Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: My Day with the Xbox 360
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMy Day with the Xbox 360

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Day with the Xbox 360
    Posted: 10-01-2007 at 4:03pm
I can no longer say that I've never played an Xbox game or seen Xbox Live. Thanks to one of my co-workers, I was able to test run and Xbox 360 for most of the day at the office. Of all the games and demos I tried today, NHL 08 and Bioshock were the most impressive. Halo 3 seemed pretty good, but I'm not very good at FPS games and Madden was a little disappointing. NASCAR 08 was nice looking but the handling was a little loose.

I had a hard time adjusting to the left-analog stick location. On Sony's system, the D-Pad is located where the Xbox's left-analog stick is and vice versa. I'm sure I'll adjust, but it will take some getting used to.

On the plus side, I can see why everyone talks about Xbox Live so favorably. It's easy to use and offers a lot of features and connectivity. More to come...
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-01-2007 at 4:10pm
Most of the sports games are a little disappointing but we just have to live with that.  On the bright side they are getting a little better and you missed out on a lot of the crud others paid $59.99 to play the past few years.

I told you NHL08 was good. Just pick up NCAA 08 and for get Madden if it comes down to owning one.

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-01-2007 at 7:41pm
What's the "issue" with NCAA Football? Is it just that the CPU QB's throw too many INTs?

Back to today:

Bioshock's atmosphere was incredible. The only problem is that I'd preferred watching other people play rather than play myself. The story and environment were more interesting to me than the actual gameplay.

NHL 08 was a blast. I would've enjoyed it even more if I was more familiar with the controls. The graphics were nice and the gameplay was smooth.

Madden 08: I thought is was decent looking but felt the gameplay was not as polished as the PS2 version. I'm sure I'd adjust to it after a while, but neither the graphics or gameplay blew me away like Madden 2002 did last generation. Also, the passes felt kind of "floaty" much like the 2K series.

NASCAR 08: Unlike Madden, I was impressed with the graphics of NASCAR 08. Unfortunately, like Madden, I wasn't too impressed with the actual gameplay. A racing wheel could make a huge difference though.

Halo 3: I thought it looked good but not incredible (I had very high expectations). I can see myself having a lot of fun with this game once I learn how to play it. What's the consensus out there? Is "Gears of War" a better-looking game than "Halo 3"?

These are also just very quick impressions. I didn't have extensive play time with any of the games. Also, Madden, NHL and NASCAR were demos. I was impressed by the Xbox 360, but not blown away.
K_Mosley View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote K_Mosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-01-2007 at 7:59pm
FYI...  Demos rarely do the final game justice.  Also, I just read an article on Dubious Quality where Halo 3 isn't even rendered in true HD.  I'd conjecture that Gears is still the best looking game on the 360.

And, I think I've found sliders that minimize the INT problem on NCAA football, but YMMV...

Kevin
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-02-2007 at 12:56pm
Jason,

Just curious what kind of display you played on?
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-02-2007 at 1:28pm
We have a 37" widescreen LCD TV at the office.
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-02-2007 at 3:31pm
Gears is definitely more graphically impressive than Halo 3, yep.
Slumberland View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-02-2007 at 4:31pm
Gears is somewhat better looking, yes, but you can't replay movies of both online and campaign battles and take snapshots with a free roaming camera with all lighting and particle effects and even surround sounds still active in slo-mo... that stuff is GREAT in Halo.
Zeppo View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Zeppo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-03-2007 at 6:09pm
In my opinion, Gears and Halo3 are very much on par with each other graphically.  Now, bear with me on this argument: they are different in what they do, but they both do it very welll.  Gears is presenting much smaller areas, many fewer characters, and much less insanity of action at any given time than Halo3 is doing.  This gives it advantages that allows it to look much better on a screenshot-to-screenshot basis.  The textures in Gears are much more impressive, there is a lot more atmosphere due to the weather effects, and so on.  The character models are more complex and better textured, as well.  However, Halo3 has much smoother framerates, it seems to me, and considering the amount of crap going on at any given time, the amount of stuff flying around in real time, with the physics chrunching going on, and the size of the spaces you can see, especially on some of the later, humongous maps, it is very impressive how smoothly the game runs.  The lighting in Halo3 is also exemplary.  The lighting is great in Gears, but there is some serious extra oomph to the lighting effects going on in Halo3.  Finally, Gears seems to suffer from the all too common depth of field/ blur effect, and a general shimmeriness (that's not a word, but who cares) that seem to me to help keep the textures are insanely good as they are.  Halo3, on the other hand, has a sadly unique (for the 360, anyway) style of favoring sharpness and clarity to some kind of realism.  This can make some objects and textures look sort of cheap and video-gamey, but the bonus is that everything is clear all the time and easy to discern, even at quite a distance.

Once you add in the crazy film theater stuff and screenshots you can do in Halo3, it's tough for me to agree that Gears is greatly more impressive graphically than Halo3.  Sure, comparing one screenshot to the other will give Gears the big advantage, but in playing the game, they both do their thing quite well, and I am enjoying the visual thrills of Halo3 just as much as I did those of Gears.
 Post Reply Post Reply