Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: MLB 2K8
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMLB 2K8

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
All-Star
All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Grambo Bastille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MLB 2K8
    Posted: 03-03-2008 at 7:18pm
Figured I would start an alternate thread to talk about the game in anticipation of its release.

I have not been a big fan of console baseball games.  I had fun with the Bigs, but it was very arcade.  I also LOVE sim "spreadsheet" type games, going back to the old SI games and strat-o-matic, up to Baseball for Windows (mid nineties) and the OOTP series, and most recently the latest in the Baseball Mogul series.  Being a lover of baseball history, I love recreating past seasons and then advancing them with true to life rookies through the ages.

That being said, two things excite me about this new 360 release.  First, the inclusion of minor league teams is neat.  One of the things that kept me sane over the past few years of business travel was the ability to be in minor league cities and see some AAA games.  Sure beats getting drunk by myself at the local bar (which I did after the game anyway).  The second thing I just noticed is the baseball card system, and it looks like half of the cards you can earn due to achievements are all-time greats.

For an old fart like me, that holds a ton of interest.  Plus the fact that the Sox are defending champs and I can't wait to form a rivalry with Jason.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-03-2008 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by Grambo Bastille

Plus the fact that the Sox are defending champs and I can't wait to form a rivalry with Jason.

You better be ready - I need some virtual revenge for 1994 Wink.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-04-2008 at 9:02am
Stupid question but what the heck.  Is today the day the stores get the game or is it tomorrow?

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-04-2008 at 9:07am
Target, Best Buy and Circuit City were advertising that it'll be in this afternoon.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-04-2008 at 9:25am
Excellent... I will be picking it up today and probably Bully because I am weak.

Even though Hil @ IGN is mad at the game and for not getting to put his review out.

"2K changed their mind, told us the review is embargoed for Tuesday. We can't do anything about it until the game is in stores. So it will go up tomorrow. MLB '08 was already reviewed by the PS team. And it is the better game BTW. I've played a few games of each and Sony's game has 2K's beat."

No demo, blocked reviews.  It's like the student (2K) has one upped the master (EA). Tongue

Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-04-2008 at 10:10am
From folks who have played it already, I'm seeing a lot of 'too many meatballs' comments. :(

If I can resist, I may actually not buy the game today and wait for some more word.  I can't play a 'strike or meatball' pitching game.
Slumberland View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-04-2008 at 10:21am
Sounds like it might be webdanzer's worst nightmare?
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-04-2008 at 11:59am
Give it some time. You know how people love to post impressions after playing one game and in most cases not even that. 

K_Mosley View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote K_Mosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-04-2008 at 12:03pm
Like Hilary from IGN?  He's played "a few games" of each, and has already reviewed both and declared The Show the winner.  Interesting...  How many games?  Did he sim season to check on FA signings, player development, stats, injuries, etc.  I could go on...  I guess I'll read it after the embargo to see for myself.

Kevin
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-04-2008 at 12:05pm
That is why I never use reviews (user or website) to determine my purchases. Embarrassed 

One mans trash...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>