Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Any my new console is...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAny my new console is...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Legend
Legend

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any my new console is...
    Posted: 11-03-2006 at 9:25pm

With

And I promise I never saw PK's post until today on his purchase of a DS. Shocked me when I saw it.  Just not ready for the next-gen systems and will wait for the 360 to get the new CPU. I will probably get a Wii for my Zelda and Mario fetish early next year and it might end up being the first next-gen system I get. Of course CH 2K7, MVP 07 and WE could sway me to get a 360 earlier.

I have learned not to question the inner voices that make my gaming purchases. Embarrassed

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-03-2006 at 9:59pm
Congrats on the purchase. I always knew you were a Nintendo fanboy WinkLOL.

I've been playing my son's GBA a bit since his birthday yesterday. I did get hand cramps even though I don't have big hands. I'd love to have a portable become my main/only console, but I don't see that happening any time soon. The GBA games are fun, but they don't really hold my interest that long.
Jackdog View Drop Down
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jackdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-04-2006 at 8:14am
I hope you like it brother. Congrats!

I am getting a Wii at Christmas for Dom. His Gamecube has never crapped out after countless hours of use. He can use all his GC games with it as well.  He has at least 30 GC games, so it's kind of a no brainer for me.

The 360 has fallen off my radar. I don't want to deal with the problems that seem to plague it. I love my Xbox and as long I can get my sports gaming fix from it on the cheap I am happy.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-04-2006 at 1:36pm
I had a blast with it last night. The screen on the DS Lite is extremely bright and you do not have the annoying side glow that popped up with the GBA SP.

I started with Mario and have gotten most of the way through the first world. I love the sidescolling platformers and this is just what I needed.

The golf game got average reviews but is really good and the game I spent the most time with. Name another console/handheld golf game where you can actually WHIFF during the shot (by missing the ball completely with the stylus). Also nice to play a game where you actually find the rough on numerous occasions. It is starting to get easier but the stylus screen is not bad at all. If anything they made it a little to forgiving for the long run.  There are 15 courses and as you unlock them they become harder layouts, to assist with the difficulty though. It has all the little touches. Heck, you can even play one of the courses with it snowing.

Minish Cap is the only Zelda Game I had not played which is why I added it to the library. I love the Zelda series more than any other, including NCAA. Just played it long enough to get to the actual gameplay. This one, like Oracle of Ages and Seasons, was made by Capcom for Nintendo and it has the same feel to it. Just get me to the dungeons, I love Zelda dungeons.

Wii will definitely become my first next system purchase. I have read up on Zelda: Twilight Princess and that game must be mine. Hopefully by the end of the year, or early next year. Also it is nice that all the games will be $49.99 or less. I need to put some time in with my DS first, so I will avoid getting one at launch.

The 360, EA, console failures and the microtransactions have simply turned me off the desire to get one right now. I think I might just stick with DS and Wii and wait until next fall to see what the PS3/360 versions of NCAA/Madden look like. I might end up forsaking the 360 for the PS3 if the games look noticeably better and Sony puts their foot down on how these companies are handling (extra game content).

Nintendo Fanboy? You damn skippy. Glad to be back in your world Miyamoto.

Jackdog View Drop Down
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jackdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-04-2006 at 3:08pm

Sounds good Brent. Enjoy!

Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-04-2006 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by Jackdog

Thanks JD,

Enjoying it so much I picked a couple more games that were cheap.  Advanced Wars DS and Sonic Rush.

Jackdog View Drop Down
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jackdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-04-2006 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by Brent

Thanks JD,

Enjoying it so much I picked a couple more games that were cheap.  Advanced Wars DS and Sonic Rush.

It's that good huh? Man if you want an Xbox I have one. Dominic is giving it up at no charge. What a great kid.Wink

Let me know where to send it if you do.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-04-2006 at 6:27pm

It's that good huh? Man if you want an Xbox I have one. Dominic is giving it up at no charge. What a great kid.Wink

Let me know where to send it if you do.

Appreciate the offer but I already got rid of my Xbox games. Tell Dom I said hello and thanks.

TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-04-2006 at 6:43pm
Brent,

Can you tell me anything about Advance Wars?  I heard that it is very good and very addictive.  What is it like?
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-04-2006 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by Ted_L

Brent,

Can you tell me anything about Advance Wars?  I heard that it is very good and very addictive.  What is it like?

Have yet to play the DS version (still waiting to open it, which will have to wait for the OU-T&M game) and only had limited time with the GBA version, and that was years ago. It is a turned based game similar to Risk, only far more advanced. I always see people who refer to it as a cross between Risk and Command and Conquer. I love Risk & C&C so it should be right up my alley.

Wikpedia has a good breakdown of how the game is played.

Advance Wars and it links to what was new in AW2 in the GBA

Advance Wars Dual Strike (for the DS)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>