Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: My Next-Gen Dilemma
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMy Next-Gen Dilemma

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Next-Gen Dilemma
    Posted: 05-19-2007 at 8:25am
Now that my itch for a next-gen console has increased, I've been struggling to make a decision on which one to buy (I only buy one console each generation). Here on my pros and cons on the Xbox 360 and PS3 (the Wii is not an option):

PS3 Pros:
- I've been very satisfied with my PS1 and PS2 purchases over the past 11 years.
- The Dual Shock is the only controller I've used for the past 11 years.
- The PS3 is supposedly the most powerful next-gen console and I've never owned the most powerful console before (NES < Sega Master System, Genesis < SNES, PS1 < N64 and PS2 < Xbox). The consoles I've owned are bolded.
- The PS3 offers FREE online play and their online network in constantly improving.
- The PS3 is a Blu-Ray player and I've become more interested in Blu-Ray now that it looks like it will be the dominant HD disc format.
- There are some Sony exclusives that I really enjoy like 'The Show', 'WipeOut' and 'Gran Turismo'.
- The build quality of the PS3 seems to much better than previous consoles.
- A lot of developers have recently mentioned the power of the PS3 now that they're getting familiar with the architecture.

PS3 Cons:
- The price. $599 is a lot it spend for a video game system. A $100 price drop is expected.
- No one around here has a PS3.

Xbox 360 Pros:
- Most of the members here have an Xbox 360 and it would be great to play against them online.
- Xbox Live is supposed to be an excellent online network.
- The Xbox 360 is less expensive than the PS3.
- There are more Xbox 360 games right now and the developers are more familiar with the console.

Xbox 360 Cons:
- There are MANY reports of reliability problems with the Xbox 360. This discourages me the most and I refuse to buy an extended warranty for anything.
- There aren't any Xbox exclusives that interest me (including Halo 3).
- Xbox Live is not free.
- The Xbox 360 Elite is not much less than a PS3.
- I'd have to get accustomed to a new controller after 11 years.
- No Blu-Ray support.

I'd be interested in hearing any comments on my thoughts.
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-19-2007 at 10:31am
I love my 360 for the games, Live, the controller, etc.  I'm having the most fun with this console perhaps over any other I've owned, period.

However, there is no way in hell I would recommend you picking one up without an extended warranty.  I still have a launch unit that hasn't crapped out yet, but it still seems to be a matter of if, not when, and I admit to feeling that dark cloud hanging over me.

Jason, since we're in-state 'neighbors', I do extend the offer for you to come over to my place maybe some weekend so that you can sit down and really get some good hands-on time with the 360 and the controller.  While I'd love to 'recruit' you for selfish reasons (someone to beat at baseball ;) ) I'd rather you make an informed decision on what works best for you.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-19-2007 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by webdanzer

Jason, since we're in-state 'neighbors', I do extend the offer for you to come over to my place maybe some weekend so that you can sit down and really get some good hands-on time with the 360 and the controller.  While I'd love to 'recruit' you for selfish reasons (someone to beat at baseball ;) ) I'd rather you make an informed decision on what works best for you.

I'll take you up on that. After I return from vacation on June 2nd, I should have some free weekends (finally). Let's try to get together at some point.

Let me also mention that I wouldn't buy either console until the price of the PS3 drops $100 or the Xbox 360 is redesigned and released with the cooler chip.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-19-2007 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by Jason

Let me also mention that I wouldn't buy either console until the price of the PS3 drops $100 or the Xbox 360 is redesigned and released with the cooler chip.

Well enjoy that PS3.

At the rate they are selling I can see a price drop next week.

The new chip 65nm is not going to be around until 2008 on the Xbox and that is assuming SOMETIME in 2008.

Take Webdanzer up on the offer and see what you are or are not missing. Then purchase a Xbox 360 and be done with it.  I would gladly pitch in to pay for 12 months of Xbox Live since you host/maintain this forum for us plus all the other things like leagues.

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-19-2007 at 1:10pm
Brent, I plan to take Web up on his offer. I appreciate your offer to chip in for Xbox Live, but it's not necessary. Believe me, the fact that you have an Xbox 360 and a Live account make it very tempting. If no one around here had a 360 my decision would be made already.
Zeppo View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Zeppo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-20-2007 at 11:57am

PS3 Pros:
- The PS3 is supposedly the most powerful next-gen console and I've never owned the most powerful console before.
- The PS3 offers FREE online play and their online network in constantly improving.
- The PS3 is a Blu-Ray player and I've become more interested in Blu-Ray now that it looks like it will be the dominant HD disc format.

Not sure I believe the bit about the PS3 being the most powerful.  There may be numbers that can be thrown out one way or the other, but it appears so far that multi-platform games perform better on the 360, and the 360 has better development tools.

The PS3 online system could improve for 1000 years and it still wouldn't approach what XBL does, because it's a difference in philosophy, not merely function.  MS, for reasons of their own, are committed to the online community concept as part of the package for the 360, and the only thing I've ever heard about PS3 online that is in any way positive is that 'it's free.'  When comparing it to something that costs less than $4.20 a month, that's a pretty desperate reach for something (anything!) positive.

Blu-Ray v. HD-DVD is a valid difference, but personally I think you should make the decision based on gaming and gaming options, not secondary video formats.  Personally it rubs me the wrong way how bald-facedly Sony has used their PS brand to trojan-horse in their preferred HD format into homes, but if Blu-Ray v. HD-DVD is a major factor in what games you want to play, what's the point of asking for opinions?  Plus, don't forget that if HD-DVD dies a horrible death, MS will turn around lickety-split and put out an external Blu-Ray player (if they can swallow the fees Sony will demand. . . ).

