Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: MLB 06: The Show?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMLB 06: The Show?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
Message / View Unread Post
BBatts View Drop Down
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote BBatts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MLB 06: The Show?
    Posted: 03-03-2006 at 6:10pm

Originally posted by Ted_L

Welcome to the forum,  BBatts.

What do you think of the hitting model compared to EA?  And is the pitching harder or easier to throw strikes than EA?

Thanks for the impressions.

Thanks for the welcome. The hitting in the MLB game is actually easier then last years game, but I still think EA's has the better model. As for the piching, I'm still not sure how to be effective in the MLB 06 game. I've thrown a few behind the cather, and my control isn't what I would like it to be. EA's piching is better and easier. The big difference between the 2 games is the grahics. MLB 06 has the edge over EA in this category. For some reason, you can't slide in the MLB 06 game, not sure why. Overall edge to the gameplay goes to EA. Bottom line, EA still has the better the game, but it's not by an overwhelming advantage...

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-03-2006 at 8:11pm

I want to like Sony's MLB series but there are too many things that bother me. I hate that the baserunning is either completely automatic or manual. The fielding controls feel sluggish compared to MVP's and I hate having my batting scheme (zone, timing only, etc.) tied directly to the game difficulty (eg. Rookie, Pro or All-Star). If I want to play on rookie mode with zone batting, I should be able to. Finally, almost every fly ball look like to bounces off of home plate first.

You're right about the graphics though, MLB has excellent graphics and animations. The presentation is top-notch too.

BTW, welcome to the forum BBATS.

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-04-2006 at 2:19pm

I actually played a 9-inning game of MLB 2006 (not 06: The Show) and had a pretty good time. I played on Veteran so that I could use zone hitting and won a close game against the Orioles 6-5 (I used the Yankees).

I forgot how much I liked the pitching and saw a good variety of hits at the plate. I still feel a little disconnected from the fielders when set to 'Assist', but find the game is too frustrating on 'Manual'. Also, I need more practice with the baserunning controls (I used manual baserunning).

I still felt that most of the fly balls look liked they bounced off of home plate first, but I was able to look past that after a few innings. Overall, I enjoyed the game more than I expected and may have to play this one a little bit more. At the very least, it's a nice change of pace from MVP 06.

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-05-2006 at 7:31am
I played another game of MLB 2006 last night and enjoyed it quite a bit again. For those that have 'MLB 06: The Show', how is the fielding compared to last year's game? With assisted fielding, it never feels like you're in complete control of the player and as good as the animations are, they seem to take away some of the player control. Are any of these issues addressed in 06?
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-06-2006 at 10:16am

I barely played last year's version, Jason, because I simply could not lose as the Yankees.  I got rid of that sucker quick.

Anyway, IIRC, in the new version you do feel like you have (a little) more control than in the old, but still not nearly as much as you do in MVP.

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-06-2006 at 11:44am
Thanks for the info Web. I'm actually enjoying 2006 and almost feel like I got a new game for free. I had the same thing happen with ESPN Baseball 2K4 - I owned it for a while before I really started playing and enjoying it.
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-06-2006 at 11:53am
Let me know if you end up picking up the new version, as I'd love to play some games online.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-06-2006 at 12:00pm

Originally posted by webdanzer

Let me know if you end up picking up the new version, as I'd love to play some games online.

Absolutely. Hopefully it has some legs as I'll probably be looking for another pro game once the season starts.

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-07-2006 at 11:22am

Web,

Do you see a big improvement in 'The Show' over last year's game? Also, are you having any problems with lockups or bugs in the game?

Edit: How's the online play? Any lag?

Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-07-2006 at 12:11pm

I see a big improvement mainly because the cpu can score this year.

Seriously, I dumped last year's offering very quickly because the AI was absolutely no contest.  It is this year, at least so far.

I have had no lockups, though I have seen that odd play where outfielders don't even try to field a short hop ball.  I'm not sure what is up with that, but since I've altered my approach (Hang back more on those) I haven't seen it again.

I have yet to play it online, though I did pop on to download the current roster set, which was nice!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>