Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Your 2008 Wish List - Post them and compare
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedYour 2008 Wish List - Post them and compare

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your 2008 Wish List - Post them and compare
    Posted: 02-28-2008 at 11:55pm
I downloaded the demo tonight.
Grambo Bastille View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grambo Bastille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-29-2008 at 12:21am
I played my first "serious" matches tonight online.  If you are with the right group of people, and if you have the right amount of people to populate some of these immense maps, it is a riot to play!

I played nine matches tonight, mostly with folks from the other adult gaming group I belong to, but by the end, some random folks joined (that was how the room was set up - the host set it up for 8 friend slots and 8 whatever slots).

The first map was huge and we didn't have many players to start, but once we got the hang of it, it was great.  The vehicles are diverse - you can even command the jets, which I was not able to get the hang of.  The next map (we played three matches on each) was frustrating.  It felt like one side had the advantage over the other, but it may have been a talent issue.  During those initial six matches, I was part of a squad, so I could communicate with three teammates.  The other teammates were kind of left in the dust.

The last map was very good as well, but by then we were down to 5 v 5 and I was the odd man out for our squad, so I could not communicate with anyone.  However, once you get the feel for the map and the flow of the game, you can still participate with teamwork.

All in all a good game if you have 1) enough people and 2) the right mix of people.  It can get frustrating otherwise.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-29-2008 at 1:48am
I spent 10 minutes with the MP demo tonight and I wasn't really impressed.  I measure all of these types of games against Battlefield 2 on the PC.  This seems to be trying to be a lot like that one.  I'm up for some more on Friday night if you guys want to.

I some some lagging/warping issues with guys and I couldn't figure out why my well aimed shots weren't hitting or killing guys.  For example I snuck up on a sniper with my sniper and was right behind him at less than 10 feet through the scope.  It took 7 or 8 shots before he finally died.  All the shots were right on his head.  I have a hard enough time aiming in this game.  If there are going to be issues like that I'll be taking a quick pass.
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-29-2008 at 9:28am
No doubt, Ted; the game is definitely taking direction from the Battlefield series.  If you are a PC player with a rig capable of running that one, I'm sure this one will seem like a step down.  As far as # of players and amount/types of vehicles, though, this is the best consoles have seen so far.  Still, if the other is an option for you I can definitely see how this game would seem like Battlefield's goofy younger brother.

I also have some problems with the man to man shooting parts of the game.  Snipers are ridiculously underpowered, and the lag/framerate/choppiness definitely hinders that part of the game.  It's downright poor at times, and I think any problems with a clean/good connection will be very evident in this game.

I have the most fun with controlling/taking down vehicles, and doing all of the support stuff like piloting drones, setting up turrets, calling in air support, etc.  Definitely spend some time fooling around with those when you get on again.  Also, I love the way the moving frontline shapes the combat.

Yeah, I'd still like to play a little tonight (and should be able to talk, sorry about last night, Ted!) if we can get a few guys.

I'm very unsure if I want to actually purchase this game, as there is bad in with the good, so I plan on being on the demo a lot until they yank it from Live...
Grambo Bastille View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grambo Bastille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-29-2008 at 3:48pm
I spent a good amount of time on the game last night.

The lag issues are more prevalent in the demo than in the final version.  That being said, I have a fairly crappy connection but started a room last night.  A couple of guys had some lag issues at first, but they worked their way out.  We then got someone with FIOS to start the room and it ran sweet.

Some observations:

- Yes, it is the poor cousin for Battlefield.  I never played BF on the PC because I haven't been able to afford a PC upgrade to play some newer generation games.  I did, however, play BF2 on the 360 and loved it.  My only complaint was that you were stuck with EA's servers and could rarely coordinate matches with just people you know.

- We played nine matches last night on three different maps.  Unfortunately the first one was on a huge map and we had not many playing at first.  Once it filled up it got crazy.  The vehicles are great, and yes, you can even fly the Jet.  At one point we had both jets on this map dogfighting each other while we were on the ground with AA guns trying to take down the right one.  My favorite moment - sitting in a tank and looking up to see the enemy jet being blow apart halfway across the map.  Suddenly I noticed the wing spinning like crazy and coming right at me.  It didn't destroy my tank but it was so realistic my adrenaline was pumping.

- The second map we played was smaller and really showed how good the drones can be.  It was a map which has one team at the bottom of the hill while the other attacks from the top.  Our team's communication sucked so I didn't enjoy the map as much.

- The third map was one from the demo - oil field.  By then we were down to 5v5 and since squads were limited to four for talking, one person was left without communication, which sucked.  And yes, I was that guy.  However, I found it to be challenging and actually was able to anticipate my teammates moves and join in, so it wasn't that bad.  And OMG, that one sniping tower is badass!  It felt like it took 15 seconds just to climb the ladder!

Going to play some more tonight if the spousehammer allows me.  She has been sick all week so I have a feeling my gaming time is going to suffer this weekend ...... which is just as well as I need to bank some favors for next week when I get four new games to play (two preorders, plus two gamefly).

Oh, and I finished the single player today.  Way below average and often frustrating, but not difficult.  I will probably play through again on casual to get the "finish each mission without dying" achievements, being the achievement whore that I am.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-09-2008 at 12:26pm
My updated list:
  • UEFA 2008  - definite *** new to list ***
  • NASCAR 09 - definite *** new to list ***
  • Top Spin 3 - most likely
  • Lego Indiana Jones - definite (for my son)
  • NCAA Football 09 - definite
  • Madden 09 - depends on how good NCAA is
  • NHL 09 - definite
  • NBA Live 09 - maybe
Since I last posted in this thread, I've added MLB 2K8 (XB360), March Madness 08 (XB360) and NHL 08 (XB360) to my gaming library.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123