Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: The "I've got APF2K8" but Jason forgot about me
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedThe "I've got APF2K8" but Jason forgot about me

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Legend
Legend

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The "I've got APF2K8" but Jason forgot about me
    Posted: 07-13-2007 at 8:01pm
Since it is coming out a day before NCAA. Embarrassed

Unless they put out a demo that wows me, or gets terrific reviews, I am going to hold off on this one until the price drops.  NCAA08 will more than keep me busy until Madden08 hits and even then NCAA08 will get the most playtime. I just can't see paying $59.99 for a game that does not have a franchise since most of my time is spent offline.  The legends really do little for me and I guess I am a license whore.

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-19-2007 at 3:57am
Oh I caved.

Early impressions. Earl Campbell is a freaking beast in the game. I am still liking NCAA08 more but this could provide some enjoyable games online. You really do have to focus on the other teams Legends.  The new kicking feature is a PITA (think extended version of shooting free throws in NBA/CH 2k). While it does play alot like 2K5 there are definite improvements. Passing game and the animations are top notch. The graphics look alot better on a HD set then in videos. Not having fun on defense as they have made the control really weird and I keep toying back and forth with the auto strafe. Sometimes it works well, other times it won't break out of the strafe when I need to run down someone. The other option forces me to use the friggin Right Trigger to strafe (it's L Trigger). I would retool NCAA/Madden08 but I think the R-Trigger is perfect for sprint.

* I have to curse 2ksports for leaving out the ability to customize the controls. Guess I will just have to actually think when controlling my players. Wacko

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-19-2007 at 6:05am
Which game looks better, NCAA or APF? Also, is the controller layout configurable in NCAA?
K_Mosley View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote K_Mosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-19-2007 at 11:09am
You can't configure the controller in NCAA, at least that I can find.  It bums me out - I'm having to re-learn some things.

Kevin
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-19-2007 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by K_Mosley

You can't configure the controller in NCAA, at least that I can find.  It bums me out - I'm having to re-learn some things.

Kevin

Regarding NCAA 08

Just go to controller configuration and most of the buttons can be remapped.  I only had an issue with changing one, apparently on defense engaged you can't make anything "A."

Both games look good, not great.  Edge would go to NCAA08.

It will be really hard justifying $60 on this game. I am shrinkwrapping it up and getting a full refund.  Not that the game is bad mind you, it is just way too similar to 2K5 and far too many of 2K5 flaws are still there.

I shook my head a few minutes ago when the "neverending no huddle offense" reared it's ugly head.  Out of nowhere a team will start the no huddle and continue running it until they reach a dead ball situation, which is usually caused by half of your team being on the other side of the LOS. Just like it happened when I played 2K5.

Also the control of the game still feels off and I hate tap tap tapping my "A" button to make Earl run fast.  Defense is a chore to me and I doubt I could ever settle om playing it with/without strafe since neither feels right. Too many things to relearn and it really pisses me off in this day and age that they did not make the controls customizable. I feel like I am rewarding 2ksports with a $60 purchase on what is starting to look more like a half-assed effort. I play mostly offline and this game really leans itself to someone who plays the majority of their games online.

Plus the rosters are out now for NCAA 2008. Embarrassed

Here were some pictures taken at TXB which show how good APF 2k8 looks up close. The helmets and uniforms look better in 2K8.

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-19-2007 at 6:11pm
Thanks for the info guys. I may have a very hard time adjusting to the new control scheme.
K_Mosley View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote K_Mosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-19-2007 at 7:43pm
Re-mapping button by button?  I haven't tried that.  The bad part for me is that "A" is my sprint button from years past!  That's the one I'd like to change! 

I guess this old dog will have to learn new tricks, LOL...

Brent - I didn't think you could import rosters on the 360.  Did MS lock that down?  What's the work-around?

Thanks,

Kevin
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-19-2007 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by K_Mosley

Re-mapping button by button?  I haven't tried that.  The bad part for me is that "A" is my sprint button from years past!  That's the one I'd like to change! 

I guess this old dog will have to learn new tricks, LOL...

Brent - I didn't think you could import rosters on the 360.  Did MS lock that down?  What's the work-around?

Thanks,

Kevin

I thought that same way but I find that R-Trigger for sprint is the better choice. Just think of it like a racing game where "A" usually accelerates. Try getting used to it because it is real nice to put out a quick stiff arm with "A" which is much better then last year where "A" was juke. I stick with the right thumbstick for that.

As for rosters just head over to OS or fkrosters.com and download FK's rosters.

I am assuming you have the Datel transfer kit?  If not you need to get one and a memory card.

Unzip the file (on the 360 you have to) and you will have a (filename).z36 that will be loaded to your memory card.

* Insert memory card to 360 and copy or move file to the hard drive.
* Load up the game and load the roster file.
* Save the file as a new file (rename the file to something different than the original). This will prevent any issues with Dashboard updates.
* Delete the original file.

Let me know when you have some free time so we can get a few Ohio State - Oklahoma games.

Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-20-2007 at 2:11am
Online steps up to the next level... Edited rosters are allowed online (even ranked matches)

The names not only show up on the team you are playing they also show up for the player that your opponent is using (this does not even happen with games against the CPU)

The opponent does not have the names show up, unless they have them on their end.

K_Mosley View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote K_Mosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-20-2007 at 8:27pm
Good news on all fronts, Brent...

I don't have the data transfer kit or a memory card.  I probably won't buy one just for rosters.  After a couple of seasons, it really doesn't matter anyway, since I won't know anyone except my Buckeyes and Zips, which I'll enter myself.

We'll definitely have to hook up and play.  You know I haven't even played a match on Live yet, LOL...  Let me get some more time with the game so I can be a worthy opponent.  So far, other than the demo, I've spent all my time in CL mode...

What nights and times work best for you?  We will set something up very soon...

Thanks,

Kevin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>