Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
The Locker Room (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 Sports Gaming Nation Archive : The Locker Room
Subject Topic: I must say that... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Jason
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: December 05 2005 at 8:37pm | IP Logged Quote Jason

Monday Night Football in widescreen HD is a thing of beauty.

Back to Top View Jason's Profile Search for other posts by Jason Visit Jason's Homepage

Webdanzer
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: December 06 2005 at 7:29am | IP Logged Quote Webdanzer

Not if you're an Eagles fan.

Back to Top View Webdanzer's Profile Search for other posts by Webdanzer Visit Webdanzer's Homepage

Jason
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: December 06 2005 at 7:35am | IP Logged Quote Jason

Webdanzer wrote:
Not if you're an Eagles fan.

That made it even better .

Back to Top View Jason's Profile Search for other posts by Jason Visit Jason's Homepage

K_Mosley

Posted: December 07 2005 at 7:43pm | IP Logged Quote K_Mosley

I've yet to see HD in action...  And I don't want to, because all I would do is fret about not being able to afford it at the moment!

That said, what is the difference?  Honestly, I get an excellent picture with my digital cable, and I wonder how it can be much better?!  Then again, at first, I couldn't tell much difference between a CD and my EQ'd turnable years ago (back in the mid-80's), but I've long since seen the light! 

Kevin

Jason
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: December 07 2005 at 8:39pm | IP Logged Quote Jason

K_Mosley wrote:
That said, what is the difference?  Honestly, I get an excellent picture with my digital cable, and I wonder how it can be much better?! 

The best way to answer that is to simply say 'you have to see it to believe it'. I've been into home theater equipment for quite a few years and have always had decent TVs (before my HDTV), calibrated them and used top of the line cables (Monster Component cables) for my DVD players and still couldn't believe how much better HDTV looks. During Monday Night Football, I could see the crowd in the background so clearly that I almost felt like I was at the game. You can also see alot of details you've never seen before like wrinkles in clothing and skin texture.

While not as large or popular, tube HDTVs are quite inexpensive and still offer better picture quality than LCD's and plasmas. My TV was only $799 with no tax or shipping and no payments (or interest) or 18 months, which is how I got my wife to agree to the purchase. Samsung and Panasonic have have excellent tube HDTV's that are even less.

K_Mosley

Posted: December 08 2005 at 11:06am | IP Logged Quote K_Mosley

What would be the advantage with LCD or plasma - just size and weight?

Thanks for the info, Jason.

Kevin

Jason
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: December 08 2005 at 11:23am | IP Logged Quote Jason

K_Mosley wrote:
What would be the advantage with LCD or plasma - just size and weight?

Yes, that's it.

K_Mosley

Posted: December 08 2005 at 12:55pm | IP Logged Quote K_Mosley

So, forgive me for asking the obvious, "tube" TV's will be just as acceptable in the future for HDTV as any other kind, right?  That may hasten my purchase a bit...

Kevin

Brent

Posted: December 08 2005 at 1:24pm | IP Logged Quote Brent

K_Mosley wrote:

So, forgive me for asking the obvious, "tube" TV's will be just as acceptable in the future for HDTV as any other kind, right?  That may hasten my purchase a bit...

Kevin

If TV size (weight) is not an issue the CRT HD's have some of the best HD picture qty's on the market.

For example (From Crutchifield) a big factor is...

Black level
Describes the appearance of darker portions of a video image. Black is the absence of light, so to create the black portions of an image, a display must be able to shut off as much light as possible. Displays with good black level capability not only produce deeper blacks, but also reveal more details and shading in dark or shadowy scenes. High-quality CRT-based TVs generally have better black level performance than digital displays such as plasma, LCD, DLP, and LCoS.

They are also easier to watch from angles and do not have the issues with ghosting and the rainbow effects.

Back to Top View Brent's Profile Search for other posts by Brent

Jason
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: December 08 2005 at 1:46pm | IP Logged Quote Jason

K_Mosley wrote:

Kevin

Obsolutely. Actually, some plasmas can't display true HD (like the older ones from Gateway) images. As long as the TV can handle 480p, 720p and 1080i, you'll be fine.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version