Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Hot Shots Tennis
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHot Shots Tennis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
MVP
MVP

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote K_Mosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hot Shots Tennis
    Posted: 07-25-2007 at 10:21pm
Well, despite having 3 little girls over last night, and 3 of my son's friends over tonight, I managed to squeeze a little time in with Hot Shots Tennis.

I'm not that familiar with the Hot Shots series, but I get the idea it's designed to be a family-fun type of game.  My first impression is that it's a cross between a Nintendo game and Japanese anime, with the cartoon kid characters and the "let's be friends" theme.  It's not your daddy's sports game, but it still could be fun.

There isn't a lot in terms of modes.  Basically, you have training, "free play," and then a challenge mode where you have to win "X" amount of matches to move up in level and unlock characters, locales, and so forth.  There's no world ranking system here...  Singles and doubles are available, though.

On the court, the action isn't bad.  It moves at a slower pace, but it plays a pretty good game of tennis.  You have lob shots, slice shots, smash shots, top spin shots, volleys, and three different kind of serves.  They're all pretty easy to execute, provided your feet are in the right place, and you time the stroke just right.  You use the stick to place the ball where you'd like against your opponent.  The nice thing is, the game punishes you for bad positioning and timing.  And, if you come in to the net at the wrong time, you'll pay.  Your opponent will work you as well, if you're not chasing them around the court first, just like real tennis. 

At first, I thought I was going to need to break out the manual to compete, as I dropped my first 5 games.  However, I won the next four before dropping the set.  With a little more practice, it will be fairly easy to win consistently.  I'd imagine unlocking more opponents will pose a bit of a challenge, but that remains to be seen. 

Balls are hit into the net, hit out of bounds, and downright missed.  Angles and location are paramount, as is your strategy for attacking your opponent.  Beneath the "kiddie" atmosphere is a solid game of tennis, assuming the challenge level holds up. 

It doesn't appear to be a very deep game, and I would say that my first impression is that it's designed primarily for kids.  However, that doesn't mean that it won't provide a few hours of fun for adults.  Just don't expect a deeper tennis sim like Top Spin.

Much more to come, and of course, these thoughts are subject to change as I play more!  Big%20smile

Kevin
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-26-2007 at 6:24am
Thanks Kevin - that's all I needed to hear. I'll probably pick it up today. I'm not looking for a deep tennis game, just one with good gameplay.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-26-2007 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by Jason

Thanks Kevin - that's all I needed to hear. I'll probably pick it up today. I'm not looking for a deep tennis game, just one with good gameplay.

I just got back from CC with my copy. I'll try to post some impressions tonight or tomorrow if anyone's interested.
K_Mosley View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote K_Mosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-26-2007 at 8:29pm
It might be just us chickens in this thread...  But that's okay.  I like comparing notes!  It helps me make sure I didn't miss anything, since I'm a bit OCD about those things.  NervousSmile

Kevin
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-26-2007 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by K_Mosley

Well, despite having 3 little girls over last night

Your wife didn't mind? WinkLOL
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-26-2007 at 9:58pm
3 matches, 3 losses, a ton of fun Thumbs%20Up. This was a good pickup for $20.
K_Mosley View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote K_Mosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-27-2007 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Jason

Originally posted by K_Mosley

Well, despite having 3 little girls over last night

Your wife didn't mind? WinkLOL

LOL...  Just a swingin', baby!

You didn't know I was into midgets, did you?! LOL

Kevin
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-27-2007 at 4:06pm
If this game was online I'd beg Ted to buy a copy too. This game is flat-out fun.
K_Mosley View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote K_Mosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-28-2007 at 10:18am
Agreed, Jason.  I just completed the "Beginner's" level in the challenge mode.  I didn't drop a match, but I did drop a few games.  I love the way each player plays to his or her strengths, and forces you to change your strategy.  I thought JJ was going to get me, until I switched up by playing the net more to take away his speed advantage.  It's definitely a "kiddie" game, but it plays some solid tennis!  It's not as flashy or as fast-paced as some of the others I've played, but strategy-wise and shot-making wise it's as good as I've played.

A minor complaint I have is that there aren't enough balls hit into the net, and I've yet to see a double-fault.  Otherwise, it's very good.

I played my first doubles match, too, and loved it!  That Ashley can play, LOL...

Kevin
K_Mosley View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote K_Mosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-28-2007 at 10:20am
Oh - one other thing...  You'd better approach the net at the right time, or you'll get burned, just like real tennis. 

Despite it's exterior, I've been EXTREMEMLY impressed with the type of tennis this game plays.  I can't say it enough.  So far, it's been outstanding.

Kevin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>