Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
The Locker Room (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Sports Gaming Nation Archive : The Locker Room
Subject Topic: Tell us about yourself Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Jason
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: February 02 2005 at 9:35am | IP Logged Quote Jason

Hey Tom,

Welcome to SGN!!!

I think you'll like it here as we have an older crowd that's a bit more mature than other gaming sites.

Just out of curiousity, how did you find out about the site?

Let me know if you get online with your PS2 because it's not easy finding "adult" gamers to play against, most of the members here are Xbox owners.

Back to Top View Jason's Profile Search for other posts by Jason Visit Jason's Homepage

tdc_rx1

Posted: February 02 2005 at 11:08am | IP Logged Quote tdc_rx1

Hi Jason

Thanks for the welcome. I read some of the sports blogs and came across the site at Calvertgames blog.

When I get the systems hooked up I'll drop you a PM.  I have an Xbox also but have'nt subscribed to live yet. 

-Tom
Back to Top View tdc_rx1's Profile Search for other posts by tdc_rx1

pk500

Posted: March 03 2005 at 8:25am | IP Logged Quote pk500

I'm Paul, 39, live in Marcellus, N.Y., a semi-rural suburb of Syracuse, N.Y. Was born here in Central New York and have lived here for 33 of my 39 years. Have no plans to leave -- it's a terrific place to live and raise a family.

Married for 14 years in May. Have three kids: 6-year-old daughter Keelin, 4-year-old son Bryce, newborn son Landon.

Graduated from Marist College in 1987 with a bachelor's degree in Communications. Worked in the daily newspaper business as a sports reporter and editor from 1988-93 until I went into motorsports public relations starting with the National Hot Rod Association in 1993. Formed my own PR company in 1994 and then shut that down to join the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and Indy Racing League as communications manager in January 1998. I still work for the Speedway, as the company let me shed my IRL duties in mid-2003 as the workload for both entities became too big for one guy.

I love spending time with my family, as they are the ying and the yang of my existence. For exercise, I enjoy road cycling and mountain biking, downhill and cross country skiing and playing hockey. I also enjoy reading, music, watching shows recorded on the DVR, hanging with friends and family, and video games. My favorite sports are motor racing, soccer, American football, cycling, hockey and ski racing, in that order.

I have played video games since my cousin first got an Atari 2600 in 1980. The first system I owned was a Mattel Intellivision and have since owned an 8-bit Nintendo, PlayStation, Dreamcast, PlayStation 2 and now an Xbox. I'm console monogamous -- I've never owned more than one console at a time. Xbox Live breathed new life into gaming for me. I'm not sure I'd still be in the hobby without it.

Realistic racing is my favorite genre, by far, followed by team sports games and first-person military shooters.

Favorites:

Favorite teams: Newcastle United, Buffalo Bills, Syracuse Orangemen, Edmonton Oilers, River Plate, Subaru World Rally Team, Discovery Channel cycling

Favorite athlete: Lance Armstrong, Alan Shearer, Petter Solberg

Favorite color: British racing green

Favorite food: Buffalo chicken wings, Cajun jambalaya

Favorite beverage: Sierra Nevada Porter beer, orange juice

Favorite vice: I'll take the Fifth Amendment on that one

Favorite music: Classic jazz, progressive house, alternative rock, classic rock

Favorite season: Winter

Think that about covers it!

Take care,
PK
Back to Top View pk500's Profile Search for other posts by pk500

Mike_S

Posted: March 15 2005 at 2:42pm | IP Logged Quote Mike_S

I'm Mike, 37, live in Redwood City, CA.

I'm a Game Developer.  Currently working on Mobile Games for Digital Chocolate including Baseball Heroes of the MLBPAA (live on Verizon) and NCAA Hoops 2005 (live on Cingular).  Before that worked on High Heat Baseball for over 4 years.  Before that I did a bunch of non-sports games, mostly non-released PS1 and arcade stuff, the best of which is Running Wild on PS1 -- VERY underrated if I do say so myself :-).

Grew up in Boston, moved to the Bay Area in 1993 to work in games.  Married about 3 years; have one daughter, Hannah, who just turned one.

I love sports and sports games.  Favorite teams are BC Eagles (though really bummed about the late-season swoon, hoping for a turnaround in the NCAAs) and Red Sox.  Favorite console games are High Heat (of course) and Winning Eleven.    Other favorite games are originals like Animal Crossing, and super-well-designed stuff like Ratchet and Clank.  I wish there were more sports games made by and for real fans.

Other interests include golf, Pro Wrestling (going to WM 21 unless BC makes the Final Four), Disney World, DirecTV, and more.

