Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: What are you currently playing?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhat are you currently playing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
All-Star
All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What are you currently playing?
    Posted: 10-19-2007 at 2:11pm
Advent Rising, Ted?  How's that one treating you?  I remember looking forward to it in previews, then ignoring it completely once released.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-19-2007 at 3:03pm
Hey Seth,

I remember previews for this and being completely uninterested at the time.  I was browsing games on Steam and this one was available for $15.  Went to gamespot and it was reviewed as fair although user reviews were good or better and said it was "underappreciated."  Did a little more digging and found out that opinion was that combat was derivative, levels very linear, but had a great story and fantastic soundtrack.  Watched a trailer and got sucked in.

Agree that combat is derivative of Halo and pretty uninspired, levels are linear, the graphics are very crisp on PC (can't speak to xbox), and there is a fun tongue in cheek sort of cockiness of the main character.  Sort of like Tom Cruise from Top Gun.

Orchestral soundtrack and voice acting are strong.  The story, while not original, is fine and the cutscenes are moderately long and well done.  They do however revert to a 640x480 resolution so they appear grainy on my monitor.  I find myself slamming through the combat quickly so that I can watch the next part of the story and listen to the music.  If I can find the music somewhere I'd like to make some machinima with it.

At $50 I would have been disappointed.  At $15 it's a bargain.  I'm glad I got it.  I'm supposed to get some psionics soon so maybe that will add even more fun.

I'm not sure how long of a game it is...Maybe gamefly it for you.
dbdynsty25 View Drop Down
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post Options Post Options   Quote dbdynsty25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-19-2007 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by Ted_L

So, NHL 08 is supposed to rock on the 360 and 2k8 was given lower scores, but both DB and Web are playing 2k?

I'm with Web in that it just is a more varied game against the AI.

The shot and passing speed is more realistic and the hitting, when put on Simulation Mode, is toned down a lot.  That was my main issue with the game at first spin...too much checking.  But Simulation mode limits it considerably.  The puck physics, the collision detection and the AI are just better in 2k8.  08 is smoother and it controls a bit better on offense, but the defense is a little lacking too.  It also seems like the rinks are a bit too big.  Both are outstanding, I just find the little things in 2k8 that push it over the top a bit.
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-20-2007 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by webdanzer

Are you enjoying Flatout, Adam?  I've been a fan of the series for a while.  While not fantastic games, I think they are lots of fun, and deserve more attention than they seem to get.

Web, I'm a fan of the series too - still own all three games, in fact.  The handling still needs tightening a little, and I feel a game of that type might benefit from making some of the collisions a little less punishing, but I agree that they're lots of fun.  Those mini games are a wonderful way to while away an empty hour or two as well.

Flatout games tend to review well here too, and I've always been a little mystified about why they don't do better at retail - I do seem to recall, though, that one of the last-gen games actually was a commercial success in the UK but through sustained sales rather than any one strong week.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12