Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
The Locker Room (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Sports Gaming Nation Archive : The Locker Room
Subject Topic: 360 BC dead already? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Brent

Online Status: Offline
Posted: January 21 2006 at 1:57pm | IP Logged Quote Brent

Microsoft is really doing a bang up job with the Xbox 360.

We've been informed today that there are going to be no more Backward Compatibility updates released for the Xbox 360 until March at the earliest. Microsoft's David Reid has stated that the team who do the BC work are on holiday throughout January and will start work on priority titles when they return. But from what it sounds like, there will be only a few more updates released through 2006.

This will come as a disappointment to many new Xbox 360 users, not only because the lack of new 360 titles but also any new plain Xbox titles they may like the look of (Black for example) will not work on their shiny new 360. It is no wonder less Xbox games are being sold now.

Back to Top View Brent's Profile Search for other posts by Brent

Ted

Posted: January 21 2006 at 4:04pm | IP Logged Quote Ted

For all the gushing the initial purchasers of the system did, this sure seems like a botched launch to me.  Shortages, low number of good launch titles, slow release of new titles.  In fact there isn't a single title on the platform that I want to play.   I know it's winter and nothing much happens until March, especially in the sports gaming genre, but there is nothing about the 360 that is remotely enticing me at the moment.  I'm patiently waiting to see what the PS3 is all about, heck even the Revolution.  I'm going to compare it all and get what will suit me best, regardless of price.

And I have nothing against MS, I've always loved their products.  Hell, Sony's PSP is looking like a dead platform right now.  There is no buzz about the unit, no buzz about the games, they don't even advertise it on TV anymore.

Sony's taking a lot of crap right now.  Guys like Bill Harris like to keep ripping on their strategy and saying it is not looking good for them right now.  Some intuition is telling me though that they are pushing back launch dates for more than hardware reasons.  I'm thinking they are going to launch very strong with more good titles than what the 360 initially had.

Just my .02 though.

SGN NCAA Football 06 Season Champion University of Kentucky Widcats 5-6 (2-0)
Back to Top View Ted's Profile Search for other posts by Ted Visit Ted's Homepage

GB_Simo
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: January 21 2006 at 4:44pm | IP Logged Quote GB_Simo

Within reason, Sony can push the PS3 launch back at will - for a start, there's a reasonable amount of anticipation for the product already, so imagine how far they can milk that once regular streams of in-game footage and shots emerge.  Consider also the strength of their brand.  I'm not sure what it's like elsewhere, but something I rapidly picked up on through research on my degree course is that if my part of the world is any indicator, Average Joe and Joan will point to game X on console Y and call it a PlayStation regardless of what it is.  They might occasionally call it a Nintendo - never GameCube or whatever, just Nintendo - and every so often a Sega creeps in.  What they don't call it is an XBox.

Thirdly, you can spin the 360 launch as many ways as you like and Lord knows Microsoft will, but if I were in Sony's PR department I'd be walking round like the cat that got the cream - for them, surely a rival launch bordering on farce at times is Heaven-sent?

As for back compatibility, the BC issue is a killer for me at the minute, since I want to play my existing games too, I've got no room for both an XBox and a 360 and I have no broadband for Live access to update the emulator.  With a few more killer apps, I might still have gone for a 360 given the chance and lived without my XBox games, but as it is there's no way I could justify it to myself.

Cheers,
Adam 

Ted

Posted: January 21 2006 at 4:49pm | IP Logged Quote Ted

Good points, Adam.  And it's nice to know that I'm not the only one that looks at the whole 360 thing and shakes his head.

And you're right about brand, especially in this day and age.  While it won't guarantee success it sure makes things easier for you and substantially harder and more expensive for your competitor.

SGN NCAA Football 06 Season Champion University of Kentucky Widcats 5-6 (2-0)
Back to Top View Ted's Profile Search for other posts by Ted Visit Ted's Homepage

Brent

Posted: January 21 2006 at 5:03pm | IP Logged Quote Brent

Ted wrote:

And I have nothing against MS, I've always loved their products.  Hell, Sony's PSP is looking like a dead platform right now.  There is no buzz about the unit, no buzz about the games, they don't even advertise it on TV anymore.

Would have to disagree on the PSP. They are staying neck and neck with the DS here in the US. Sold over a million handhelds in December, which is not bad for as much as it costs to own one (especially figuring game prices and storage media costs).  I can't watch TV without seeing PSP commercials. The quotes are imbedded in my brain from seeing them so often.

Hells yeah

Man I hate those squirrels

I will probably end up with two, possibly three next gen consoles again down the road.  The console is simply a means to play the games. If each console provides enough sports games that vary from the others I will buy it. Even as a "sports only" gamer I am intrigued by the Revolution for the controller and new things that can be done with sports games. Hopefully companies will put a little more effort innovating with it then they did with the Gamecube's GBA to Console feature that for the most part was a flop. Remeber Nintendo felt connectivity, not online was the wave of the future and they were wrong on both counts.

I will get a Xbox 360 in the fall because it will have had almost a year to get the kinks worked out of the hardware and the possibility of a price drop.  The PS3 will be considered 6 mo to a year after launch and will be factored on how the Sony sports games line up. Plus the price.

I have no doubt in my mind the PS3 will once again dominate next generation. Microsoft has been handing them the next generation on a plate with their launch shortages, issues with the console, slightly upgraded ports of games like Tony Hawk, Gun and EA's line of featureless games.  PS3 will walk into the next gen with complete EA sports games. More dev time on their launch titles and an E3 to hype it up to the world.

Back to Top View Brent's Profile Search for other posts by Brent

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version