Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: MLB 2K8
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMLB 2K8

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MLB 2K8
    Posted: 03-07-2008 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by koebner

Originally posted by Jason

Have the stuttering/frame rates issues been resolved with The Show 08?

08 PS2 runs smooth as silk for me.The graphics are a bit better than 07,too.
08 may need even fewer slider tweaks than 07,with more foul balls and hit variety.
I haven't played the PS3 version,but I'm confident saying it's the best console baseball game I've played.It's surpassed MVP for me as my favorite.

Thanks. This makes things a little more interesting for me.

Are the batting-schemes (timing only, 4-zone, 9-zone) dependant on the skill level you're playing on?
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-07-2008 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by Jason

Are the batting-schemes (timing only, 4-zone, 9-zone) dependant on the skill level you're playing on?

I believe this is the same as in past games, yes.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-07-2008 at 3:20pm
Thanks D. I may have to think hard about buying The Show.
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-07-2008 at 3:25pm
It's a good game.  There are things I like and dislike about both games this year.  I'm hoping I can get The Show to play me a bit harder, though.  Gonna tweak some user pitcher control options and some CPU hitting sliders tonight to see what happens.
koebner View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote koebner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-07-2008 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by Derek

It's a good game.  There are things I like and dislike about both games this year.  I'm hoping I can get The Show to play me a bit harder, though.  Gonna tweak some user pitcher control options and some CPU hitting sliders tonight to see what happens.

Are you using Classic pitching or Meter?
The Classic pitching is much more of a challenge;I'm definitely no good with it.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-07-2008 at 5:33pm
Kev, I'm not even thinking of suggesting we do a league with last years game.  That would be quite selfish I think?  Since it is gamefly'd I will be holding on to 2k8 for awhile and hope that a patch fixes the framerate.  I can always get my presentation fix and play 2k7 single player.

Derek, I actually see the CPU swinging at pitches outside the strike zone all the time in 2k7.  The problem is that they get too many base hits on those kind of pitches, let alone whiff.  I think I average about 4 strike outs per 9 innings.

I played a little more 2k8 this morning.  Still grind my teeth when I see that framerate, but I went back to the new pitching stick on pro and I've got the hang of it.  Rarely a meatball now.  Still think it's a gimmick and not something revolutionary though.

Yes, I still have my PS2 and will probably gamefly The Show.

Also to anyone, do you think the hit variety is less in 2k8 than in 2k7?  I'm sure I've seen less variety in my 4 games so far.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-07-2008 at 8:36pm
For what it is worth someone took some 2K7 vs 2K8 screens and it is definately a downgrade.. Not that those of us who have played both already knew that. Which makes all the framerate issues even more laughable.

2k7

2k8

2k7

2k8

2k7

2k8

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
K_Mosley View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote K_Mosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-07-2008 at 10:36pm
That's really the big mystery, isn't it?  How can seemingly worse graphics cause frame rate issues?  Is it the new "cards" feature and the tracking that goes on in the profile?  I just don't get 2K Sports sometimes...

Kevin
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-07-2008 at 11:55pm
Derek and I attempted to play online.  The lag was so bad that it was unplayable.  We played one inning to give each other a chance to pitch and bat.  In my at bats I was having to swing before the pitcher released the ball in order to make contact.  You could even see the lag when moving the cursor around to aim your pitch.

Our connections were excellent and we had a super smooth game of hockey afterwards.

Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-08-2008 at 2:24am
Derek and I also attempted to play online.  We also went one whole inning. Copy/Paste what was written above, with just a little less lag in our attempt.

Also their inability to allow for use of different batting and pitching options will probably be kicking me out of the league. How they do not allow for this in non-ranked games is beyond me?

* There is a mode that switches to classic everything but it forces both users to play that way.

The grand shame is we are paying $59.99 for the abuse.

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>