I've known about the site for a while, have been lurking a lot lately, figured it was time to finally register and say hi after I noticed your roundtable on the EA exclusive stuff.  I also check out Digital Sportspage, CalvertGames, OperationSports, and others.  And I miss Sports Reviewers.

Don't know why you guys don't start reviewing (or at least occasionally talking about) mobile games on the site -- it's definitely not console, but can be very cool when done right.  And sometimes we actually do games that focus on gameplay! :-)

Back to Top View Mike_S's Profile Search for other posts by Mike_S Visit Mike_S's Homepage

Webdanzer
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: March 15 2005 at 3:02pm | IP Logged Quote Webdanzer

Wow!

One of my dreams, if I ever won one of those mega-million dollar lottery thingies, was to hire a team to make the baseball game *I* wanted to play.  (Of course now with the Take Two exclusive, I'd have to invent a console too.)

Anyway, one of the first people I was going to make it a mission to track down and find was Mike_S, above. 

Very glad to see you here, Mike!  Now I know where to find you.

Back to Top View Webdanzer's Profile Search for other posts by Webdanzer Visit Webdanzer's Homepage

Brent

Posted: March 15 2005 at 3:20pm | IP Logged Quote Brent

Mike_S wrote:

Don't know why you guys don't start reviewing (or at least occasionally talking about) mobile games on the site -- it's definitely not console, but can be very cool when done right.  And sometimes we actually do games that focus on gameplay! :-)

Welcome aboard Mike.

I always link any/all Mobile Sports gaming Screens, Press Releases and Reviews that I can find. If you find something that I am missing please let me know.  Gamespot seems to be the only site that concentrates on mobile in it's daily update.

Back to Top View Brent's Profile Search for other posts by Brent

Jason
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: March 15 2005 at 5:05pm | IP Logged Quote Jason

Hey Mike,

Welcome to the site. I always enjoy the opinions of the people that actually design the games we play.

I haven't reviewed any mobile games simply because I don't own any. My cell phone is provided by my job and used for business calls only (it's also the freebie phone that comes with the phone plan and isn't able to play games).

As Brent stated, he links to alot of info on mobile games and I would definitely review mobile games in the future if I ever buy a phone that can play them. In the meantime, I'd be interested in any inside info you could provide on the mobile games industry.

BTW, I'm jealous of what you do for a living .

Back to Top View Jason's Profile Search for other posts by Jason Visit Jason's Homepage

Mike_S

Posted: March 16 2005 at 2:12pm | IP Logged Quote Mike_S

Webdanzer: Thanks for the kind words.

Honestly, many mobile games are not that great.  The best are usually casual games like puzzles or word games, the kind of games that are easy-to-understand and more about gameplay than anything else.  The action games including sports are more typically scaled-down versions of console games, with much worse graphics, feature set, and poor controls, since the phones  aren't really made for gaming.  Think about trying to play Madden for NES with a cell phone screen's and controls limitations, and it's probably about 50% worse than that.

Digital Chocolate is trying to do it differently and make games that uniquely  fit mobile.  Both our baseball and basketball games focus on easy-to-use controls and fun-fast-satisfying gameplay will legit physics and good AI; trying to provide quick bursts of fun when you have a few minutes.  Meanwhile almost all our products are networked, allowing for global leaderboards on both your phone and our website, and moving forward we are trying to take better advantage of the things that your phone is good at, including being inherently networked.

I will try to send some info on our sports products in the next few days.

The industry as a whole is really starting to take off in the States, and is already big in Europe and certain parts of Asia.  I expect that you all will at least try mobile games on your phone within the next year or two.

Thanks again for the cool site!

Back to Top View Mike_S's Profile Search for other posts by Mike_S Visit Mike_S's Homepage

scasmflop

Posted: March 16 2005 at 3:30pm | IP Logged Quote scasmflop

I always thought mobile phones would be great for a sim type game.  How much memory do you typically get to use for a game?  If you could have a simplified OOTP or OOTP-like football game on a cellphone, I would be all over it.
Back to Top View scasmflop's Profile Search for other posts by scasmflop

Jason
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: March 16 2005 at 5:04pm | IP Logged Quote Jason

Mike_S wrote:

Digital Chocolate is trying to do it differently and make games that uniquely  fit mobile.  Both our baseball and basketball games focus on easy-to-use controls and fun-fast-satisfying gameplay will legit physics and good AI; trying to provide quick bursts of fun when you have a few minutes.  Meanwhile almost all our products are networked, allowing for global leaderboards on both your phone and our website, and moving forward we are trying to take better advantage of the things that your phone is good at, including being inherently networked.

I will try to send some info on our sports products in the next few days.

That sounds interesting - I'm looking forward to the info you provide.

Mike_S wrote:

Thanks again for the cool site!

Thanks for the compliment on the site. I hope you'll become a regular here.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version