Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Smash Court Tennis 3?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSmash Court Tennis 3?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Smash Court Tennis 3?
    Posted: 08-19-2008 at 8:25am
Nobody's mentioned this game and it comes out today. Anyone plan on picking it up? I've never tried the Smash Court series but have heard good things about it and it's only $40.
Slumberland View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-19-2008 at 8:35am
Hoping it will ship out from Gamefly today.  I loved #2 on the PS2, and hope this builds on it.  Especially after not liking Top Spin 3 one bit.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-19-2008 at 9:59am
Didn't like TS3?  My favorite tennis game ever.

I was also one that played a lot of Smashcourt 2 and liked it quite a bit.
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-19-2008 at 10:40am
I have become a game curmudgeon and have no patience for what I perceive to be sluggish controls and long learning curves. Approve
K_Mosley View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote K_Mosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-19-2008 at 11:10am
Stay away from Don King's Prizefighter, too!  Smile

Kevin
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-19-2008 at 12:13pm
Like Ted, this is the best tennis game I have ever played and I have played all of them.

Here is an 11 minute video of the game.  Something about it just does not look right to me. Will throw it on gamefly though.

They have actually gone away from the full bore simulation of tennis. The Smash Court series used to be the closest thing to what we saw on the court.

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-20-2008 at 3:44pm
Might not throw it on Gamefly

Early reviews are really really bad.

IGN Review

6.5 Presentation
Menu systems that are pulled straight from the handheld version. The career mode setup is the only saving grace. This is not modern-day tennis.
4.0 Graphics
Bad textures, bad models and bad environments have seen little treatment since the PSP iteration. Thankfully the framerate holds strong.
4.5 Sound
The tunes are vomit inducing while the on-court sounds are serviceable at very best.
5.5 Gameplay
The tennis provides the requisite specifications but none of them are well done. Contains zero personality.
4.0 Lasting Appeal
The tennis is so boring even the solid career mode won't keep you going.
Poor
OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

The others that were listed

Site%20Profile  Xbox World 360 Magazine UK

9/1/2008
70 out of 100
70.0%
Site%20Profile  Games Master UK

8/1/2008
70 out of 100
70.0%
Site%20Profile  Official Xbox Magazine UK

8/1/2008
6 out of 10
60.0%
Site%20Profile  X360 Magazine UK

8/1/2008
6 out of 10
60.0%

Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-20-2008 at 3:47pm
Oh and from the IGN review

As I said, SCT3 tries to simulate tennis with the standard various shot types (top spin, flat, slice, lob), requiring players to time the release of their shot with the swing of the racquet. It's similar to the realistic mechanic employed by Top Spin 3, but doesn't produce the same quality results.

Me thinks Slumber will be returning this one quickly.

All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-20-2008 at 4:17pm
Whoa!  Thanks for the heads up on that review... it probably would have shipped out tomorrow!

That's two games I had in my queue that I've jettisoned from bad pre-release buzz... the other being Too Human.

I wish they'd just send me freaking Nascar so I could try racing with you guys and put my wheel to use.  But sometime's it's impossible to get games from GF if it's not brand new and you had it in your queue.
TedSGN View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote TedSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-20-2008 at 6:45pm
Oh man, Seth, I didn't know you wanted to race with us.  I hope you can get a hold of Nascar in the near future.

Bummer about SCT3.  Did you try TS3 and not like it or just not try it based upon some bad press around the controls?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>