Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Your 2008 Wish List - Post them and compare
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedYour 2008 Wish List - Post them and compare

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
MVP
MVP

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your 2008 Wish List - Post them and compare
    Posted: 02-28-2008 at 10:35am
Thanks, GB.  I spent some good time with the demo last night and came away moderately pleased.  I love all the big scale vehicle stuff, all the support-type things players can do, the frontline-checkpoint system controlling the flow of battle, etc.

I didn't particularly care for the actual infanty shooting, though.  It just felt old, and not in a good-retro way.  I had some issues with lag and glitching, too.

We should see about arranging some time for the SGN guys to try the demo.

The single player stuff as you described it sounds like a waste of time, though. :(
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-28-2008 at 11:16am
Is multi-player available in the demo? I'd give it a shot.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-28-2008 at 11:21am
I'll d/l the demo
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-28-2008 at 11:22am
Is this the WW III game where the US, Europe and Russia fight each other? If so, I remember reading about it a long time ago and thought the story was interesting.
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-28-2008 at 11:47am
Yep, that's kinda the story, and yep, one of the two demos is the multiplayer one.  Let me know when you guys can play!
Grambo Bastille View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grambo Bastille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-28-2008 at 12:37pm
The premise of the game is an oil shortage in the near future (2024 I believe) where oil is only available for military use.  Russia and China form a coalition while the US and EU form one of their own.  The SP has skirmishes around former Soviet Union territories and eventually an invasion of Moscow (interesting that they reference both Napoleon and Hitler being stifled in taking Moscow and now the US is invading).  The SP doesn't totally suck, but if one were to buy this solely for SP, they would be wasting their money.

The only demo I saw on Xbox was the MP (I think there is a SP demo on PC).  The MP demo gives you 2 maps, one a fairly large one with the highest sniper location I have seen in any game) while the other is a small urban setting without vehicles.  I haven't erased my demo yet so I will keep it on my HD so I can join you and give you another body to shoot at.
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-28-2008 at 12:44pm
There was a single player demo on Live, and it was pretty bad.  So bad that I was disinclined to even bother with MP.  Glad I did, though.
Grambo Bastille View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grambo Bastille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-28-2008 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Derek

There was a single player demo on Live, and it was pretty bad.  So bad that I was disinclined to even bother with MP.  Glad I did, though.

It must have been so bad that they pulled it.  After everyone raved about the MP, I went back to d/l the SP and it wasn't there (or else I am going loopy and just missed it).

There was also a SP demo for a game called Turning Point which I thought had a good premise - it is a shooter based on the Allies losing WWII and Germany occupying the US, until the US decides to fight back.  I haven't played the demo but I heard it was horrendous.  The developer admitted it was horrible and promised major changes before the final version was released.  Well apparently it is now shipping to the stores and from what I have read, they kept their promise.  I have it on my Gamefly queue so hopefully I will be playing this one soon.
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-28-2008 at 1:32pm
You didn't miss anything, and I would not be surprised if it was pulled.

Actually, I heard the 'developers change things based on demo feedback' story for Frontlines:

Cool if that happened for Turning Point as well.  Yes, the demo was really bad for that one as well.

Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-28-2008 at 1:40pm
Yep, here is the news for Turning Point:

Wow, if developers are now actually tweaking their games based on demo feedback, that's a trend I can support! :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>