Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
News Desk (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Sports Gaming Nation Archive : News Desk
Subject Topic: MVP 06 NCAA Baseball Review @ IGN Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Jason
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: January 14 2006 at 9:58am | IP Logged Quote Jason

MVP 06 NCAA Baseball

Source: IGN.com

This is a baseball game unlike any you have played before. Forget for a second that MVP 06 NCAA Baseball is the first college baseball game in, well, ever. Forget that those lovable, overpaid big-leaguers you enjoyed in MVP 2005 are replaced by baby-faced, unlicensed student-athletes. Heck, even forget that EA's new title costs only $29.99. MVP 06 brings to the table two revolutionary new features. The first, the Load and Fire batting system, with which hitting is controlled with the right-analog stick, will change hitting as you know it. The third, ESPN Integration, will revolutionize the entire genre of sports videogames, period.

Full Review (Xbox)

Full Review (PS2)

Back to Top View Jason's Profile Search for other posts by Jason Visit Jason's Homepage

Jason
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: January 14 2006 at 10:35am | IP Logged Quote Jason

It seems that every review has given the new analog fielding a negative mark. I really liked how fielding was done in the older versions and will probably stick with it in the new version.

On the other hand, I'm interested in trying the new 'Load and Fire' batting system - I was never a big fan of the older batting system anyway. What I'm curious to know is whether you must hold down the L1 (Power) or R1 (Contact) buttons while swinging. What would happen if you didn't hit either button while swinging?

Back to Top View Jason's Profile Search for other posts by Jason Visit Jason's Homepage

Brent

Posted: January 14 2006 at 11:09am | IP Logged Quote Brent

I can see myself going back to the MVP 05 settings for everything. I will give the analog stuff a try but I am a button guy at heart. Even with golf games, I prefer a 3 click swing.

Back to Top View Brent's Profile Search for other posts by Brent

Ted

Posted: January 14 2006 at 12:06pm | IP Logged Quote Ted

When you say analog fielding are you referring to the throwing meter being tied to, and the direction you hold the analog stick for base selection?

Personally, I'm looking forward to that part of it.  I remember when NHL Rivals came out with passing tied to the right stick and it was so natural and intuitive that I wondered why nobody had done it before.  I loved it and I miss it now.

At least for the fielding part of the game I can really see myself liking it.  I'll definitely give the hitting a try, but if I feel I'm fighting the controller to execute the swing I want then I'll go back to the buttons, just like I went back to the buttons in Fight Night.  I just felt I was always fighting the controller.

SGN NCAA Football 06 Season Champion University of Kentucky Widcats 5-6 (2-0)
Back to Top View Ted's Profile Search for other posts by Ted Visit Ted's Homepage

Jason
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: January 14 2006 at 2:23pm | IP Logged Quote Jason

I'll certainly give analog fielding a try, but every review has stated that it's not implemented too well. One of the problems is that dives/jumps are also tied to the right analog stick and could cause unwanted moves in the field. I've read where someone would try to have their second baseman dive for a ball to their right, the player wouldn't dive and instead picked up the ball and fired it to third base because you pushed left on the analog stick (to dive). I've always liked MVP's fielding meter too.

I am looking forward to 'Load and Fire' batting though. I watched some videos at EASports.com and like how you control inside and outside swings and how timing your swing (along with bat placement) determines whether you pull a ball or go the opposite way with it. I like that the 'up for flyball' and 'down for groundball' system is non-existant in the new analog system, although there doesn't seem to be anything extra required to hit balls that are thrown high or low in the strike zone. The only thing you need to concentrate on is whether the pitch is inside or outside.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version