Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: NBA 2K8 & Live 08 Impressions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNBA 2K8 & Live 08 Impressions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Legend
Legend

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NBA 2K8 & Live 08 Impressions
    Posted: 10-10-2007 at 12:53am
You might see of you can have your co-worker bring that 360 up again and give it a test run.

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-10-2007 at 6:17am
We're definitely going to do again once we have a quiet day at the office.
Slumberland View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-10-2007 at 11:23am
I rented Live for the 360, played one game (Nets vs. Knicks) and enjoyed it quite a bit.  Looks good, plays well, a lot of the gimmickry bullcrap has been jettisoned, and I beat the Knicks on a last second Vince Carer jumper that they had to check the replay on to see if it counted.  The silence as they waited for the ref's decision and the subsequent eruption as he gave the signal that it counted was pretty stirring, I must say.  And still I sent the game back today, thinking that was probably about as good as it would get for me.  My long-term commitment to sports games is just non-existent these days.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-10-2007 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by Brent

You might see of you can have your co-worker bring that 360 up again and give it a test run.

He may bring it in tomorrow. I'm itching to try the Live 08 demo (there is one right?).

Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-10-2007 at 4:32pm
Yep there is one for it and 2k8.

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-10-2007 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by Brent

Yep there is one for it and 2k8.

Thumbs%20Up
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-10-2007 at 5:34pm
I would recommend downloading APF 2K8 demo. It might be a game you would want to play in place of Madden/NCAA (I am keeping both of these, just mentioning it). After noticing some updates they have done to the online (I heard they patched it last week) fixing some of the bugs and now you can play ranked games with auto-strafe off.   Plus they have confirmed APF2K9 so I need to keep practicing.  If you take away the licenses, which I do so love, APF is a much better football game, from pretty much every standpoint. The refs eyes (the uncanny valley) look a bit creepy up close but at least they put refs and chain gangs on the field. I do not hate NCAA/Madden and they are a step-up from previous versions, just not what I would expect from a game in it's third year on the 360 (Madden).  Just no atmosphere and overall feel of a Pro game and missing so many little visual things that are in the current gen version.

So yea when I go pickup Fifa08 tomorrow I will be re-purchasing a copy of APF2K8 since it has dropped to $29.99 and I got that much back when I sold it last time (not to Gamestop of course).

EA is just hit or miss. I love NHL but outside of that game everything else is just blah.  Tiger Woods still has yet to update a fix for the problems oniline and with other features (a game I will not repurchase). No NCAA updates or alternate unis and while Madden has had an update nothing really seems better, most fixes were online. I have high hopes for a solid Fifa game.

Also the Simpsons and PGR4 demos (for the graphical whore in all of us) are now available.

Edited out Gamefly info

Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-10-2007 at 6:03pm
Heh,

The Gamefly $10 off trick would work but too big a PITA as you have to create multiple (household) accounts to get the $10 off.

For anyone interested and does not mind watching roughly 20 commercials between 15sec to 2min each here is a link.

Plus I got Gamefly confused with Gamerang, who offers more shipping locations. I might still try a rental company but until then I guess I will just stick to demos for the non-sports goodies.

Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-10-2007 at 6:23pm
Interesting addition coming to NBA Live 08... Might have to pick this one up if you decide to get this on the 360 to play some co-op hoops.

NBA Live 08 to add online team play

10 Oct, 2007  No Comment

In a surprising move, EA has announced that online team play will be added to NBA Live 08 via a free downloadable update. This will offer a complete five on five experience over 10 different consoles.

Prior to the games starting each individual can choose a position to lock into, or if all 10 slots aren’t filled by users you can choose to keep switching between players open during the games. If there are aren’t 10 people for a game the open slots will be filled by AI.

The update is expected to be made available by the end of November.

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-10-2007 at 7:05pm
It seems that the next-gen versions also use the abrupt camera transition during a change of possession when using the "Baseline" camera Thumbs%20Down. At least the sideline/broadcast views look better this year.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>