Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: First Impressions: NCAA Football 2005 (PS2)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFirst Impressions: NCAA Football 2005 (PS2)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message / View Unread Post
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Impressions: NCAA Football 2005 (PS2)
    Posted: 01-25-2006 at 8:29pm
NCAA Football 2005 PS2After playing a handfull of games with NCAA 2005 (PS2) I realized something that surprised me: I enjoy this game more than ESPN NFL 2K5 right now. The graphics are not even in the same league as ESPN Football but the game just feels right - especially the passing game.

I've mostly been using West Virginia and I haven't seen the problem with dropped passes (CPU controlled and user controlled) playing on Varsity level and up although I did bump up my receiver's catching ability and my quarterback's accuracy 3 notches. I've also seen on average 3-4 tipped balls a game which doesn't seem high or unrealistic to me.

While I didn't play alot of NCAA 2004 I have put in alot of hours in with Madden for the past 3 years and the animations in this game seem to be much improved over last year's NCAA Football and Madden games of the past. The downside is the "jaggy" look to the graphics. This was especially noticeable when I put in NCAA right after playing ESPN NFL 2K5. On a positive note, there appears to be no issue with the slowdown problem that has plagued the XBox version.

Of the new features this year, the Matchup Stick and Home Field Advantage are nice additions but nothing spectacular and I had to turn off the "Screen Shake" feature as it gave me a headache. I would have rather seen the addition of "Playmaker" controls to this year's version. I'm more interested in strategic additions as opposed to gimmicks. I do think the new camera shift on kickoffs and punts is a nice addition - it allows the kick/punt returner to see the openings and hit the holes. 

Like last year's version, the college atmosphere is faithfully represented in the game and the tighter controls this year are one of the biggest reasons for the improved feel of the game. While I was not blown away by the game, I will admit that I was pleasantly surprised by it.

Post Reply Post Reply