Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: First Impressions: ESPN Baseball 2K4 (PS2)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFirst Impressions: ESPN Baseball 2K4 (PS2)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message / View Unread Post
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Impressions: ESPN Baseball 2K4 (PS2)
    Posted: 01-25-2006 at 8:46pm
ESPN MLB 2K4I finally decided to pick up ESPN Baseball (PS2) after reading all the good comments about the game and after getting some hands-on time with it this weekend, I'm very impressed so far.

I was expecting to be disappointed with the graphics since most of the negative comments have been about them and was pleasantly surprised when I started playing. While the swing animations do look terrible, everything else looks very good in the game. Also, the atmosphere may not be as lively as MVP's, but it much better than High Heat's ever was.

The gameplay is what matters most and this is where I've been most satisfied with ESPN so far. The True Aim swinging seems to have perfectly emulated High Heat's Zone Batting. The True Aim/Zone Batting interface was the single biggest reason I picked up this game. Since playing 'Bases Loaded' on the NES and moving to the High Heat series later on, Zone Batting is the only hitting interface I like and feel it is the most realistic.

The fielding is quick and responsive, although I do miss MVP's throw meter. What's funny is that I was initially put off by MVP's fielding meter and have grown to love it. The players have nice animations and after changing the camera view to Medium, you get a good overall view of the field.

The CPU seems to play aggressively and will take extra bases if the ball is not thrown to the cutoff man on hits to the outfield. I also had two bases stolen on me and was walked twice. I'd probably be able to draw more walks if I didn't swing at everything thrown. This was with the default gameplay sliders and Pro difficulty.

As the saying goes, "so far so good". I'm looking forward to getting in some more time with ESPN Baseball and testing out the online gameplay. I'll post a full review soon after.
 Post Reply Post Reply