Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
News Desk (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Sports Gaming Nation Archive : News Desk
Subject Topic: Man sues Microsoft over alleged Xbox 360 glitch Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Jason
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: December 05 2005 at 1:48pm | IP Logged Quote Jason

Xbox 360A Chicago man who bought Microsoft's new Xbox 360 has sued the software maker, saying the new video game console has a design flaw that causes it to overheat and freeze up.

The proposed class action suit claims that in Microsoft's bid to gain share in the $25 billion global video game market, the company was so intent on releasing the Xbox 360 before competing next-generation machines from Sony and Nintendo that it sold a "defectively designed" product.

Robert Byers, who brought the suit, said the power supply and central processing unit in the Xbox 360 overheat, affecting heat-sensitive chips and causing the console to lock up.

Complaints about the problem surfaced quickly on game enthusiast Web sites after the Xbox 360 debuted on Nov. 22.

Console owners reported that some systems had crashed during regular use, as well as during online gameplay using the Xbox Live service. Problems included screens going black and the appearance of a variety of error messages.

At the time, a Microsoft spokeswoman told Reuters: "We have received a few isolated reports of consoles not working as expected."

She declined to say how many reports Microsoft had received and said that calls reporting the issue to the company represented a "very, very small fraction" of units sold.

The lawsuit, filed on Friday in federal court in Illinois, seeks unspecified damages and litigation-related expenses, as well as the replacement or recall of Xbox 360 game consoles.

Microsoft representatives were not immediately available for comment on Monday.

Source: ZDNet.com

Back to Top View Jason's Profile Search for other posts by Jason Visit Jason's Homepage

Ted

Posted: December 05 2005 at 2:17pm | IP Logged Quote Ted

Without getting a heated "the judicial system is out of control" discussion going (and please let's don't), if the man's unit is truly defective he has to be so far within warranty that I don't understand the lawsuit.

Now, in the unspecified damages portion maybe this caused damage to his TV or some other piece of electronics that he uses, but a class action lawsuit this early seems strange.

Ted

SGN NCAA Football 06 Season Champion University of Kentucky Widcats 5-6 (2-0)
Back to Top View Ted's Profile Search for other posts by Ted Visit Ted's Homepage

Jason
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: December 05 2005 at 2:48pm | IP Logged Quote Jason

I've never trusted the first run of any console. There always seems to be a problem with the initial shipment of every console and it's another reason why I always hold off a year before buying a new console.

Ted, I think this guy is filing a class action lawsuit because it seems that this problem is somwhat more widespread than Microsoft is admitting. I agree though, if Microsoft does a good job of honoring their warranty, a class action lawsuit is a bit extreme.

Back to Top View Jason's Profile Search for other posts by Jason Visit Jason's Homepage

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version