Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
News Desk (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Sports Gaming Nation Archive : News Desk
Subject Topic: Sports Gaming on a Budget Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Jason
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: September 05 2005 at 10:12am | IP Logged Quote Jason

Sports Gaming NationI know 'NASCAR 06: Total Team Control' was just released last week, but I just ordered 'NASCAR 2005: Chase for the Cup' from Walmart.com for $19.82 (brand new). I'm not a big NASCAR fan but heard good things about last year's game and enjoyed 'NASCAR Thunder 2003' (the only other version I've ever played on the PS2), plus at that price buying it was a no-brainer.

I'm considering falling a year behind EA's release cycle and picking up their previous year's titles, at big discounts, when the new versions are released. I had bought 'NBA Live 2004' when it was first released (at full price), but didn't start playing it until a year later when 'NBA Live 2005' came out. I should have just waited to buy it a year later at a steep discount. There are some exceptions to the rule though - if there is a good sale on a current release, I'd probably pick it up (like I did with NCAA Football 06) or it's a game that I wouldn't be able to wait a year for (Fight Night Round 2) or the new version takes a big step forward in gameplay (like 'MVP Baseball 2005' which was also released at a discounted price of $29.99).

I'm less disciplined with the 2K line of sports games since they initially have a $19.99 price tag when they are released. I have no problem buying a 2K sports game and holding onto it until I have time to play it. I'm just now starting to give ESPN NBA 2K5 and ESPN NHL 2K5 the time they deserve and had the same thing happen last year with 'ESPN Baseball 2K4'. The funny thing is, I now have no great desire to pick up NBA 2K6 or NHL 2K6 because I'm just starting to enjoy last year's games. It also allows me to see how if new versions are actually better than the previous year's game before I purchase them.

It still amazes me how many times the older game is better than the newer one - here are some examples: NBA Live 2004 and 2005, NHL 2004 and 2005 and ESPN Baseball 2K4 and 2K5. Each one of those 2004 editions is better than their 2005 counterparts. I'm sure alot of people would add NCAA Football 2004 and 2005 to that list too and early reports seems to be the same for NASCAR 2005 and 2006.

To be quite honest, I'm glad that I've finally been able to control my need to purchase the newest sports games as soon as they're released. It's helped out my wallet and has given me a greater appreciation for some of my older games.

Back to Top View Jason's Profile Search for other posts by Jason Visit Jason's Homepage

Ted

Posted: September 05 2005 at 8:53pm | IP Logged Quote Ted

If you are interested in an excellent NASCAR game at a cheap price find a copy of NASCAR: Dirt to Daytona.  It is a great sim and graphically holds up just fine next to EA's current efforts.  I don't follow NASCAR in real life so the fact that the cars and sponsors are from 2001 doesn't bother me a bit.

Compared to EA you get 4 series as opposed to 3 (dirt stocks, open modifieds, trucks, and what was then Winston Cup series).  It has a much deeper garage mode where you can tune to your hearts content, but you can run default and be competitive by adjusting difficulty levels or upgrading parts.  The career mode is very deep and you manage sponsors, car upgrades, and pit crews (although the last only in the top two leagues).  You can run short length races and accelerate tire and fuel wear to simulate the need to pit or you can run full length races if you want.  I'm not knocking EA's game, but I played 2005: CftC and it just didn't give me the kick I get from DtD.  I think you can pick up DtD now for about $12 used if you can find it.

Also if you want a fun racer and can find it be sure to grab World of Outlaws.  Pretty easy to pick up and a blast to play.  Very similar in feel to DtD, but it will cost you about $25 due to the rarity.

SGN NCAA Football 06 Season Champion University of Kentucky Widcats 5-6 (2-0)
Back to Top View Ted's Profile Search for other posts by Ted Visit Ted's Homepage

Jason
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: September 06 2005 at 3:49am | IP Logged Quote Jason

Thanks for the info Ted. For some reason I always thought 'NASCAR: Dirt to Daytona' was a PC-only game - I'll have to check it out now. I had played a demo of 'World of Outlaws' ages ago and had alot of fun with it.

The one nice thing about the end of a console's life cycle is that there are so many excellent older games that can be had cheaply.

Update: I just noticed that my order for 'NASCAR 2005' shipped this morning (9/6). Hopefully I'll get my hands on it soon and post some first impressions.

Back to Top View Jason's Profile Search for other posts by Jason Visit Jason's Homepage

Jason
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: September 14 2005 at 12:33pm | IP Logged Quote Jason

Well, I've just been informed that my order for 'NASCAR 2005: Race for the Cup' was finally delivered to my house today (1.5 weeks later ). I'll post some impressions in a few days.

Jason
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: September 14 2005 at 7:22pm | IP Logged Quote Jason

Anyone know what the 'Speed: FOV' slider is for? I 'googled' it and couldn't find any definitive answers.

Ted

Posted: September 14 2005 at 8:51pm | IP Logged Quote Ted

In the combat flight simulators I play FOV stands for Field of View.  Usually there are three settings at 55, 75, and I believe 90 degrees.  In practice it makes you move forward or back in the cockpit.  What happens when you change it in Nascar?  Does your camera view change?

Back to Top View Ted's Profile Search for other posts by Ted Visit Ted's Homepage

Jason
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: September 15 2005 at 12:40pm | IP Logged Quote Jason

Granatofan wrote:
What happens when you change it in Nascar?  Does your camera view change?

I'll check tonight. I didn't mess around with it too much last night.

Jason
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: September 16 2005 at 6:45pm | IP Logged Quote Jason

It seems the "Speed (FOV)" slider adjust the sense of speed as opposed to changing the camera view. Moving the slider up made for a much greater sense of speed at the expense of the frame rate. This is a pretty nice feature for a racing game to have though.

BTW, I am terrible at this game. I'm finishing all my races at the bottom of the pack (usually dead last) on the easiest level .

Jason
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: September 27 2005 at 11:23am | IP Logged Quote Jason

This game shows how little I know about NASCAR racing. To be fair to myself thought, I will admit that I haven't played the game too much with NCAA Football and NHL Hitz Pro occupying most of my game time. I was able to win some races right away with NASCAR 2003 but haven't come close in a handful of races in NASCAR 2005 so far.

Ted

Posted: September 27 2005 at 1:29pm | IP Logged Quote Ted

Jason, I might look for 05 on the cheap, but it isn't in any of the used bins where I look so far.  Have you tried or thought about getting ToCA 2?  It's online as well and is a superb online racer.  I'll let you know if I get a copy of Nascar05.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version