Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : Online Gaming
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: The SGN Nascar 09 Racing League Thread
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedThe SGN Nascar 09 Racing League Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 22>
Author
MVP
MVP

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote K_Mosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The SGN Nascar 09 Racing League Thread
    Posted: 08-08-2008 at 11:11am
For the record, I would've voted no.  The racing season is part skill, part attrition.  Honestly, though, I don't get too worked up about whatever you guys want to do.  Smile
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-08-2008 at 11:51am
Originally posted by Grambo Bastille

the car setups really throw the competition out of whack - it becomes less of a test of how good a racer you are and more a test as to who can tweak their car the best.

If not extra AI, then maybe we can all go with the same car setup?  Since it was an issue earlier in the season because some thought the Performance Points would throw things out of whack, I would feel that this falls under the same category.

More of an issue on an oval too, because if your car isn't particularly good you can't do a thing about it.  On a road course you can force a car to do things it isn't keen on doing, as long as you can live with the slipping, sliding consequences of that, and drag a quick time from it.  On an oval you go as fast as the car can comfortably go, because any faster and the only question is which end will hit the wall first - there's much less that driving talent can do to make a difference.
Fazeo View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fazeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-08-2008 at 4:16pm
Yeah whatever you guys want is good to me. :)

I will admit this week's race was boring, I can't lie, there was like 2 minutes of tension and passing and a hour of boredom. The AI is a tricky issue, because sometimes they cause too much trouble than they are worth but they also bring some suspense and spontaneity to the race. This week's race we knew who would finish in what place after the first lap. LOL

Then again I think the wear multiplier was off by accident and that probably made matters worse so I think this week's race was hopefully an anomaly.

I do agree with Bastille that non-gear heads are at a disadvantage, I don't know a lug nut from a Brazil nut, I only started tinkering with setups recently and I think I do more damage than good. I know it is part of the NASCAR experience though. I do think we over worried about the performance points deal early on though, it is pretty obvious that the car setups are the primary determiner of who is going to win, at least on the bigger oval tracks.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-08-2008 at 7:37pm
We had discussed using AI on the larger tracks if it got lonely out there. I wouldn't mind using AI on any track longer than 1.5 miles.

I'm fine either way with the total points for the season. I think everyone will still show up and try to win every race that they're in no matter what.

I don't work on my car setups at all, but see that there's definite advantage to doing it, but we did all agree to allow setups at the start of the season. Besides Ted, does anyone else work on their car setups?
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-08-2008 at 8:31pm
Derek does.  And there is nothing to keep anyone from sharing setups, especially between teammates (hint).  I've started posting my setups publicly after the race.  Like the one I did for Daytona is available and we will be going to Daytona again.  I haven't had a custom setup for every race.  Some weeks I don't have time.  Texas was one I figure out after about 100 laps of practice.  The bigger the oval the easier it is to setup.

I think Fazeo has tweaked a little as well.  Also, I don't do it, but if you find a setup on the internet there is no rule against that either.  Finally, setups are great to use and definitely help, but if you can't run a lap clean with the veteran setup, no setup in the world is going to help you win a race. 
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-08-2008 at 9:16pm

Based on the IndyCar Series setups he shared with me when I was pimping that game to any and all who would listen at Calvert Games, Ted's setups are going to be both stable and consistent.

Quick one, Ted - how do you set your cars up in NASCAR?  If I remember right, the ICS setups of yours that I used were a bit tighter than the default setups, but the NASCAR veteran setup is fairly loose at speed; I was wondering if your past oval setup philosophies translate over into this game.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-08-2008 at 10:12pm
I actually run a bit looser in Nascar than I am comfortable with when I first start tweaking the setup and I usually loosen up the car right away from veteran.  This is for two reasons.  The first one is the wheel and pedals give me a much greater touch on the controls so I can counter the start of a tail slide almost immediately.  The second reason is that the car gets tighter as the gas comes out of the tank so I can push the car a little harder in the back half of the set.  It would be interesting to play Indycar again and see if I tweaked the setups the same way.

I appreciate the stable and consistent comment, boss.  The truth is I'm older and slower since that great game Indycar Series came out and I don't have the lightning reflexes to handle a rampaging beast like a Sprint Cup car that isn't stable and predictable.  I've sort of refined my tweaking now to get the fastest lap I can with tires screaming and burning and right on the edge of out of control around the track.  Then I back it off and adjust so the car is from .5 to 1 second slower, but I feel like I'm always ahead of the car and know what it will do.  The car is usually a little loose and touchy for the first 3 or 4 laps of our typical 12 to 15 lap sets.  Sometimes that gives me the fastest car on the track.  Other times I know that I'm not as fast as Derek, Jason, or Fazeo, but I try and drive smart and make the right pit choices and hope to finish high.  Texas was a perfect example of this.  My best lap at Texas was 31.9 and I was averaging 32.6.  But the day before I had a car that could do 31.5.  I couldn't keep it in the groove though and on race day we're racing and not hot lapping.  I have to be able to drive and maneuver in different parts of the track.  At Texas I could run 32.6 in the groove or around the outside of the groove.  It was a good car.

Also, my approach in the races is different than it used to be too and part of it is the nice 20% length.  For example at Texas I discovered that I was faster than everyone within 2 laps.  Jason could put in just as fast a lap, but couldn't do it consistently.  I ran 32.6's until I had a 1/2 lap lead and then backed off.  As we neared the end of the race after a couple of yellows and the pit was done I gained some more and with more than 5 laps to go I was in the lead, Jason in second, Fazeo in third and down 1 lap and Grambo in 4th and down 6 laps.

Jason was right in front of me and I easily had the speed to pass.  As little as a few races ago I would have lapped him in a heartbeat just to put it in his face a little.  I don't know if he was aware that he might go a lap down and I didn't say anything either.  I backed off again and was happy to finish first and without incident.  The final 5 laps were all 34's and 35's.  I didn't care.  Simpson Motorsports and I both wanted the 195 points.  We worked on our car and come race day we were ready and delivered.  And I think I'll just keep racing with that attitude.  It's a long season.  1st is great, but 2nd or 3rd is better than a spin in the final 3 laps and getting 6th.  If I have a chance to win I'm going to go for it and drive hard, but I'd also like to think I race smart.

JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-09-2008 at 6:58am
Originally posted by TedSGN

Jason was right in front of me and I easily had the speed to pass.  As little as a few races ago I would have lapped him in a heartbeat just to put it in his face a little.  I don't know if he was aware that he might go a lap down and I didn't say anything either.

I was very aware and was going to comment on how I would put you into a wall if you tried to lap me WinkLOL.

Just as you said, I figured you'd take it safe and win without having to pass me and risk an incident.
Derek View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-09-2008 at 8:31am
I've actually backed away from the advanced setups for the last few races (counting Texas, because I tuned there even though I didn't race) and have been using the basic sliders.  I'm not that great a tuner, and I found I could get close to what I was getting using advanced tuning by using basic tuning.  Not quite as good, but a lot less 'work', so it is a good tradeoff for me.

As long as we're keeping pps, we should keep setups.  They are both ways to get more out of your car, and I've found that they both help.  (me, at least!)

I wouldn't mind AI traffic on some tracks.  I'd actually like to try them at a harder level (than easy) to see if that helps them drive a little smarter.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-09-2008 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by JasonSGN

I was very aware and was going to comment on how I would put you into a wall if you tried to lap me WinkLOL.

Believe me I know you would!LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 22>