Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
The Locker Room (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Sports Gaming Nation Archive : The Locker Room
Subject Topic: Tell us about yourself Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Jason
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: January 15 2005 at 9:32pm | IP Logged Quote Jason

In the hopes of developing a strong community here, I thought it would be a good idea for the members to post some ingo about themselves. I'll get it started since I started the topic:

Status: Married for 6.5 years with 2 children, a 4-year old son (James) and a 1-year old daughter (Jessica) who shares my birthday.

I was born and raised in the Bronx, NY and lived there my entire life (as did my wife) until moving to central New Jersey (the Jersey shore) 4 years ago when my wife and I decided to start a family. My parents had moved from NY to NJ in 1996 and my wife and I discovered that we liked the area while visiting them over the years. I also had no intention of raising kids where I grew up.

I started writing computer programs on my Commodore VIC 20 when I was in 8th grade and have stayed interested in computers ever since. I became a "troublesome" teenager that got into alot of trouble and did alot of "bad" things. By time I was 19 I started applying my troublesome behavior and aggression towards boxing, which I did for 5 years. It was much safer and legal to fight in a boxing ring rather than out of it. Bad knees and back problems prevented me of my dream of turning pro, but that may have been for the better . It also prevented me from being a walk-on at the Jets training camp at Hofstra University (I can dream if I want to).

By my early 20's, while attending Queens College, I started working part-time for my first professional job as a computer technician in the World Trade Center (after loading trucks in a warehouse for many years). Since then I moved from various IT positions to where I am today - a network administrator for a small consulting company in NJ and doing some side work as a web designer.

I started this site because I wanted a casual place to discuss sports gaming in a friendly environment and I enjoy working on and designing web sites. I had to two-node BBS (I can't remember the name of the BBS software at the moment and it's driving me crazy. Edit: I just remembered it was Wildcat BBS) that I ran in 1994 and the move to the Internet was a blessing.

I now spend most of my time with my family and still enjoy playing sports in a limited capacity. In addition to videogames, books and DVDs, I also enjoy playing guitar and occassionally crank out some Metallica tunes on it, from my rock band days, for my son. It's amazing how much your life changes when you have kids, but I wouldn't change it for anything.

Having said all that, I'm looking forward to some good times and gaming at Sports Gaming Nation.

Back to Top View Jason's Profile Search for other posts by Jason Visit Jason's Homepage

Brent

Posted: January 16 2005 at 2:14am | IP Logged Quote Brent

Jason wrote:

By time I was 19 I started applying my troublesome behavior and aggression towards boxing, which I did for 5 years. It was much safer and legal to fight in a boxing ring rather than out of it. Bad knees and back problems prevented me of my dream of turning pro

Note to self: Stay on Jasons good side 

As for me I am 32, single and work as a consultant.  Enjoy long walks across the internet finding sports gaming links and the occasional dounut.

Most of you already know me well enough and some have even seen my better half.

Back to Top View Brent's Profile Search for other posts by Brent

K_Mosley

Posted: January 17 2005 at 7:46pm | IP Logged Quote K_Mosley

If you read my blog, you probably know more about me than you'd ever want to! 

Seriously, I'm 33 years old, married, an a father of two (son, Darrin - 8 years old, daughter, Brittany - 6 years old).  I'm a Training Coordinator for the world's largest personal lines insurer by day, and the administrator of the recreational program of a youth soccer league by night.  I also coach my kids, and support them in their scout, dance, and sports endeavors.  I'm extremely proud of my kids' talents and accomplishments, and discussing them would require a whole new post!  My wife is teacher turned stay-at-home mom, who tutors at night.  Next year, when Brittany's in school full time, my wife hopes to land a teaching job (that would be awesome!).

I'm a graduate of the University of Akron, and a huge Ohio State/Cleveland sports fan, plus a Columbus Crew fan.  I played 10 years of baseball (ages 5-15) and high school basketball, and also was a guitarist in my youth (long live the hair bands!).  I enjoy computers, video games, and like to tinker around with technology.  Lastly, I like to build the occasional model, although I'm not real good at it.

I'm defined by my belief in God and Jesus, and that every word of the Holy Bible is inerrant and true.  I know some think that's ignorant, or whatever, but that's how I choose to live my life.  To each his own; I believe we'll all find out the truth someday, no matter what it may be.  I'm far from perfect, and often refer to myself as a "work in progress" in terms of my faith and lifestyle (e.g., For ME, it was important to let go of the old rock and roll music, because it was interfering with my faith; that certainly doesn't mean I think everybody has to be like me.  That's a whole different post, too!)

