Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Anyone playing Mass Effect?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAnyone playing Mass Effect?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
MVP
MVP

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone playing Mass Effect?
    Posted: 03-02-2008 at 4:30pm
I re-rented it from gamefly.  There is something about it that keeps pulling me back.

Grambo Bastille View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grambo Bastille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-02-2008 at 5:43pm
Damn, I keep forgetting I own this.  I got so caught up in the achievement whore challenge recently, plus got sucked into Frontlines and Culdcept Saga and I put this one away (same goes for the other RPGs I own - Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey and Eternal Sonata).

Plus, Mass Effect is supposed to be getting some kickass download content soon with new alien races and new storylines.

Too many games, too little time .......
Slumberland View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-04-2008 at 9:12am
I'm limiting myself to one single-player game at a time (via Gamefly), which has helped me get back into this one after an initial aborted attempt.  One thing I'll say, it is not an easy game to figure out if you don't have the manual.  I didn't even know biotic powers were available to me until after the Citadel.  Upgrading ammo?  Cracked that nut maybe five hours in.  And you should have seen me running around the Normandy trying to find someone that would make the ship go somewhere.  The 'zoom out on the galaxy map' thing is not intuitive, to say the least.

Was stuck in a loop last night where I couldn't skip a cutscene and then would get blown to bits in combat right afterward.  Then I figured out that the shoulder buttons could essentially pause the action and launch special abilities at specific targets.  Gosh, that helped.

I do like the combat now, though.  I am a shotgun and pistol guy, so Vanguard is right up my alley.
Zeppo View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Zeppo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-04-2008 at 4:39pm
I hear you, Slumberland, and that learning curve is precisely why I always start a 2nd character when I'm about halfway through in the Bioware games.   Heck, it took me nearly a full playthrough to really grasp the differences among enemies, what they're vulnerable to, or immune to, and how to recognize them visually and especially audibly thanks to their various shouts and outbursts, or clicks and whirrs (for a long time, all enemies were just red triangles to me!).

What really opened up the combat for me was when I started to 'KoTOR it.'  By that I mean liberally using the R-bumper to pause it and figure out wtf was going on as well as target up a series of attacks for me and my team. 

Going through it a second time (and more) I was struck by how fresh a lot of the early stuff seemed to me, because it was surprising how long ago I had gone through it with the first guy.  Further, knowing what I am supposed to be doing and where I am supposed to be going helped me enjoy the combat and the immersive details a heck of a lot more than on the first run through.  For a long time with my first guy, I was just running through the side quests without caring what was going on in terms of the story, so on future playthroughs, all the connections and details could shine through, and for me those are the best parts of the game.

But the combat really does keep me coming back.  I can't tell you how many times, even with uber characters, I've come oooooh so close to dying.  And in this type of game, that's what it's all about, just barely hanging on and getting through.  And don't forget about starting fresh with a completed character, either.  Crank that difficulty up and get ready for some great shopping for that top gear.  Plus, even though your character is set the way you finished, your teammates start with nothing assigned and a butt load of talent points, so you can really tailor each one to be as functional as possible with your combat style.

PS You will start ME2 with not only your character but also many plot elements (who's dead, who's alive, who's on the council, etc), so there's another good reason to play through more than once or twice.

And let's just say it, 'lift then throw' never, ever gets old!  I haven't yet thrown anyone into orbit yet, but almost!  They get so tiny when they go flying over the hills way over there. . .
Slumberland View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-14-2008 at 10:31am
I haven't touched this since MLB came out.  Difficult to get through in fits and starts.  Need like 3 days to just sit down and get through it.  The wife-to-be is visiting her 'rents next month.  That might be my chance.
Grambo Bastille View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grambo Bastille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-14-2008 at 12:26pm
There is some added content for this on Marketplace as of this past week.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-14-2008 at 5:54pm
Hey, Seth!  Congratulations!  I didn't know you were engaged?

Best wishes to the both of you!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12