Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : Online Gaming
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: NHL 08 Online (PS2)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNHL 08 Online (PS2)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NHL 08 Online (PS2)
    Posted: 11-06-2007 at 10:37pm
How did I play last night? I tried to play "smart" hockey but don't know if I really did. I tried dumping the puck on offense when I had a slow line on the ice and went for the breakaways when I had a fast line on the ice (Elias & Gionta).

I have no idea if my defense played "real" hockey.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-07-2007 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by Ted_L

Are you open for Wednesday night?

What time do you want to play tonight? Should I use my headset?
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-07-2007 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by Jason

How did I play last night? I tried to play "smart" hockey but don't know if I really did. I tried dumping the puck on offense when I had a slow line on the ice and went for the breakaways when I had a fast line on the ice (Elias & Gionta).

I have no idea if my defense played "real" hockey.

You won both games right?  It looked like a hockey game to me.  If you are adjusting your tactics to which line is on the ice then you are doing  a better job strategically than I am so far.  At this point I'm trying to study your play and find some weaknesses.

I wouldn't worry about if I was playing "real" hockey.  It is a video game and as such a representation.  If there are tactics that work in the game that wouldn't in real life I would definitely still use them and vice versa that if there were tactics that were highly effective in real life, but not in the game I would avoid them.  The dump in 07 was a prime example of the latter and thankfully is a much better tactic in 08.

Edit:  I just had a look over the old tactics and tutorials I wrote on hockey and realized there wasn't anything in there about defense.  Perhaps I should write something up.

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-07-2007 at 4:29pm

At this point I'm trying to study your play and find some weaknesses.

You're going to be studying for a loooooong time Wink.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-07-2007 at 4:57pm
Do I have to use the new controls?  I would like to use my own custom controls if that is ok with you.  I just can't get past fumbling with that shot stick and want to just play.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-07-2007 at 5:47pm

Do I have to use the new controls?  I would like to use my own custom controls if that is ok with you.  I just can't get past fumbling with that shot stick and want to just play.

I was going to ask you the same thing. I was planning on using custom controls tonight too.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-07-2007 at 6:04pm
I'm fine with that.  I've tried and tried and I just don't want to learn the new tricks.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-07-2007 at 7:55pm
We're not starting our season tonight, are we? I'd like to play some more exhibition games.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-07-2007 at 8:00pm
I agree.  Two more exhibition games tonight if possible.  I'll be using Vancouver and bringing a bucket full of aggression.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-08-2007 at 10:40am
Medium speed seems perfect to me.

Are you leaning towards 10-minutes periods now? If so, we may have to limit our games to one a night or we can save the 10-minutes periods for certain games (playoffs, Devils vs Canucks). Let me know what you think.

BTW, I still haven't played an entire offline game yet. The only other time I've played, besides playing against you online, was when I played one period when I first bought the game. I'm hoping to play some offline games tonight though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>