Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
News Desk (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Sports Gaming Nation Archive : News Desk
Subject Topic: I finally bought one!!! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Jason
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: November 26 2005 at 11:06am | IP Logged Quote Jason

After years of wanting to buy a hi-def widescreen tv, I finally bought one this afternoon. I settled for a 30" tube tv because it needs to fit into my existing wall unit, although I've always prefered the picture quality of tube tvs. I can't wait to watch DVDs and play videogames on this thing.

The model I purchased is a Sony KV-30HS420. Here's a pic:

Sony TV

Back to Top View Jason's Profile Search for other posts by Jason Visit Jason's Homepage

Zeppo

Posted: November 26 2005 at 11:20am | IP Logged Quote Zeppo

Congrats on stepping into the WORLD OF THE FUTURE! lol

If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to help you
out.
Back to Top View Zeppo's Profile Search for other posts by Zeppo

Ted

Posted: November 26 2005 at 11:35am | IP Logged Quote Ted

Jason,

I bought my Zenith tube 32" 4:3 a couple of years ago and have enjoyed it very much.  In retrospect maybe I should have gone 16:9, but my set was on sale too and I got it for under 1k.

I'm sure you will be amazed at some of the differences in picture quality.  Watching sporting events in particular is greatly enhanced.  I think the only thing in our rotation that takes advantage of the progressive scan right now is NBA2k6, but you can now play NCAA in widescreen if you choose to.

Are you going to get cable or satellite HD?  Or are you planning on trying to get some over-air signal?

Congrats!

Ted

SGN NCAA Football 06 Season Champion University of Kentucky Widcats 5-6 (2-0)
Back to Top View Ted's Profile Search for other posts by Ted Visit Ted's Homepage

Jason
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: November 26 2005 at 11:45am | IP Logged Quote Jason

Thanks guys.

I used to buy a ton of home theater equipment before I had kids and this is the first new addition I've bought in over 5 years.

I have a Comcast digital cable box that offers HD programming. Ted, I can't wait to see how NCAA looks in widescreen

Back to Top View Jason's Profile Search for other posts by Jason Visit Jason's Homepage

Ted

Posted: November 26 2005 at 12:23pm | IP Logged Quote Ted

Well, don't expect a world changing event, but I think you can see your wideouts a little better lol.  What I still want to see is GT4 in 1080.

SGN NCAA Football 06 Season Champion University of Kentucky Widcats 5-6 (2-0)
Back to Top View Ted's Profile Search for other posts by Ted Visit Ted's Homepage

Jason
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: November 26 2005 at 12:41pm | IP Logged Quote Jason

LOL. It may be world changing to me. I played NBA 2K6 on my 32" TV with an S-video connection for the first time today and was blown away with how good it looked. I've been playing all of my PS2 games on an older 27" TV with the standard RCA connections in my converted garage/playroom/office for the past few months.

Jason
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: November 27 2005 at 3:58pm | IP Logged Quote Jason

I picked up a set of component video cables for my PS2 in anticipation of my new TV. Now I can move my S-video cable over to my spare TV & PS2.

Jason
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: November 30 2005 at 8:17am | IP Logged Quote Jason

I just made delivery arrangements with the freight company and should have my TV sometime between 9am - 2pm on Thursday!!!

Jason
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: December 01 2005 at 8:36pm | IP Logged Quote Jason

After playing around with the TV, I'm very pleased with my purchase. DVD's look great, which is the main reason I wanted the TV, and most of my PS2 games look pretty good too.

The games I've tried out so far are NCAA Football 06, MVP 2005 and NBA 2K6. Although NCAA doesn't support progressive scan, my TV has a feature called DRC (Digital Reality Creation), which upconverts non-HD signals to 480P. While I've always been skeptical of upconverting due to artifacting, I haven't seen a hint of it yet. What's even better is that there is no screen flickering in the background while playing NCAA Football (which is something that's bothered me since Madden 2002).

I also tried a few progressive scan games (MVP & NBA 2K6) running in native 480p mode and then letting the TV upconvert the image (by not setting the progressive scan option in the game) and could not see a difference with the image. NBA 2K6 actually ran and looked better with the progressive scan option turned off because it elimanated the slowdown that was present when it was on. What's even better is that I don't have to concern myself with which games support 480p because I'm just going to let my tv upconvert all the images anyway.

Widescreen (16:9) mode is a completely different story though. I'm just glad that most of EA's game support a widescreen mode because those games really shine when upconverted to 480p. I'm really looking forward to re-playing alot of games in my library with the new tv.

On a side note, whoever said that standard cable (NTSC) images look terrible on  HD sets was correct. I'm going to upgrade my digital cable box to one that supports HDTV.

Jason
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: December 03 2005 at 1:44pm | IP Logged Quote Jason

I just found out from my cable company (Comcast) that there is no addition charge for their HDTV cable box since I'm a "Digital Silver" subscriber. I'm heading out to the local office tonight to pick up the new box and will hopefully be watching football in HD tomorrow (for my first time ever).

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version