Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Cnet reviews the Wii and PS3
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCnet reviews the Wii and PS3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Legend
Legend

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cnet reviews the Wii and PS3
    Posted: 11-14-2006 at 1:42pm
PS3 Review

Wii Review

360 Review (from it's launch)

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-14-2006 at 1:54pm
I haven't finished reading the entire reviews yet but this jumped out at me about the Wii:

"requires a wired receiver unit placed near the TV to interface with wireless controllers"

That kinda sucks if you ask me.
dbdynsty25 View Drop Down
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post Options Post Options   Quote dbdynsty25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-20-2006 at 4:20am
Originally posted by Jason

I haven't finished reading the entire reviews yet but this jumped out at me about the Wii:

"requires a wired receiver unit placed near the TV to interface with wireless controllers"

That kinda sucks if you ask me.

How else do you expect the controller to actually talk to the console?  It's not like a wireless Xbox controller where the orientation doesn't matter...it actually does matter, thus requiring a centered location.  They assume that most people can't stick their Wii on top or right underneath their tv.  Seems pretty logical and necessary to me.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-20-2006 at 7:31am
To be honest, I did think the Wii controller would work just like any other wireless controller. My TV happens to be in an enclosed area (a wall unit) and there's no place to put a receiver either above or below it.

Sorry Brent, now I have a REAL excuse not to buy a Wii Wink.
Zeppo View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Zeppo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-22-2006 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by Jason

To be honest, I did think the Wii controller would work just like any other wireless controller.

And yet, the whole point of the Wii is that the controller does a heck of a lot of things no other controller is capable of, or weren't you aware of that information?  If the Wii-mote operated just like any other wireless controller, there wouldn't be much point to the Wii, I don't imagine.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-22-2006 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by Zeppo

And yet, the whole point of the Wii is that the controller does a heck of a lot of things no other controller is capable of, or weren't you aware of that information?  If the Wii-mote operated just like any other wireless controller, there wouldn't be much point to the Wii, I don't imagine.

Big%20smile Jason knows darn well what the Wii controller can do.  And people say I love to stir the pot. Embarrassed

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
Zeppo View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Zeppo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-22-2006 at 4:43pm
My bad!  I hadn't followed the other threads deriding the wii and its controller.  I just found it a little surprising that one would think the wii remote was just like any other wireless controller, that's all.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-22-2006 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by Zeppo

My bad!  I hadn't followed the other threads deriding the wii and its controller.  I just found it a little surprising that one would think the wii remote was just like any other wireless controller, that's all.

I meant that it was "like any other wireless controller" in that a remote sensor on the console would be all that was needed for it to function. I didn't know that an additional, wired sensor, placed on the TV, would be necessary for the Wii controller to work.
Zeppo View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Zeppo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-22-2006 at 5:51pm
Got ya!  Sorry about that.  I was actually pleasantly surprised to hear it only needs one small sensor.  I was worried it would require four sensors, one at each corner, or two long sensors, one on top and one on the bottom.  I'm not sure how accurate it can be with the one sensor, in a light-gun type of way, but it seems from people's impressions that the accuracy is good even with the one wee little sensor, and it's more up to the game itself as to how well it works. 
 Post Reply Post Reply