Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : Online Gaming
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Reminder Wednesday 8/13 is racing at Phoenix
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedReminder Wednesday 8/13 is racing at Phoenix

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
All-Star
All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Grambo Bastille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reminder Wednesday 8/13 is racing at Phoenix
    Posted: 08-13-2008 at 5:31pm
Edit - When I saw the car in front of me hitting the wall MORE than me, it was ME who still fell far behind.  I suck, but I don't suck that bad.  I won't race unless there is some kind of equalizer.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-13-2008 at 5:37pm
For the record I was one of the drivers who reset their performance points to zero.

I don't think I was being defensive.  I asked a question.  If you don't want to spend ANY time working on a setup that's your decision.  I don't spend "30 freaking hours setting up my car" and I don't have 30 hours if I wanted to.  Last week I ran about 100 laps at Texas and was ready.  This week I ran about 100 at Phoenix and I'm ready.

Is SGN about casual gaming?  Yeah, for the most part.  But what SGN also hasn't done in the past is constantly consider changing the rules once a league starts.  Personally, I'm getting sick of let's have AI, no let's get rid of AI, no let's bring back the AI.  Then it was no performance points, ok their fine now that the game is patched.  Now it's setups.  Where does it end?

Shall we go with no setups tonight?  Everyone on veteran?  What will you say if you come in last again?  From now on no practice before race night?  Again, where does it end?
Grambo Bastille View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grambo Bastille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-13-2008 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by TedSGN

For the record I was one of the drivers who reset their performance points to zero.

OK, cool, but why does setting up the car make for a fair league?
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-13-2008 at 5:47pm
Who said anything about fair?  You have a fair chance of winning if you put time in.  To make an analogy, Brent won the SGN NCAA 08 league and I'm pretty damn sure he put in more hours with NCAA than either Jason or I.  I beat Jason in 06 for the same title.  I put in way more hours that season than he did because I was retired for 6 months.  Was that fair?  
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grambo Bastille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-13-2008 at 6:01pm
There is a difference between putting time in, and setting something up to your advantage!  In the NCAA dynasty, we all start with "equal" teams.  You put time in nascar and you have a 4 second per lap advantage, and take away AI cars because you tire of the yellow flags.  Yeah, it's a lot of fun kicking the crap out of the competition.  In NCAA I would love to take a 90+ team against your 70+ team but you know what, it isn't fair!  Then you bitch because someone wants to have an alternate plan to support those who can't make it every week.  Sorry, I love to play, I want to win, but don't expect it.  But when I play against those who HAVE to win no matter who it pisses off, then I don't want to play.

In my youth, I was a championship racquetball player.  Yeah, I loved to win the tournaments against those who were the same level as me, but when I played those below me, I treated it as a learning experience for them, and a growth experience for me.  The ONLY way this league would be fair is if everyone was on an even level, setup wise, and then let's see who is the real good racer.
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-13-2008 at 6:57pm
Grambo,

Having competed against Ted, one way or another, for 5 years and more now, the last thing I've ever saw him to be is a man who wants to win at all costs.

Did someone gear your car to run 135 down the straights and make all the wheels point in different directions?  If they did, you've got a case.  If they didn't, and your car was something like the default Veteran setup (I assume you weren't running the default Rookie setup, since that has no merit and if you were 7 laps down in that Rick Hendrick wants a word with you), then someone operating near the full potential of the car should be no more than a lap down with a trouble-free run, and on a good day should be hanging onto the lead lap.  Default Veteran cars are, almost without exception, good enough to win races against the hardest AI offline.

In other words, if you're 7 laps down, there's no way on Earth setups are making that difference, and you already are seeing who the real good racers are.

Ted's 100 laps of setup time must equate to, what, just over an hour?  It's not an amount of time most would consider unmanageable, nor is it a show of slavish dedication on Ted's part.

Edit: Might I ask a question?  Let's assume for a second that the last race was to be run again, with equalisers, a completely level playing field.  What kind of a difference would you expect to see?  No agenda, no hidden motives, just genuine curiosity prompts me to ask.
Edit the second: Just read Ted's post below mine.  If you have managed to accidentally race the Rookie car, not only does that explain everything but it's a fine race you've driven (though it'd be obvious if it was the Rookie car - it'd have been pushing like a school bus, chewing tyres as it went).  If you did load Veteran, then sorry, but Ted's right.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-13-2008 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by Grambo Bastille

The ONLY way this league would be fair is if everyone was on an even level, setup wise, and then let's see who is the real good racer.

Let me be absolutely clear on this.  This is not going to happen.

Grambo, if we knew each other a little longer I think you would realize I am in no way a cut throat competitor.  I've learned from my friend, Brent, that sometimes we don't come across well on the forums.  If you have the idea that I'm in this to win at all costs you are very mistaken.

