Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Anyone playing Mass Effect?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAnyone playing Mass Effect?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MVP
MVP

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone playing Mass Effect?
    Posted: 12-05-2007 at 7:17pm
any impressions?
Zeppo View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Zeppo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-05-2007 at 8:04pm
Loving it.  It's the direct descendant of  KoTOR but placed in a cousin of the David Brin 'Uplift' universe, and it's pretty damn cool.  If you liked the KOTOR games you should like this.  A lot.  Me, I loved the KoTOR games, and while I sort of wish the combat was still the behind-the-scenes turn-based system, the shooter aspects aren't really bad at all.  I had been worried that the combat system was going to be a disaster, and ruin the game for me, but it hasn't come close.

Admittedly, this game is right up my alley, and I was sure I would love it (even though I had pretty much hated Jade Empire), but it hasn't disappointed and i couldn't recommend it highly enough.  The whole 'mini-Brin' Uplift universe thing about it is a surprise to me and I'm loving it.

TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-05-2007 at 9:02pm
What is David Brin Uplift?
Slumberland View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-06-2007 at 1:59pm
My copy should be here today... I'll dig in this weekend.  Loved and finished both KOTORs, so why not.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-06-2007 at 3:49pm
You better not have got my copy!  Wink
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-06-2007 at 4:07pm
Are you waiting on one?  I kept that and Assassin's Creed in my queue for like a week, alone, before they shipped them to me.  Now getting a chance to play is another matter.
Zeppo View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Zeppo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-07-2007 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by Ted_L

What is David Brin Uplift?

David Brin is a scifi author who came from a career in astrophysics.  His first novel, Sundiver, is not very well written but is a fun little murder-mystery type tale that set the foundation for what became two trilogies known as the 'Uplift novels.' 

The basic conceit of the Uplift universe is that a vast Galactic civilzation made up of many diverse species has endured over countless millenia (actually it's the 'Civilization of the Five Galaxies').  Human beings sort of accidentally make contact with said civilization in the not-too distant future, but only after having utilized genetic manipulation to 'uplift' chimpanzees and dolphins to consciousness. 

Well, wouldn't you know it, but this vast Galactic civilization is entirely based on uplift; patron species find suitable lower species on fallow planets to make their client species and uplift to consciousness.  These client species eventually uplift others once their multi-thousand years of lower-class client status has ended, and so through history have species become sapient, one after the other, creating a tangled web of loyalties and hostilities among the myriad species.

'Bootstrap' sapience is something that is generally accepted by this Galactic civilization as impossible.  Humans, having come late to the party, and insisting that they bootstrapped themselves to sapience, are generally disfavored (though not by all species).  Most aliens believe there had to have been patrons for human uplift who long ago abandoned the Earthlings or disappeared or who knows.  The facts of humans having uplifted two species on their own, pre-contact, and thus without proper permission and so on, and having no patron species to keep them in line or teach them proper ways of behaving sets humanity in an odd position of having the status of a patron species on the one hand, but also being firmly outside the Galactic mainstream on the other (not to mention, having uplifted one client species without permission would be bad enough, but having uplifted two. . . ; and then more insulting, humans don't even treat their clients as clients but rather give them full rights and treat them more as equals). 

The only species that is accepted to have bootstrapped themselves are the 'progenitors' (there is a progenitor-like species at the heart of the story in ME), and wouldn't you know it, all the faster than light technology and other space-faring goodies were created by the progenitors, who long ago in the deep mists of Galactic civilization history wandered off never to be heard from again.

The universe in ME is very much like a regurgitated version of Brin's Uplift universe.  Uplift is not as central a concept to the civilization in ME, but there are plenty of hints of it being in there. The specifics are all different (no chimps Unhappy ), but many of the basic concepts seem to be directly ripped from the pages of Brin's novels.  I don't think of that as a bad thing; more of a tribute, perhaps, to a deep well of great scifi ideas rather than a cheap rip-off.  I don't know how Brin feels about it, though.

BTW Brin also wrote The Postman, which was made by Costner into my favorite bad movie of all time (even though the movie skips out completely on the central theme of the novel . . . ), as well as the very funny and enjoyable Kiln People, and a great novel of the near-future called Earth.  Glory Season is, I think, his best novel to date, at least outside of the five latter Uplift novels.  Looking on Wiki, I am also surprised to discover he is credited with writing the story line for Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-07-2007 at 3:51pm
Hey, Postman is one of my favorite bad movies too.

Sounds like an interesting premise.  I'll see if I can track down some of those books at the local used shop.

Your post gave me an idea about a video game presentation.  Sort of like in Halo 2 where you play the Master Chief and the Avatar (i think he was called that).  What if you played two sides of a story in a Brin type universe and as the humans you looked human and the "more elevated" species look very advanced to you like the Grays you see now or elven looking, at least less mammalian, you get the idea.... but when you played the more advanced species you also appeared human and the lower species appeared like chimps or other primates or even reptilian.  So from the perspective of the story you would see the other side how that species sees them.

Better yet, what if it was presented as a two front war with humans fighting for survival against both an advanced species and a lower species.  And then halfway through the story or something you get the jolt that it is really just two species fighting and you have been playing on both sides!
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-10-2007 at 9:46am
Mass Effect is so good-looking it's a little scary. 

I think I've bitten off more than I can chew with single player games right now, though... Mario Galaxy, Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, and still playing Oblivion, of course.  Assassin's Creed is a little less intimidating than M.E., but equally gorgeous.  Might have to finish that before getting back to the space opera.
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-02-2008 at 3:49pm
This game is so good!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>