Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Hey Jack if your going to quote the bible...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHey Jack if your going to quote the bible...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Legend
Legend

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hey Jack if your going to quote the bible...
    Posted: 03-19-2007 at 8:58pm
Get the author right and no this was not made up....

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/13035/Jack-Thompson-Goes-Messianic/

Last month, we reported that U.S. attorney and Christian conservative activist Jack Thompson is threatening Take-Two for Grand Theft Auto IV ahead of the game's October 17, 2007 release.

Last week, it was revealed that Take-Two is suing Thompson for trying to declare GTA IV and Manhunt 2 public nuisances.

Now, the legal battle between Take-Two and Jack Thompson continues and in the latest round, Thompson has gone messianic by including several biblical allegations and explanations for this crusade against GTA. The following is an open letter issued by Thompson.

We swear to God we haven't modified the text below. Seriously.

Dear Gamers and Gamer Publications on the Internet and Elsewhere:

I have been praying, literally, that Take-Two and its lawyers would do something so stupid, so arrogant, so dumb, even dumber than what they have to date done, that such a misstep would enable me to destroy Take-Two. With the filing of this SLAPP lawsuit last week, my prayers are finally answered.

This lawsuit, filed in US District Court for the Southern District of Florida, is, without a doubt, the single dumbest thing I have ever seen any lawyers do in my thirty years of practicing law -- while in continuous good standing to do so with The Florida Bar, I might add, the shock radio and video game industry's efforts notwithstanding.

I encourage folks to read Psalm 35, a Psalm of David, which is brilliant in its entirety (since God Himself wrote it), but for those who don't own a Bible or who think their hands will catch on fire if they touch one, here is the salient portion that applies to this lawsuit:

7 For without cause have they hid for me their net in a pit, which without cause they have digged for my soul.

8 Let destruction come upon him at unawares; and let his net that he hath hid catch himself: into that very destruction let him fall.

9 And my soul shall be joyful in the LORD: it shall rejoice in his salvation.

The pit Take-Two has dug for itself will be patently clear next week when I strike back. Oh, and by the way, the entire Take-Two management and board will be gone on March 23, so this pit-digging comes at a very bad time indeed.

Amen, and Praise be to God Almighty, maker of Heaven, Earth, and yes, the maker even video games.

Jack Thompson

God wrote Psalm 35?   If you are going to quote the bible for such trivial stuff at the very least get the facts straight. That way your trip to hell will be less painful. UP Next: Jack Thompson accuses Jesus Christ of being the real mastermind behind the musical, Jesus Christ Superstar.

P.S. To the hypocrites at TXB.  It's not nice to swear to God. Embarrassed

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-23-2007 at 12:03pm
This guy is just too funny. I will just keep posting them here in one thread.

From one of the game publishers who posts at Neo GAF

nextgengames
(Today, 04:37 PM)

Jack Thomson is sueing me, you and Take2

In a recent court filing decided he would sue me, you and Take2 because he cant seen to get his way. Ive been trying to find the actual filing but I know he filed it the United States District Court For the southern district of Florida and case number is 07-20693-civ-altonaga.

Excerpts published online state "Take-Two, either directly or through its agents, including but not limited to Blank Rome, has collaborated and conspired with third parties to commit these racketeering activites (sic, including but not limited to the Entertainment Software Association, the Entertainment Software Rating Board, the Entertainment Consumer Association, Gamepolitics, Kotaku, Gamespot, ign, Game Informer, Electronic Gaming Weekly, Penny Arcade, Doug Lowenstein, and others"

As one who runs a publication and recieves support from Take2 I suppose I better consider myself under the "others". He's also filed this under RICO laws. (same stuff they used to bring in the mafia)

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-23-2007 at 12:18pm
Some people just have waaaaay too much time on their hands. Luckily, Jack Thompson hasn't accomplished much of anything in his crusade against videogames.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-23-2007 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by Jason

Some people just have waaaaay too much time on their hands. Luckily, Jack Thompson hasn't accomplished much of anything in his crusade against videogames.

He has senators and other politicians ears on both side of the party line.

If somehow Hillary became President, were screwed. LOL

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-23-2007 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by Brent

He has senators and other politicians ears on both side of the party line.

If somehow Hillary became President, were screwed. LOL

If Hillary became president, we'd have alot more problems than just videogame bans Wink.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-23-2007 at 12:39pm
So true...

PA chips in

Like former ESA head Doug Lowenstein, I think that even referring to Jack Thompson empowers him, potentially even summoning him, not unlike Candyman. But he's appended us to his latest hijinx for some reason - that is to say he started it. This is (as our foes will tell you!) "fabulously unwise."

Having obliterated him and donated to charity in a single profound act, we are usually content to endure his most recent eruption - confident that the "nice lady" will arrive soon, in possession of the "happy needle." But seriously: racketeering? That's giving me some credit.

We detest and confound you because you're an asshole. There is no greater conspiracy - or, if there is, we are not party to it. I love the idea that we act as media hitmen for hire, I love the drama and the romance of it. But it's not mystical or sinister: it's what you might call "media physics." You put out something we disagree with, and then (as by some natural inclination of the universe) we respond to it. It's still legal to disagree with you, right? I sometimes forget which country I live in.

Post Reply Post Reply