I started my internet "career" writing fantasy baseball articles for Baseball Sim Central.  I did that for awhile, but got too busy to keep up with it.  A couple of years later, after I bought my Xbox, I decided to take Jonathan up on his quest for new staff.  I "followed" JC from SR to his own site.  We all know what became of SR, which is why I really liked the direction of CG, and wanted to be a part of it.  After a rollercoaster ride at CG, I took a few months off, and then got the "bug" to write again.  I'm really enjoying my blog thing now.

I could go on, but I'll spare you! 

Kevin

GB_Simo
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: January 18 2005 at 5:32pm | IP Logged Quote GB_Simo

Now then lads,

My name's Adam, I'm 19 years old and come from Hartlepool, up on England's north east coast.  Tall, deceptively strong, non smoker, good sense of humour, wishes to meet similar for...

Sorry, force of habit (before anyone asks - no, I didn't meet my girlfriend, nor anybody else, like that.  Yes, she is a kickboxer so should she ever see that last paragraph my life will be at an end).  Not really into more violent sports myself, and Kaylie can't fight anymore due to joint hypermobility syndrome so I'm yet to see her in action, but I'm reliably informed that my death would be swift and brutal.

Anyway, about me - my sporting loves are motor racing in any form and my beloved Hartlepool United, currently 5th in League One.  I'll happily watch any sport but those are the only two sporting endeavours for which I have a passion.  I also play basketball for Hartlepool CJ Hydraulics in the Durham Basketball League when work commitments allow.  My other main hobby is playing the guitar, writing songs and so on.  I have absolutely no idea if I'm any good or not, but it keeps me entertained.  Trying to make a gaming link here but the best I can do is that I can play 'Legendary Theme' from the utterly brilliant PS2 guitar-em-up Gitaroo Man.

I'm a full-time student at the University of Teesside in deepest darkest Middlesbrough, a remarkably joyless experience in a remarkably joyless town.  I also sell mobile phones for Vodafone in their Hartlepool call centre - I'm surprised by how much fun the job is, I'd gone into it expecting a very dull, dry experience.  My big break Internet-wise came in March 2003 when I was invited to become the third staff member at the mighty Calvert Games.  Great staff, great site, great times.  Since CG 2.0 went west, I've kept a blog as much for my own amusement as anything else - I write things all the time, regardless of whether or not I have an audience, because it's something I love to do.  The blog (address in the sig, kids, don't all rush at once...) is a means of putting some of my work out into the open, as well as giving me a forum to type things that occur to me on the spur of the moment.  It was meant to be predominantly a gaming blog but I appear to have given up on that idea for now.

One last thing - I made it here via Ted's blog.  You're due your commission, sir.

Cheers,

Adam 

Jason
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: January 18 2005 at 7:06pm | IP Logged Quote Jason

Welcome to the site Adam. I'm be more than happy to add a permanent link to your blog in the Links Module with all the other sites here.

Back to Top View Jason's Profile Search for other posts by Jason Visit Jason's Homepage

K_Mosley

Posted: January 18 2005 at 7:50pm | IP Logged Quote K_Mosley

LOL...  Years ago, we could've had a "jam session," Adam... 

Let me also add that Adam writes THE BEST match reports I've ever read, in all seriousness.  I'd love to see him suffer through a Crew game and make a report on it, but I understand that even Adam, young strapping college student that he is, has standards. 

Kevin

ScoopBrady

Posted: January 19 2005 at 12:29pm | IP Logged Quote ScoopBrady

My real name is Todd and I was born in raised in the Chicagoland area.  I've lived here my whole life and never plan on leaving.  I'm a Bears season ticket holder (my dad had the tickets since I was born and passed them down to my brother and I when my mom and him retired to South Carolina) and I love every Chicago sports team.  Yes even the Cubs AND Whitesox. 

I've been married for 5.5 years and have a daughter named Isabella who will turn 2 next month.  I am a lot like Jason and quite frankly thought I had gotten drunk and written his history under his user name.  I used to write computer programs on my good old Texas Instruments computer when I was young.  I was definitely a bad boy who got into a lot of trouble during junior high and high school.  I actually had to go to a 'special' high school for my junior and senior year as a result.

I didn't go to college right after high school as a result of my feelings for school in general at the time and decided to go to work instead.  I bounced around for a while working in a warehouse, being a cook, and other odds and ends until I finally started working with developmentally delayed children and adults.  That's why I get so pissed when people use the word "retarded" so callously.  It was hard to make good money in social work so I decided to go to school to change my career.  Since I loved computers when I was a kid and still did I decided to go to ITT Tech.  Right after that decision I was laid off because of money going towards different areas because of 9.11 instead of going towards specialized government funded agencies like the one I worked at.  Right after finding out I was laid off, I found out that my wife was pregnant.  Talk about stress, not only was I unemployed but now I had a child on the way. 

