Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
The Locker Room (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Sports Gaming Nation Archive : The Locker Room
Subject Topic: MVP 06 Hitting System!!! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Jason
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: January 16 2006 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote Jason

It's being reported over at OS that MVP 06 NCAA Baseball will offer three types of hitting modes: "Load and Fire', the classic batting system and ZONE HITTING!!!

Wednesday cannot get here fast enough now. The ONLY thing preventing MVP from complete greatness was the lack of zone hitting and now that appears to be fixed.

Back to Top View Jason's Profile Search for other posts by Jason Visit Jason's Homepage

Brent

Posted: January 16 2006 at 6:32pm | IP Logged Quote Brent

Yep, I can see myself using this batting setup. I loved the zone hitting in High Heat. 

Back to Top View Brent's Profile Search for other posts by Brent

Ted

Posted: January 16 2006 at 6:55pm | IP Logged Quote Ted

I can see this causing our first "tiff" in online gaming.  I hope load and fire is a breakthrough system because I have a serious disdain for zone hitting and the only thing I'll do if I don't like load and fire is return to last year's hitting model.  Besides being bad at it, I find zone the most unrealistic way to simulate the experience a batter has at the plate.  

Furthermore, I don't see how you can have realistic bat contact with the ball with zone hitting.  I'm guessing the game has to defy physical laws to see a variety of hits from the same zone.  I'm certainly not trying to be insulting, but zone hitting to me is like something out of the dark ages.  It was right for the time and for statistical models where your hitting outcome was determined by how well you put the bat head in the zone.  But in today's true 3D, accurate physics environment it just needs to be replaced.

I hope that each player can choose his hitting system because I definitely don't want to play zone.

SGN NCAA Football 06 Season Champion University of Kentucky Widcats 5-6 (2-0)
Back to Top View Ted's Profile Search for other posts by Ted Visit Ted's Homepage

Jason
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: January 16 2006 at 7:00pm | IP Logged Quote Jason

Here's some more interesting info:

How many players does MVP support online? Offline?

MVP 06 supports up to 4 players both online and off using Co-op Multiplayer, which means you can play on the same team as your buddy. This gives you the option to play a variety of ways: 1p vs CPU, 1p vs 1p, 2p vs 1p, 2p vs 2p or 2p vs CPU.

Back to Top View Jason's Profile Search for other posts by Jason Visit Jason's Homepage

Ted

Posted: January 16 2006 at 7:03pm | IP Logged Quote Ted

Can you play your season online?  Could you and I play through a season with two teams within the game?

Back to Top View Ted's Profile Search for other posts by Ted Visit Ted's Homepage

Jason
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: January 16 2006 at 7:08pm | IP Logged Quote Jason

Ted, I'm sure we'll figure out settings that both of us enjoy, even if that means going to MVP's old method of hitting. I'm hoping we can settle on 'Load & Fire' for our online games though.

Here's my thoughts on zone hitting: When I played baseball in real life and a pitch came at me low and away, I swung my bat low and away to reach the ball and make contact. Zone hitting uses the same principle, put the bat on the ball. It's always felt very natural to me because if a high-inside fastball came at me in real life, I'd have to move my bat up and in to make contact, and with zone-hitting, I'd have to do the same thing. Also, if you move the analog stick inside on a pitch down the middle or a little outside, you wouldn't get good "wood" on the ball because you'd hit it off the end of the bat. Whether you swung early or late would determine if the ball was pulled or went to the opposite field.

Jason
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: January 16 2006 at 7:11pm | IP Logged Quote Jason

Ted wrote:
Can you play your season online?  Could you and I play through a season with two teams within the game?

I don't know, but I hope to have the answer Wednesday night .

Ted

Posted: January 16 2006 at 7:14pm | IP Logged Quote Ted

Jason wrote:

Here's some more interesting info:

How many players does MVP support online? Offline?

MVP 06 supports up to 4 players both online and off using Co-op Multiplayer, which means you can play on the same team as your buddy. This gives you the option to play a variety of ways: 1p vs CPU, 1p vs 1p, 2p vs 1p, 2p vs 2p or 2p vs CPU.

I think it only supports 1 console v 1 console though so multiplayer is if you have a friend sitting next to you.

Jason
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: January 16 2006 at 7:17pm | IP Logged Quote Jason

Ted wrote:

I think it only supports 1 console v 1 console though so multiplayer is if you have a friend sitting next to you.

You're probably right about that. Too bad, it could've been fun playing on the same team once in a while.

Ted

Posted: January 16 2006 at 7:22pm | IP Logged Quote Ted

It still might do that seeing as it is still just 2 consoles.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version