Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : Online Gaming
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: The SGN Nascar 09 Racing League Thread
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedThe SGN Nascar 09 Racing League Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 22>
Author
MVP
MVP

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The SGN Nascar 09 Racing League Thread
    Posted: 08-06-2008 at 7:08pm
I was thinking about this a little more.  We have 36 races.  What if we "threw out" each driver's four poorest performances, basically 10%?  That way it would allow everyone to miss a few or get rid of those glitch races that have been plaguing some of us and bound to hit us again.

I would just go through automatically and eliminate the four worst races or missed races from each driver.

So for example, Kevin has missed two races.  Those would definitely be two of the four of his eliminated scores.

Derek got shunted to 14th once and couldn't connect another time.  These could be used as two of his four.

I think four is a good number that allows us to miss some stuff or get rid of those odd happenings.

Let me know what you think?
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-06-2008 at 7:17pm
I think we should bump the number up a little (5 or 6) to help out the guys that have already missed two races.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-06-2008 at 7:53pm
Simple votes then

Vote yes/no on whether to throw out a certain number of low/no scoring races for each driver.

If vote yes then vote on number to throw out 4 or 6?

Simple majority wins.

I vote yes and 4
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-06-2008 at 8:17pm
I votes yes and 6 (actually, I think 5 is a good compromise).

Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-07-2008 at 9:12am
Although I'm on the short end of this, I vote no.  I think something like this should be set before a season begins, and I think it also eliminates some of the drama in a scoreboard chase, as no one will really be able to see who is winning without math. ;)

I also agree with Ted that it does penalize drivers who have made it most/all of the weeks, and especially GOOD drivers who have made it most of the time.
Fazeo View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fazeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-07-2008 at 3:22pm
I really don't know how to vote, I actually see both sides of this issue and I actually think everybody makes some good points, especially Derek. I don't think people who actually show up for every race should be penalized but I also don't think people should be enslaved by a league so if they miss a few races or have glitches they should have some sort of recourse.

I guess I will vote with Ted and say yes and I think 4 is a good number. Any higher than four races and then it almost makes showing up seem useless. I totally understand if people can't make every race but at a certain point you need to limit the amount of races they can miss with no penalty at all or then it makes showing up every week not even worth it. I think 4 is a fair number.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-07-2008 at 5:46pm
If Kevin and Grambo vote yes we'll use this new rule.  If it ends up being a tie we'll keep it the old way.

Edit:  I'm changing my vote.  Honestly I voted yes because I figured everyone would be for this and I would be the lone hold out.  So I wanted to get my vote in for 4.

I vote no.   It's a dick move, I know, but there it is.  It's what my conscience says to do.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-07-2008 at 7:19pm
I just wanted to keep it interesting for the guys that have missed some races. I'm fine with any decision.
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-07-2008 at 7:44pm
Yeah, and I really appreciate that, Jason! :) Thanks!!! I enjoy racing for the win whenever I show up, though, so it'll still be fun for me even if I don't have much of a realistic shot at the title.
Grambo Bastille View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grambo Bastille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-08-2008 at 9:22am
To be honest, I don't care, but I would like to vote to maybe include SOME AI cars on the longer tracks.  I don't mind losing, but frankly, for those of us who are not gearheads and have time to fool around with different setups, racing around those big tracks with only four people got quite boring the other night.  Hope I don't sound like a sore loser because truth is, I know I will probably lose every race no matter what, but the car setups really throw the competition out of whack - it becomes less of a test of how good a racer you are and more a test as to who can tweak their car the best.

If not extra AI, then maybe we can all go with the same car setup?  Since it was an issue earlier in the season because some thought the Performance Points would throw things out of whack, I would feel that this falls under the same category.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 22>