Xbox 360 Pros:
- Xbox Live is supposed to be an excellent online network.
- There are more Xbox 360 games right now and the developers are more familiar with the console.

Xbox 360 Cons:
- There are MANY reports of reliability problems with the Xbox 360. This discourages me the most and I refuse to buy an extended warranty for anything.
- There aren't any Xbox exclusives that interest me (including Halo 3).
- Xbox Live is not free.
- The Xbox 360 Elite is not much less than a PS3.
- I'd have to get accustomed to a new controller after 11 years.
- No Blu-Ray support. 
Weird, it doesn't seem to want to post the second quote, but the below are in relation to the 360 group of questions/ points:

There's no 'supposed to be' about XBL being excellent.  It is excellent, it is integrated into the fabric of the platform as a whole, it is consistent from game to game, and includes a hell of a lot more than just online gaming as part of its basic functionality.  Lose the 'supposed to be' and accept that it is excellent.

Exclusives interesting you or not is something I can't comment on, but again it seems that so far all of the multi-platform games perform better on Xbox, plus have the added bonus of XBL functionality built-in, not added-on.  I'd bet there are a number of 360 exclusives that you would get excited about once the possiblity for you to play them was real.  Same could be true of PS3 as well, of course.

XBL is not free, it costs about $4.17 a month, less if you are creative with various offers from time to time.

Get accustomed to a new controller?  Get over it.  It's not a big adjustment, all the controllers these days are of the same basic design, and ergonomically pretty equal.  I think the 360 is by far the superior controller, especially with the triggers for driving games, and let's not forget rumble, but there's nothing really wrong with either of them and you won't have a big adjustment period.

Again with the Blu-Ray.  Sounds like Blu-Ray is the main reason you want a next-gen console, and if so, you don't have a choice.  If it's games that interest you, I think you should look at the 360 and PS3 outside of their secondary video formats, but if you want Blu-Ray, there probably isn't a better deal for a Blu-Ray player than the PS3.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-20-2007 at 2:23pm
Zeppo, I wrote "supposed to be" about Xbox Live because I have personally NEVER seen or used Xbox Live and can't make a definitive comment on something I have never used.

I also don't have a problem paying for an Xbox Live account, but online play it not as important to me as it once was. I don't have as much free time to play against people online.

Blu-Ray is not the main reason I'm interested in a next-gen console but it is a factor. When I had first purchased a PS2 in 2001, I already owned 2 stand-alone DVD players, but I don't see myself buying a stand-alone Blu-Ray player anytime soon.

Again, my biggest reason for wanting a PS3 is for "The Show" and "WipeOut" series and my biggest complaint with the Xbox 360 is its reliability issues.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-20-2007 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by Zeppo

Get accustomed to a new controller?  Get over it.  It's not a big adjustment, all the controllers these days are of the same basic design, and ergonomically pretty equal.  I think the 360 is by far the superior controller, especially with the triggers for driving games, and let's not forget rumble, but there's nothing really wrong with either of them and you won't have a big adjustment period.

Have to second this. One thing I always hear around sites like NeoGaf where fanboys are rampant is that the Xbox 360 controller is better than the PS3 controller. Even the diehard PS3 guys have mentioned this because of the reasons above (Triggers and rumble) and the comfort of the controller.  Plus the layout is setup for an easy transition for PS2 owners.

As for the reliability it is a big issue but I have never once had an issue (knocks on wood).  If yours does have an issue you can invest in a little peace of mind.

2%20Year%20Extended%20Service%20Plan%20for%20a%20Game%20System%20$300-$499.99
2 Year Extended Service Plan for a Game System $300-$499.99
$32.82
3%20Year%20Extended%20Service%20Plan%20for%20a%20Game%20System%20$300-$499.99
3 Year Extended Service Plan for a Game System $300-$499.99
$49.82

That is just over a $1 a month and due to the turnaround time getting a replacement from Microsoft worth every penny.

I am not trying to push you one way or the other. I just think that for the money XBL offers you something worth the price you pay for.  Free is nice but playing online on the PS3 has plenty of drawbacks due to the lack of service.

You can enjoy the 360 now, playing games online with the bunch of us that already have one.  Then when the PS3 drops down to an affordable price you can get once to play the Sony games you want.  Even better the games you want to play like MLB07 will have dropped dramatically in price.

The console is simply a tool to play the game, I think of it as nothing else. Eventually I will also pick up a PS3 to play some of the Sony exclusive games like Hot Shots Golf, etc. Until then I plenty of sports games at my disposal on the 360.

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
Zeppo View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Zeppo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-23-2007 at 1:11pm
Damn, I just re-read my post and my goodness, aren't I the a-hole.  Must be in a bad mood these days for some reason, so i apologize for the nasty tone.

However, I would like to clarify my basic argument, which is that if Blu-ray is an important factor in your choice, well then, PS3 is a no-brainer.  If online play is a major factor in your choice, I think 360 is the obvious pick.  There's a lot to like in the XBL arcade and other features of the 360 that most folks don't realize until they live with one for a while, and maybe PS3 has its own ancillary features that I don't know about since I don't have one.  Good luck with your choice.
 Post Reply Post Reply