Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
News Desk (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Sports Gaming Nation Archive : News Desk
Subject Topic: Favorite Games of 2005 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Jason
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: January 12 2006 at 6:12am | IP Logged Quote Jason

Sports Gaming NationFavorite Games of 2005

• Football: NCAA Football 06 - this should not come as a surprise to anyone that visits SGN on a regular basis. I have enjoyed NCAA Football from the first day and consider it to be the most enjoyable football game I've played.
  • Baseball: MVP Baseball 2005 - EA Sports fixed almost every problem with MVP Baseball 2004 and created one of the best baseball and sports games of all time with MVP Baseball 2005. Never have I enjoyed fielding in a baseball game as much as I do in MVP 2005.
  • Basketball: NBA 2K6 (by default) - While NBA 2K6 is certainly a big improvement over NBA 2K5, I just never got into this game that much. I'm not sold on moving the Isomotion moves to the left analog stick and never liked the post up game. One thing can't be denied though, the graphics are great and the new drive camera was long overdue.
  • Hockey: NHL Hitz Pro - NHL Hitz Pro may not have been released in 2005 but my first time playing it was. The player physics are excellent, the gameplay is fun and the still-functioning online play is flawless. Decent graphics are just icing on the cake.
  • Soccer: Winning Eleven 8 - This was the year that I was introduced to the Winning Eleven series. The last soccer game I bought (and played) was the original FIFA on the Sega Genesis. I'm no soccer guru, but I do know a good game when I play one.
  • Fighting: Fight Night Round 2 - Here's another game that EA improved on from the previous year. I truely believe that this game has better graphics than any other sports game. The ability to clinch, punch and block while moving and the addition of real announcers make Fight Night 2004 unplayable in comparison. My recent jump into online play has only strengthened my opinion of this game.
  • Racing: NASCAR 2005: Race for the Cup - Yeah, I know I'm a year late with this choice, but it was a slow year for racers with me. What's nice is that the online component is still active and plays quite smooth and from what I've read, EA appears to have taken a step back with the latest version.
  • Non-Sports: Lego Star Wars - My son and I still play this game together (which I bought last May). Excellent graphics, simple-yet-fun gameplay and enjoyable for young kids are the main reasons this game is at the top of my non-sports list. A sequel based on the original trilogy is in the works too.
  • Biggest Comeback: MVP Baseball 2005 - It was a tough choice choosing between MVP Baseball 2005 and NCAA Football 2006. I decided to go with MVP because I felt that there was a bigger improvement from the previous year's version. I also took into account that this is a newer game engine that has really come together nicely. The fact that many people put MVP in the same class as High Heat was the final factor in my choice.
  • Biggest Disappointment: MLB Baseball 2K5 - After a stellar performance with ESPN Baseball 2K4, Visual Concepts switched developers and put out one of the most disappointing sports games that I can remember. Add in one of the worst fielding camersa in baseball game history and one of the most fundamentally sound baseball games (2K4) was ruined for me.

Back to Top View Jason's Profile Search for other posts by Jason Visit Jason's Homepage

Jason
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: January 13 2006 at 11:25am | IP Logged Quote Jason

Finally completed the list. I'd be interested in hearing other people's choices and some feedback on mine.

Back to Top View Jason's Profile Search for other posts by Jason Visit Jason's Homepage

Brent

Posted: January 13 2006 at 1:58pm | IP Logged Quote Brent

My only disagreements:

Racing: Anything but Nascar, because I despise it. ;)

Basketball:  College hoops 2K6 wins easily over NBA 2K6. They added more to the college game (like calling 8 plays) with 300 + teams, more strategy in game and I prefer recruiting over the draft.  Throw in pre and post season conference tourneys and the greatest sporting event outside the Super Bowl (March Madness) and we have a no brainer. The physics around the rim and how different shots react are the best in the business. Even a simple swish looks so nice you want to see it twice.  Buy it, love it, believe the hype...

Biggest Dissapointment: I know everyone loves to rag on ESPN 2K5 but from a graphic whores standpoint it knocks MVP in the dirt and kicks dust all over it. Real time shadows and textures that do not burn your eyes out for the win. Of course MVP 05 wins hands down in the animation department. I found MLB 2K5 enjoyable enough to not call it the biggest dissapointment. I am also not a diehard fan of MLB.

Yet the biggest dissapointment would not go to a game. It would go to Electronic Arts and the NFL. I truly believe that you would be playing MVP 06 MLB if EA would just learn to compete. Of course in a round about way we would not be getting college baseball which I eagerly look forward to, but I could sacrafice that for a little competition.

Just look at all the exclusive licenses they have and or tried to get (see NHL). They have no concern for the gamer or the state of the industry. Only a bigger fatter bottom line at any means necessary.

Back to Top View Brent's Profile Search for other posts by Brent

Ted

Posted: January 17 2006 at 9:25pm | IP Logged Quote Ted

My short list for game of the year for 2005 is a hard decision between NCAA Football and MVP baseball.  I give the slight edge to NCAA simply because the online season was beautiful, unpredictable, fantastic.

I really dug the new life we breathed into Hitz Pro.  It was good to bring that one back.

I played both CH2k6 and NBA 2k6.  Neither one grabbed me and I lost interest in both quicly.  The fact that we had such a hard time connecting in NBA didn't help matters either.

Winning Eleven fell off my GOY list just because 8 never gave me the same fun I had with 7.  Maybe it was the xbox.  When I switched to the PS2 version months later it was a better game.  Now that I'm playing PES5 on the PC it may well be back on top for 2006.  Online will make or break that prediction.

I played a handful of racing titles, all on the PC.  All were stellar.  I consider this the best genre in sportsgaming right now.  If you can get a rig to run the games they are unbelievably realistic and great looking.

Biggest disappointment?  NHL2k6.  Realistic?  Yes.  Dull?  YES, for me.

SGN NCAA Football 06 Season Champion University of Kentucky Widcats 5-6 (2-0)
Back to Top View Ted's Profile Search for other posts by Ted Visit Ted's Homepage

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version