Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : Online Gaming
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Good Game Slumberland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedGood Game Slumberland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message / View Unread Post
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good Game Slumberland
    Posted: 02-16-2006 at 2:20am
Seth,

Really enjoyed playing against you last night.  Well earned as I couldn't find my shooting power.  Which half did you feel was smoothest (lag)?

Here is our results in a friendly Lancashire hosting Pompy at 20 minutes.

Lancashire
Pompy
Score
Shots
On Goal
Penalty
Free Kicks
Corners
Fouls
Offside
Yellow
Red
49%
Possess
51%

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-16-2006 at 10:12am

It's about time you got a taste of defeat!!!

Slumberland View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-16-2006 at 10:57am
Ted, very good game!  I thought the whole thing seemed rock solid in terms of lag... though I spent much of the first half getting used to the dual shock again, as I spent nearly all of my WE8 time using the xbox controller.  The S-controller is serviceable on the xbox, but I had forgotten how great the dual shock is for this game.  Was lag something you were experiencing?

I look forward to many more games!  I've signed up for the ladder as well.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-16-2006 at 11:42am
Slight button lag in the first half and a little worse in the second.  You may have been able to tell by the more successful tackles you made in the second half. 

The other part of that is that I'm noticing that the mentality and stamina attributes are really a factor this year.  Go a couple of goals down and you'll notice your players get noticably more sloppy on the ball.  OTOH go up 2 and your men play a tighter game.  Personally I like this aspect of the game.  The other mistake I made was pausing too much in the beginning so that when I wanted to sub at the end I wasn't able to.  I'll have to remember to increase the pause number allowed before the game.

I had my opportunities, but I muffed the shot button several times.  I think if I would have connected well on a couple of my shots they would have been unstoppable. 

Really enjoyed the game and look forward to more.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-19-2006 at 10:12pm
Good games again, Seth.  I just couldn't get anything going and the few good shots I got went wide or high.

Well done sir!
Slumberland View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-20-2006 at 1:33pm
Thanks Ted... those games were really close.  I'm coming to think there is just a tiny bit more delay with button presses on the PS2 online than on Xbox, and that you have to hold down the shoot button a touch longer to get some leg behind it.  Both of us were launching some pretty weak shots.
K_Mosley View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote K_Mosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-20-2006 at 7:16pm

Well, for what it's worth coming from me, when I want to shoot low and hard, I just tap the "shoot" button, and then hold down the triangle why the animation kicks in.  I believe the manual said the triangle and x buttons also impact kick power.  Holding down the shoot button affects height only, right?

Kevin

TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-21-2006 at 1:36am
Well, that's what the manual says for free kicks and I used to think it was for all shots, but now I'm not so sure.  Every couple of games I change my stance on what effects shot power.  Right now I think it has to do with timing and the distance in front of player the ball is along with how the player winds up for the shot.

In other words I think I get hard shots just by watching the ball and timing my shot press with a wind up for a strong kick, regardless of how far the meter goes.  I know I get hard shots on just tapping the shot button, but I also get hard shots when going the length of the meter.

I just can't say for sure right now.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-21-2006 at 8:10am
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one confused on kicks. I also thought that the longer you held the button down (during gameplay) the higher the kick went - that's how the manual explains it. I'd prefer how long you hold the button down determine the power of the shot (like hockey games).
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-21-2006 at 10:46am
I think length does effect height.  If you take a full bar shot while practically standing still you will launch the ball into orbit almost all of the time.  I think shooting in this game takes more practice than dribbling to become proficient.  The training pitch is always a good place to work out kinks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>