I got through that extremely tough time and now I'm the Network Coordinator at the ITT Tech I went to.  I love sports, videogames, sports videogames, and writing.  That's why I started Scoop on Sports and the Scoop Brady blog.

James_E

Posted: January 19 2005 at 3:54pm | IP Logged Quote James_E

Yo fellas.

Age 34, married with 2 little boys.    Liam (4.5 years old) and Duncan (will be 3 in April).  My life is defined by my family.  I love hanging out with my wife and kids. Gaming time is always after the kids go to bed, most often I wait until the wife goes to bed too.  Been married for 7 years now.

I'm Canadian, living in Richmond Hill (suburb of Toronto) and I work at ATI (so YES... i *can* get you deals on ATI video cards.)  as a Project Team Leader for a software development team.  Graduated with EE degree in 1993 and have been doing low level software/firmware since then.   had a 5 year stint in California during the stock market bubble, which was a fun ride.  I enjoyed living in the US but canada is my true home.

Like a good Canadian, I play hockey and have since I was 5 years old.  I currently play 2-3 times per week in various leagues or just pickup games.  I love it.  My two favourite real-life sports to play are hockey and golf.  I don't play golf alot due to family and work, but I manage to keep my handicap at around 9 even though I only play maybe twice/month during the summer.  I played 18-54 holes everyday from the age of 14-17 so that built a good foundation that I can use to maintain a relatively good golf game.  I also love racing, both watching it and have participated in a few track schools/lapping days. 

My favourite sports teams are The Ottawa Senators (I HATE the Toronto Maple Leafs) and the Toronto Blue Jays.  I do enjoy watching the NFL but don't really have a favourite team.  CFL is getting better, and I used to love that... maybe that will come back to me soon. 

My favourite video game genre is racing, by a pretty long shot.  I have a homebuilt cockpit for PC racing sims and hope to be able to adapt my Xbox/Forza into it if Forza has good wheel support.  Even though i love hockey and golf in real life, the videogame versions aren't doing it for me.  ESPN NHL 2k5 leagues have helped me enjoy videogame hockey alot more.  Other than racing, RPGs are my next favourite.  

Never programmed much as a kid, was too busy playing sports all the time or working part time jobs I guess.  Was generally a good kid, didn't get in much trouble, and got good grades at school.  Only learned programming starting in university.  Was moved around alot as a kid as my father was a radar tech in the canadian military so we got transferred alot.

During my post university years I was in a band, doing original songs.  I can play guitar ok, and have even learned some piano (took lessons while in California.)  Dont play much anymore though...

Anyway, nice to see some friends around here.

Back to Top View James_E's Profile Search for other posts by James_E

Slumberland

Posted: January 19 2005 at 6:39pm | IP Logged Quote Slumberland

Hey everyone...

The name's Seth. I'm 28, and live in the Jackson Heights neighborhood of Queens in good old New York City. I'm not married, but have been with my girlfriend for four years now, and have lived together for two now. Sacrilegious, I know. No children, and I plan to keep it that way for a few more years. We both have aspirations in the arts, and need flexibility and personal freedom for the time being in order to reach our goals. You know, that old chestnut. For now, I get to play dad with my two cats, one of which crawls into my lap and sighs as he sleeps whenever I play video games on the living room couch. It's adorable.

I majored in film in college, then zipped out to San Francisco for a short, unhappy year, then came back to New York where most of my friends and creative partners reside. I've played in several bands (if you ever catch reruns of the Comedy Central show Premuim Blend from the season Tommy Davidson hosted, you'll see me singing as the front man of a now-defunct group called Conquistador) and am currently making music under the pseudonym Aaron Hill. I also do cartooning and illustration for several magazines and personal projects.

I'm currently paying the bills doing digital film restoration, an interesting process in which damaged frames are repaired using elements from surrounding frames, as well as other techniques. Right now we're working on Carousel, and I believe Dr. Strangelove is next.

I started getting excited about sports games about halfway through the last generation of consoles, when All-Star Baseball began to offer a pretty realistic and visually striking interpretation of my favorite sport. Then the NBA2K series became a minor obsession among me and my post-collegiate bachelor-pad housemates. In essence, I think I gravitated to sports games because it seemed like the one genre where I was bound to have a different experience than everyone else playing the same game, as opposed to adventure titles and the like where the through-line was pretty limited. Thankfully, the free-form approach has made its way into almost all the game genres by now.

My girlfriend happens to hate sports.

Back to Top View Slumberland's Profile Search for other posts by Slumberland

Jason
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: January 19 2005 at 9:07pm | IP Logged Quote Jason

Seth,

I checked out your www.gwcomics.com site from your DSP signature - that's some impressive work.

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version