I misspoke when I implied the league wasn't fair.  It is completely fair.  It was fair the moment we all opened the Nascar package.  As long as you have access to  information about cars (internet) you have the same access to the information that I have used to setup my races.  I'm not exploiting any glitches or bugs.  Because I choose to spend some of my time learning about what camber and caster do instead of fishing for crab I probably have an advantage over you.  That doesn't mean it isn't fair.  And I'm not suggesting for you to not play other games.  You do what is fun for you.  Do you think I run offline and tweak because I have to win?  I do it because it is fun and relaxing to turn laps.  Makes me a weirdo I know.

I don't have a 4 second per lap advantage.  Most of the time my car is 1 second better than what I can run on veteran AND more stable and able to run multiple grooves. 

I did not ask to take the AI away as you stated.  I believe that was asked for by Fazeo and Jason and I was willing to go along for a 3 race test.  Since we experienced a better race without the AI we decided to keep it that way.

I did not "bitch" when Jason asked for an alternate scoring system using an average instead of total points.  I stated I was against it and why and other members also said they were not for it.

What seems to be the straw that broke the camel's back is your finish at Texas, 6 laps off the lead.  I had a tweaked setup.  I think Fazeo had a tweaked setup.  I think Jason ran on Veteran.  I'm assuming you ran on veteran.  How does Jason finish on the lead lap with a stock setup.  How does Fazeo finish a lap down with a tweaked one?  How do you and Jason finish 6 laps apart with the same setup?  Is there any chance, any chance at all, that since we had to restart the race you may have just been on the rookie setup?

Just to reiterate, we took away performance points the first time because there was an exploit (the superspeedway engine bug).  We took away AI because we were constantly running under yellow which isn't racing and was very dull and the AI were causing problems on restarts and when they go to pit (they stay out in traffic and slow to 55 while still on the track and turn into the pits late).  We are not taking away custom setups because they are not an exploit and are not causing the races to be uncompetitive, despite what you say.

I would hate to see anyone leave the league.  The more the merrier I say.  However, if you want to take your car and go home because you aren't having fun it is your prerogative.  If you are doing it to make a statement about fairness it won't change anything.  Jason has given me responsibilities to run the leagues as I see fit.  If he wants to change that it is his right.  It's his site.  Barring that I'm sticking fast on this.
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-13-2008 at 7:15pm
First things first - no more analogies of me losing to ANYONE in championship games from now on WinkLOL.

I think you both have valid points and was hoping we could resolve this smoothly. I think one of the reasons we've gone back and forth on the rule changes is because racing with 6 guys and up to 8 CPU cars on a different track each week involves many more variables than most one-on-one games and we all agreed on experimenting a bit.

Originally, we had discussed using CPU cars on the larger tracks and eliminating them on the smaller ones. I think there's enough "traffic" on the smaller tracks with just us, but I did think the Texas track was a bit "empty" last week too - it didn't help that there were only four us too (and I messed up the wear factor).

I personally don't care about the final points. I look at each race individually and try to win the race I'm in that week. I only recommended the average points because I didn't want guys that missed a few races to lose interest and drop out of the league. I realize that we're all adults and there are more important things in life and don't want to fault anyone for missing a race - sh*t happens.

I'm glad that the Performance Points have been negated online and felt bad that some of you deleted your profiles to reset them to zero (although you would have probably lost them with the "profile freeze" glitch anyway Wink). I had no desire to earn PP's offline, but wanted to remain competitive on the track.

Finally, we get to the setups and I'm not sure what to say. I had originally voted against setups and then changed my mind. I'm one of the guys that has NOT tweaked my car before any race but felt competitive using the default Legend setup. I can certainly understand that many of us don't have the time, patience or know-how to tweak their car (especially me), but on the other hand, should someone be penalized because they do?

I'm in this to have fun and hope we can all agree on something without anyone feeling like they got cheated. I'm not taking sides but just wanted to air my opinion.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-13-2008 at 7:20pm
That's another point I forgot to mention.  Grambo, your car will be faster if you turn off all the assists.  Derek's experience before and after doing so was like night and day.  To have the fastest possible car you should be running pro style, legend difficulty (no assists), and veteran or tweaked setup.
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grambo Bastille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-13-2008 at 7:53pm
All I know is, the rules changed several races in.  At first, we had AI.  Certain people didn't like it, and it was suddenly eliminated.  This league, I'm afraid to say, hasn't been on the up and up.  I have heard other things while racing which made me feel this way.  I like SGN, and so far most of it has been fair, but this league is definitely out of whack.  I'm sorry if you disagree, but I have played many racers over the years to see what is fair, and what is not fair, and from what I have seen and heard, I do not like the inequity.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>