Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : Online Gaming
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Final Word on the NASCAR League
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFinal Word on the NASCAR League

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Final Word on the NASCAR League
    Posted: 08-14-2008 at 7:20am
Guys,

Here's my final say on all the topics discussed in NASCAR thread:

Last week's race at Texas is a bad example to use because I f**ked up by not setting the wear factor to 4x. I'm one of the guys that counts on pit strategy to stay competitive with the faster and better drivers. Ted did have an advantage (not a unfair advantage) last week because pit strategy was negated in that race (again, that was my fault) and he was able to grab a big lead and keep it.

I think we should use AI on any track larger than 1.5 miles and would be willing to try the AI at normal (which others have suggested) to see if they race any smarter. We could always try using between 2-4 CPU cars per race.

As far as setups go, I say that the tweakers have an advantage but NOT an unfair advantage and that will be negated even more if we use CPU drivers on the larger tracks. I haven't tweaked at all and feel that I can still be competitive (not necessarily win) in every race. Ted has also stated that his setups would be available to everyone after the first race at each track and I that can level the playing field in the second half of the season.

Grambo, I hope you reconsider your decision and stay in the league - I don't think anyone wants you to quit. Also, last night's race ended in a disconnect so you didn't miss anything. I think it's been great that we've been able to consistently get 4 - 6 guys each Wednesday to race and hope we can continue to do so. I'd like to figure something out so everyone enjoys themselves in this league.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-14-2008 at 9:56am
Originally posted by JasonSGN

Guys,
 Ted has also stated that his setups would be available to everyone after the first race at each track and I that can level the playing field in the second half of the season.

Thanks for reminding me of that, Jason.  I'll check to make sure my locker is public.
K_Mosley View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote K_Mosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-14-2008 at 11:02am

For what it's worth, I'm not sure where Grambo was coming from, but I respect his right to voice his opinion.  I'm glad that folks like Ted put in the legwork to get these leagues up and running.  They're always a work in progress.

I like to play.  I like to win.  Mostly, I like to compete with friends and have fun.  The leagues we've had here have been perfect for me. 

I don't really care what you guys decide.  I'll show up most of the time, drive like an idiot (I really do try, although it may not look like it, LOL), laugh at the crazy stuff that happens, and live to play another day.

Thanks for the work, guys, I appreciate it.

Kevin
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-14-2008 at 11:37am
Originally posted by K_Mosley

For what it's worth, I'm not sure where Grambo was coming from, but I respect his right to voice his opinion. 

I do too and I want him to not only stay in the league, but enjoy it too. The racing league is new for all of us and we've all been trying to come up with rules that everyone can agree on AND enjoy. I'm willing to compromise on anything and just want to race and have fun.
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-14-2008 at 2:00pm
Agreed, Kevin.  Grambo, while I'm here I wanted to mention that I, with no reason for posting here other than my name on one of the teams and enough virtual racing experience for me to feel I might be useful eventually, probably had no place offering my opinion on the whole setup thing; I did so going in to bat for Ted, but after 5 years I should remember that Ted bats for himself plenty well enough.

That my take differs from yours (though I do normally race in fixed setup leagues - not because tweaked setups are unfair, but because I'm lazy) doesn't mean I don't respect your opinion, and I hope I didn't come across as seeming to think otherwise.

*Should, because not every setup change makes a car quicker.  The scariest game I ever played was the car setup challenge on IndyCar Series - I'd created a monster, and I screamed like a girl the entire lap.
Grambo Bastille View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grambo Bastille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-14-2008 at 6:55pm
I hold no ill toward anyone.  I logged on today (at Jason's request) ready to make nice, until I saw Ted's oligarcical (is that a word?) post.  I was in a bad mood yesterday when I started my rant, but his post today returned me to that bad mood.

So, my position is this ..... I will continue to race in events that are 1.5 miles or greater, as long as there are AI.  I will continue on SGN because I like this place, and you guys are great (in fact, I played my NCAA dynasty match this morning).  But if anyone has any problem with me, they are welcome to A) petition my removal, B) ignore me and/or C) kiss my big French ass.  I am 48 years old and at a point in my life where I won't take sh*t from anyone.

By the way, what is up with all this "I'm passing you on the left" bullsh*t?  I thought the idea of racing was to prevent the competition from passing you.  Why should I pull over and let someone pass because they are faster than me?
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-14-2008 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by Grambo Bastille

By the way, what is up with all this "I'm passing you on the left" bullsh*t?

That communication is pretty standard stuff in racing leagues that I've been in since the original xbox days, pretty much since headset communication has been possible.  The idea behind it is to keep both cars out of trouble.

I thought the idea of racing was to prevent the competition from passing you.

The idea of racing is to finish the race in the best possible finish position.

Originally posted by grambo bastille

Why should I pull over and let someone pass because they are faster than me?

If you are racing for position you shouldn't.  If you are lapped traffic it is common even among professional race drivers to let lead lap cars through.

Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-14-2008 at 7:33pm
Look at me, posting in a Nascar thread, I have a strange sensation to call my cousin. Embarrassed

I do not know any of the details (outside of a lot of left turns being involved), nor do I care (due to a lot of left turns being involved).  That said GB, you have been a great addition to this forum, I doubt anyone here would say otherwise. 

Life is short, you and Ted shake virtual hands, agree to disagree and we will pretend this all never existed.

Group Hug...   Hug

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-14-2008 at 7:38pm
I never though I'd see Brent be the 'voice of reason' on an internet forum Wink, but I agree with him completely.
GB_Simo View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote GB_Simo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-15-2008 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by TedSGN

Why should I pull over and let someone pass because they are faster than me?

If you are racing for position you shouldn't.

Unless the car behind is much, much faster, in which case he's going to pass you at some point (unless it's, I dunno, Monaco or somewhere like that) and you'll lose much, much more time defending to the death than you would conceding the position when the following driver moves to pass.  Not quite pulling over and letting him past, but if he's a lot quicker then you'll lose less time (therefore finishing higher, which is the point of the exercise) if you don't offer a lot of resistance.

Edit: Who are you and what are you doing on Brent's logins?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>