Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
The Locker Room (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Sports Gaming Nation Archive : The Locker Room
Subject Topic: PES5 / WE9 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Ted

Online Status: Offline
Posted: January 04 2006 at 9:45pm | IP Logged Quote Ted

Kev,

I played Fifa for a bit over Christmas with my son.  I found it to be improved, but I can safely predict that when WE9 hits you won't play Fifa anymore, unless you can't live without all the licensed teams.

SGN NCAA Football 06 Season Champion University of Kentucky Widcats 5-6 (2-0)
Back to Top View Ted's Profile Search for other posts by Ted Visit Ted's Homepage

Toper
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: January 05 2006 at 2:12am | IP Logged Quote Toper

Ted wrote:
...I can safely predict that when WE9 hits you won't play Fifa anymore...

That is so true, but at least this year's version of fifa is a serviceable fill-in.
Back to Top View Toper's Profile Search for other posts by Toper

K_Mosley

Posted: January 05 2006 at 10:25am | IP Logged Quote K_Mosley

I hope you're right, Ted...  But I do like playing with my Crew, and Fulham, etc. 

Maybe there's room for both?

Kevin

Ted

Posted: January 05 2006 at 12:06pm | IP Logged Quote Ted

K_Mosley wrote:

I hope you're right, Ted...  But I do like playing with my Crew, and Fulham, etc. 

Maybe there's room for both?

Kevin

There's room for whatever you can fit into your rotation.  I'm not trying to bad mouth Fifa.  Given a choice between the two I'm going to choose WE9 every time, but I know there are people that will like Fifa more.  Just like I choose Hitz Pro over every hockey title ever released even though the majority consider the 2k series far superior.

I wouldn't want to talk you off a game you enjoy playing.

SGN NCAA Football 06 Season Champion University of Kentucky Widcats 5-6 (2-0)
Back to Top View Ted's Profile Search for other posts by Ted Visit Ted's Homepage

GB_Simo
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: January 06 2006 at 5:09am | IP Logged Quote GB_Simo

Kev, room for both?  If there's room for God knows how many Formula One games in my collection, there's room for two football games in yours.  Fret not, good Sir...

There is still room for FIFA and PES, by the way - much as EA are seen as slowly edging towards a Pro Evo style of play, the difference between the two games is still pronounced.  It's nice to be able to say that the gap in quality is smaller, though.

Finally dug out Pro Evo this morning for another run at things and I still don't know what I disliked about the advantage rule - it's been played quite well in all the matches I've had so far.  It'll come to me, one day.

Pressed for time at the minute, more to come this evening with luck.

Cheers,
Adam 

Edit: I meant tomorrow...

K_Mosley

Posted: January 06 2006 at 9:52pm | IP Logged Quote K_Mosley

At least EA has made FIFA's control scheme more like WE's.  I always hate having more than game for a specific sport, because I have trouble switching between control layouts.

I do love my licenses.  Might have to put both in the "library."  Might get a 360 before WE hits, too, so that could obviously affect things! 

Kevin

GB_Simo
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: January 12 2006 at 5:08pm | IP Logged Quote GB_Simo

Right - what I didn't like about the advantage rule was something that came over from PES4.  Sometimes if your player is fouled and the referee plays advantage, the ball might strike another of your players in the face before you can react and fizz out of play or cause you to lose possession.  In that case, my reading of things is that play should be called back since you can't reasonably have been said to gain any advantage from being hit by a flying ball.

PES4 didn't do that.  PES 5 does, sometimes, which is a start but also serves to magnify the importance of those times when it doesn't happen.  Extended play has revealed it to not be anything like as big a problem as in previous editions, but it is still there to some extent.

While I'm here, a quick note about shooting - the mechanics of things are the same as before, but it's easy to notice that the chip over the keeper is harder to pull off this year.  The option to choose placement over power has been added through the 'accuracy' button, which is ideal for situations where belting the ball into another galaxy isn't quite the best way of doing things - closing in on goal or in a one-on-one, you're more likely to find that picking your spot and sliding the ball home carries a greater dividend than a wild attempt to break the net.  Satisying when you get it right, agonising when you get it wrong, completely convincing at all times.

Cheers,
Adam

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version