Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Your 2008 Wish List - Post them and compare
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedYour 2008 Wish List - Post them and compare

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Legend
Legend

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your 2008 Wish List - Post them and compare
    Posted: 02-26-2008 at 4:27am
Since we have started playing more games online it would be nice to see what games everyone is looking at and/or if a game night/league is possible for an upcoming game.

Used the 360 coming soon section at EBGames

I will start mine - all 360 games.

March
(3/03) MLB 2K8 -  Definite purchase.
(3/11) Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 - Definite purchase.

May
(5/01) Don King Presents Prize Fighter - Probable purchase depending on reviews and people interested in it here.
(5/19) Top Spin 3 - Definite purchase.
(5/19) UEFA Euro 2008 - Definite purchase.

July
(7/15) NCAA 2009 - Definite purchase.

August
(8/12) Madden 2009 - Definite purchase

The rest of 2008
Fifa 09 - Definite purchase.
Tiger Woods 09 - Definite purchase.
NHL 09 - Definite purchase - They would have to royally screw it up for me to get NHL 2K9.
APF 2K9 - Definite purchase - Assuming it gets made.
NBA 2K9 / Live 09 - Wait and see if anyone here is interested in a NBA game and which one.
March Madness 09 - Forced into purchasing thanks to 2K (boo).
Smash Court Tennis 3 - Definite purchase if it makes it over here, it shows to be available in Japan for the 360 at play-asia.
Facebreaker - Probable purchase - Depends on reviews and interest here.

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
Slumberland View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-26-2008 at 9:13am
The Show '08 is the only definite purchase I can think of... MAYBE Mario Kart depending on whether they charge for online play or not.  FIFA '09 I'll probably buy.  Other than that there will be a lot of rentals.  Sweet, sweet, rentals.
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-26-2008 at 10:36am
Doing a quick scan of that 360 list, over the course of the year I see:

MLB2k8
Condemned 2
Lego Indiana Jones
Ninja Gaiden 2
Mercenaries 2
and Gears of War 2

as buys.  (Wow, look at all the '2's!  Gotta love innovation!)

Lots of rentals for me, though, too.

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-26-2008 at 12:34pm
Here's my list: 
  • MLB 2K8 (if it doesn't suck) - definite
  • MLB 08 The Show (PS2) - depends on how good MLB 2K8 is
  • NBA Live 08 (don't have a heart attack Brent) - definite
  • Top Spin 3 - most likely
  • Lego Indiana Jones - definite
  • NCAA Football 09 - definite
  • Madden 09 - depends on how good NCAA is
  • NHL 09 - definite
  • NBA Live 09 - maybe
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-26-2008 at 12:56pm
Is that Live and NHL 08  or 09?

Like I said if the group goes with Live so will I.  Sometimes we have to me concessions (see my purchase of PGR4). A little piece of me died when they took CH2K away from me so it might be easier to go the Live/March Madness route and not have to deal with two different control schemes.

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-26-2008 at 1:13pm
Updated my list.

I'd like to get NBA Live 08. I've been playing the demo and really enjoy it. I'll keep my eye on NBA Live 09.

I'd buy NHL 08 if I can find it cheap, but will definitely buy NHL 09 for sure.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-26-2008 at 1:50pm
Rentals all the way for me.  If I find a great deal on a game I really like and will play for a long time I'll purchase it.
Grambo Bastille View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grambo Bastille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-27-2008 at 5:28pm
I haven't made my list for the whole year yet, because once GTA arrives, I will be playing little else (once my little one is in bed, that is).

I just picked up Frontlines yesterday.  I have preorders for Bully, MLB2K8, Rainbow Six Vegas 2 and GTA IV.

I will probably pick up NCAA 09, but not sure about Madden.  I will also pick up Tiger Woods if there are enough new features to warrant it.  Pro Evolution Soccer is a definite maybe.
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-27-2008 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by Grambo Bastille

...I just picked up Frontlines yesterday. 

If you get a chance, I'd love to hear impressions about that one.
Grambo Bastille View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grambo Bastille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-28-2008 at 10:04am
Originally posted by Derek

Originally posted by Grambo Bastille

...I just picked up Frontlines yesterday. 

If you get a chance, I'd love to hear impressions about that one.

Jury is still out for me.  The fun in this game rests squarely with the multiplayer, and only if you're in a good sized group of people you know.

First, the single player borders on lame.  It pales in comparison to the SP in COD4.  The missions are fairly repetitive and feel like a long, drawn-out tutorial for MP - which it's not, but it feels that way.  The AI is unrealistic.  They suddenly know where you are even though you are moving with stealth and haven't fired your gun yet.  That's not always an advantage as they typically take awhile to actually bring you down.  The teammate AI is even more ludicrous.  The always seem to pass you and run right by an enemy so that you have to take them down.  There have been a couple of moments of pleasure, but all in all, this game was built for MP.

If you are familiar with the Battlefield series of games, then you will know this one.  Most of the maps are huge and it takes coordination between squad mates for this to be a fun game.  Otherwise you are just running around nilly willy and feel isolated.  The complaint right now among the community is that you can only converse if you are in a squad of four.  Apparently the designers are trying to add a feature which will allow the squad leaders to talk to each other as well, which will make it a more enriching experience.

And the MP is huge.  Out of the box, it was supposed to accommodate 32 players at a time, but they have a few dedicated servers available which will allow a 50 player battle.  The shooter part of this game is what you would expect from a FPS.  The nice feature is that after you choose your class, you can also choose an add-on pack for assistance.  This is actually pretty neat.  For example, you choose artillery class and you start off with an assault rifle, pistol and (I think) grenade launcher.  You have different add-ons to consider but for example's sake say we choose the airstrike.  You start off with the ability to call in a precision airstrike.  As your player gets experience you can upgrade all the way to calling in a cluster bomb attack.

The vehicles are pretty good as well.  You can command helicopters, tanks and light assault vehicles.  I heard you can even take over a jet, but I haven't seen it yet.  They also incorporate use of drones as well.  The drones can be anything from a non-combative recon drone, to assault and explosive drones, both in tank and copter form.

I have only played with friends on the demo (haven't had a chance to get on with them since I got this), but the experience was great.  Playing with the general public was a frightening experience.  Following is a conversation I had with my "squad leader" on the first and only online game I have played - during the afternoon of release day when less than a hundred people were already playing:

Him: Those other idiot squads don't know what they're &*^%ing doing!  Idiots!
Me: Well, the game juse came out today.
Him: Then they should have played the demo more!
Me: Um, OK.
Him: OK Grambo, hold the position you're in!
Me: OK
<sound of gunfire - Grambo ambushed and killed>
Him: What happened?!  You're letting take our station!
Me: I got ambushed.
Him: Sheesh, what an idiot!
Me: I thought school vacation week was last week and that you would be in school.
Him (ignoring comment): Get back to your position.
Me: @#$%, Tank coming down main street.
<sound of tank firing - taking Grambo down again>
Him:  What the ^^%$?!?!  You died again.
Me: Tanks.
Him: Idiots.
Me (respawning and planting C4 on tank): Tank is down!
Him (again ignoring me): The hell with this, I'm hungry, we're going to win anyway, I'll be back.

At this point, he leaves to have lunch, the other squadmates leave and join the opposing side leaving me alone to take 12 players.  We win, but barely.  I wait for the game to end, and then I leave the lobby and go back to single player.  Within five mintes, this guy keeps sending me invitations to play.

If you like this type of game, you won't be disappointed.  You may want to try the demo first or rent the full version.  We have a group of adult gamers on another site (the one I met Jason on) and there are plans to try and fill rooms every night.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>