  The 360 might tighten the gap in the US but I still see PS3 winning this region. If anything the Wii will hurt future sales of the 360. I just do not see a large % of the market owning a 360 and PS3, as they both offer so many of the same games. I see alot of PS3 and wii owners in the future.

If I had to predict (Worldwide)

PS3
Wii

Both the Wii and 360 close the gap between the PS3 and 2nd 3rd place compared to the current gen.

To give an idea of how it breaks down in each territory here are the #'s by the end of 2005

Worldwide Hardware Sales (End of 2005)
PS2 - 101.37 million
Xbox - 24 million
GameCube - 20.61 million
Xbox 360 - 1.5 million
Game Boy Advance - 74.25 million
PSP - 15.03 million
Nintendo DS - 14.43 million

North America
PS2 - 40.99 million
Xbox - 16 million
GameCube - 12 million
Xbox 360 - 0.9 million
Game Boy Advance - 37.55 million
PSP - 5.81 million
Nintendo DS - 4.63 million

Japan / Asia
PS2 - 22.83 million
Xbox - 2 million
GameCube - 3.98 million
Xbox 360 - 0.1 million
Game Boy Advance - 16.47 million
PSP - 4.2 million
Nintendo DS - 5.7 million

Europe / PAL
PS2 - 37.55 million
Xbox - 6 million
GameCube - 4.64 million
Xbox 360 - 0.5 million
Game Boy Advance - 20.23 million
PSP - 5.02 million
Nintendo DS - 4.1 million

Three Home Consoles (Xbox, GameCube, PS2)
North America - 68.99 million (47.3%)
Japan / Asia - 28.81 million (19.7%)
Europe / PAL - 48.19 million (33.0%)
Worldwide - 145.98 million

--------------------------------------------------

Worldwide Hardware Sales (End of June 2006)
PS2 - 106.23 million
Xbox - 24.5 million (unofficially estimated)
GameCube - 21 million
Xbox 360 - 5 million
Game Boy Advance - 75.81 million
Nintendo DS - 21.27 million
PSP - 19.05 million

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
 Post Reply Post Reply