Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: 5.1 Sound on the 360
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked5.1 Sound on the 360

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MVP
MVP

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 5.1 Sound on the 360
    Posted: 10-02-2007 at 1:21pm
Can anyone tell me what the back looks like?  I see a picture of a cord, but it looks like it is just a straight-up red & white jack.  The specs say it is 5.1 surround though.

So I know I can use the HDMI to hook the 360 into my Dell 24" monitor, but what I also hope for is that I can use my 5.1 headphones as well and wish to know how they would connect.

Better yet, anyone with a digital cam that can take a picture of the back of their unit?

Thanks,

Ted
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-02-2007 at 2:01pm
Edit: removed the first link was for monster cables only...

The 360 manuals that shows all the different setups
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemsetup/xbox360/resources/instructionmanuals.htm

As for the back of the 360 it is really not necessary as you have to use a MS approved audio/video hookup (not standard to anything else)

As you can see from the image, where the cord plus into the 360, there is an optical connection for digital audio.

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-02-2007 at 2:10pm
Thanks for the link.

It states that you must purchase a digital audio cable separately, but it doesn't state whether it supports coaxial or fiber (Toslink) digital cables.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-02-2007 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by Jason

Thanks for the link.

It states that you must purchase a digital audio cable separately, but it doesn't state whether it supports coaxial or fiber (Toslink) digital cables.

Okay, I just found this:

Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-02-2007 at 2:14pm

Thanks for the link.

It states that you must purchase a digital audio cable separately, but it doesn't state whether it supports coaxial or fiber digital cables.

Just added another link. Digital cables. No orange cables allowed. ;)  You can buy a high priced coax to digital converter I guess.

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-02-2007 at 2:18pm

Okay, I just found this:

Beat you to it WinkLOL.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-02-2007 at 2:54pm
Well, for my headphones it has three little jacks (sony style little mm ones).  The sub and center share a jack.  Right/Left share one and rears share one.  It actually puts out an impressive sound even though you don't get any true low end thumping.

So is there an adapter out there that can take that type of connection and mate it with a digital cable?  I have one of those too.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-02-2007 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by Ted_L

Well, for my headphones it has three little jacks (sony style little mm ones).  The sub and center share a jack.  Right/Left share one and rears share one.  It actually puts out an impressive sound even though you don't get any true low end thumping.

So is there an adapter out there that can take that type of connection and mate it with a digital cable?  I have one of those too.

Do you have the model of the headphone?  A site where I can look at it?

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-02-2007 at 3:13pm
Ted, do your headphones produce true surround sound or simulated surround sound?
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-02-2007 at 3:36pm
This is the updated version of my headphones.  Mine have a boom mic and the new ones are built in.  http://www.ltbaudio.com/mgusb51.html
They say they are true 5.1.  They are really amazing to me and I can highly recommend them if anyone is in the market for 5.1 headphones.   I think I got them for $80 two years ago.  They are comfortable for hours at a time Embarrassed and really feel like the sound is in your head.  I haven't heard a pair of speakers that come close to the sound I get from these.  The one downside has been they have been on the flimsy side and I have had to epoxy them three times in two years.  Still working great though if they are a bit ugly to look at now LOL.

The reason I'm so interested in this is that when I get a 360 I want to play it right where my PC is.  So I'll use my Dell and these headphones for sound.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>