Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Xbox 360 Survey
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedXbox 360 Survey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Xbox 360 Survey
    Posted: 11-10-2006 at 4:43pm
Hopefully EVERY Wii game will support 480p and widescreen modes. That would be better than nothing.

Thanks for the link Brent. I'll check out the Wii's online features.

For the record, I was a big supporter of the original Xbox before it was released and never actually bought one. I still don't have anything bad to say about the Xbox but I've been more than satisfied with my PS2 and never felt the need to supplement it with an Xbox.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-10-2006 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by Jason

Hopefully EVERY Wii game will support 480p and widescreen modes. That would be better than nothing.

Q: Can Wii do 480 progressive scan and 16:9 widescreen output?

A: Yes. GameCube could output to 480p and 16:9 widescreen, as many games proved. Wii can do the same. In fact, while only a handful of GCN titles supported both visual options, the majority if Wii games - but not all - will run in 480p and 16:9 widescreen modes.

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-10-2006 at 4:49pm
Early PS3 reviews have not been kind

PlayStation 3 Reviews

Genji: Days of the Blade
IGN
6/10
GameSpot
6.4/10
GameBrink
59/100
Tony Hawk's Project 8
GamingTrend
91/100
Tony Hawk's Project 8
GameSpot
7.3/10
Tony Hawk's Project 8
Gaming Illustrated
88/100
Tony Hawk's Project 8
GameBrink
68/100
Tony Hawk's Project 8
IGN
7/10
Tony Hawk's Project 8
GameTrailers
8.8/10

IGN says the slowdown in THP8 is horrid, even worse than the 360 version. Dipping to 15FPS in some spots.

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-10-2006 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by Brent

Q: Can Wii do 480 progressive scan and 16:9 widescreen output?

A: Yes. GameCube could output to 480p and 16:9 widescreen, as many games proved. Wii can do the same. In fact, while only a handful of GCN titles supported both visual options, the majority if Wii games - but not all - will run in 480p and 16:9 widescreen modes.

That's a shame and there's no good reason that every game doesn't support 480p/ws. I realize that Nintendo's going after the casual gamer, but even some of those have HDTV's and would like their games to look as good as possible too.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-10-2006 at 4:54pm

K_Mosley View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote K_Mosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-10-2006 at 6:25pm

Not hating on the 360, although I might be "secretly" hating on the PS3!  Evil%20Smile

I'm still debating a 360, but I wonder if it's really worth that investment without a hi-def TV.  I know Adam said a while back that there was definitely a difference, but to me, is it a $400+ difference?! 

The Wii is intriguing.  I was intrigued by the Gamecube as well, and almost picked one up several times. 

I guess I'm still on the fence; but I know I'm not buying a PS3!  (Couldn't get one if I wanted it, anyway...)

Kevin

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-10-2006 at 6:36pm

Early PS3 reviews have not been kind

IGN says the slowdown in THP8 is horrid, even worse than the 360 version. Dipping to 15FPS in some spots.

That's completely inexcusable for the publishers and developers. It's also one of the reasons that I'm in no rush to jump on the next-gen bandwagon. The fact that ANY 360 or PS3 games have such severe slowdown annoys me to no end.
koebner View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote koebner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-11-2006 at 2:09pm

Koebner,

There really is not a big difference in 480p games and 720p/1080i games on the Xbox. I have played most of them and in many cases (MVP 06) the HD version looks worse and has a framerate that chugs.  The Wii offers 480p and widescreen mode which should be more then enough for what they are trying to accomplish.

I respectfully disagree as to that;I have virtually every HD Xbox game and there is a huge difference to these eyes.MVP 05/06 have framerate issues using the discs but not running from the hard drive.The detail and color saturation are much better.
Newer games like MK Armageddon and Scarface really shine.

I am definitely not anti-Wii,I just find the lack of true Hi-Def puzzling and possibly problematic for the console.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-11-2006 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by koebner

I am definitely not anti-Wii,I just find the lack of true Hi-Def puzzling and possibly problematic for the console.

I guess to some it will be. The majority of people interested in the Wii will be doing so for one of two reasons.

1) They love Nintendo games: Mario, Zelda, etc.    Also another BIG plus to the Wii launch is this is the first Nintendo console to LAUNCH with a Zelda Game.  NOTE: See why this is important at the bottom.

2) They want a different gaming experience and the Wii controller provides that.

Do we really need 3 systems that graphics and HD gaming are the #1 priority?

Still disagree on the 720p Xbox games but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It's a minimal difference in my eyes and no matter how you run MVP 06, the field textures, especially the infield, looks FAR worse.

From IGN Hands On:

If Wii Sports is for the non-gamers, Twilight Princess is for the hardcore. After I spent 10 hours with the game, I barely managed to squeak by two temples, with the third so far off that I could scarcely imagine getting there, let alone approach the objective. (For the record, out of 30 or so journalists, nobody came close to the third temple.) I asked how long it took Nintendo's testers to complete the entire game the first time through. The answer is a whopping 70-plus hours. Adding insult to injury, diabolical Nintendo translator and localization manager Bill Trinen told me that he was working on his second play-through of the game. Knowing what to do and where to go, and skipping cut-scenes, Trinen said that he had logged about 27 hours to make it approximately two thirds of the way through the temples themselves - and that doesn't account for any of the side quests or time-sucks like fishing, a single operation that could easily add hours upon hours to Zelda's depth.

When publishers claim that their games are 50 hours long, seasoned players usually half that number for the truth. But with Twilight Princess, I think we can really look forward to a 50-plus-hour adventure, bare minimum. This quest will keep you busy through the holidays and beyond. So, I'm pondering this revelation a lot as I try to imagine how in the hell I'm going to find the time to beat Zelda and still review 30 other games for the Wii launch. Of course, that's more than a little terrifying, but at the same time I am absolutely thrilled by the prospect of spending some quality time with Link, Epona, and Zelda again. Oh yeah, and Midna, too.

There's no way to know for sure how it'll all turn out yet, as even with 10 hours under my belt I've only scratched the surface. However, if the game keeps up or gets better - as Nintendo's people promise that it does - there is simply no way that the adventure will remembered as anything but a masterful classic and quite possibly the best launch title in the history of the business.

That is how you launch a system. With an Epic game that has extreme staying power in the single player mode. Some might find it too long, but Zelda fans think differently.

Hopefully by Christams I will be enjoying a Wii and Zelda. I won't need any other games, outside rentals for a good month or two.  Then in March, by the time most have finished Zelda, Mario Galaxy will have been released.

P.S.  You get all that, for a mere $49.99.  ;)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234