Sports Gaming Nation Homepage

Leagues & Ladders       League Shop        XGN Blog        Middle Aged Gamer        FlightSim Hangar        SGN Archive       
Forum Home Forum Home : SGN Forum : The Locker Room
  Active Topics Active Topics RSS Feed: Smash Court Tennis 3?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSmash Court Tennis 3?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
All-Star
All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Slumberland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Smash Court Tennis 3?
    Posted: 08-21-2008 at 7:02am
I tried TS3 and wasn't feeling it... I know people say things start to click after a while, but without some real live roommates around to play doubles with, video game tennis doesn't have the same juice it used to... not to mention I haven't loved any of the Top Spins.  Smash Court 2 I got really into the single player, though.

I do want to try the NASCAR.  Can I jump in with you all if and when it ever comes?
JasonSGN View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote JasonSGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-21-2008 at 8:26am
Originally posted by Slumberland

I do want to try the NASCAR.  Can I jump in with you all if and when it ever comes?

Absolutely.

Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-20-2008 at 5:38pm
Just a heads up, this one is now $17.99 at Gamestop.  I found a copy and will try it out tonight. Bad reviews aside, it's big plus seems to be a solid tour mode, something TS3 and VT3 were lacking in.

Will give some impressions tomorrow.

Upcoming Fight Night Champion, MLB 2K11, Top Spin 4
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-21-2008 at 6:14pm
For under $20 this one is not a bad buy.  Just played a bunch of exhibition matches so far.

The pros:

Face buttons (they are interchangeable) as slice shot is default as "A."  The actual swing mechanic is more like VT3.  I got used to the TS3 control and actually liked it.  I can go with either swing mechanic but for me, simple is better in a tennis game.  There are a bunch of special shots in this game but I have yet to get into the mode (tour) where you acquire them.

You are able to hit successful drop shots, I repeat you can hit successful drop shots. It is much easier to perform this standard tennis shot, compared to TS3.  Hit slice shot, hold back on stick, the longer the hold the tighter the drop.

No having to worry about risk shots, double button presses.  You get plenty of unforced errors in this game by holding a direction too long. I seem to have better control of where I can place the ball. With the slice shot you can make better use of the short angle shots. I even prefer net play in this game as it does not feel as slow as TS3.

Computer AI is pretty tough so far, they are monsters at the net, maybe a little too tough. Have not spent a lot of time against this type of player but like every other tennis game on the planet, the lob button is basically a let the CPU smash it back in your face.

Little touches:

You can set the time of day before a match, it gives each court a little extra aesthetic feel being able to play different times a day. The day itself does not forward itself during a match though.

Clouds pass over every court, darkening the court as the go over.

I saw this mentioned at gamefaqs and it happened to me.  I hit the net on a shot and the ball passed over, giving me the point. My player in turn raised his hand up acknowledging the luck that was bestowed upon him (this is tennis ettiquite and there are other little things liek this that other tennis games miss).

The cons:

Graphics are really dated, heavy shimmering and jaggies around net/shadow.

Textures are not very good, especially on clay.

Players models are hit or miss but not horrid by any means.

I have yet to enter the tour mode which is the meat and taters of the game. So far I am pretty happy with the purchase.

Grambo Bastille View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grambo Bastille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-22-2008 at 4:26pm
I'd be interested to hear how deep the career mode is once you get there.
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-22-2008 at 5:43pm
One thing I forgot is the ability to challenge calls (the CPU can also challenge).  Works well so far.

Just starting career mode myself.  I can give you all the details on it (stuff I found in reviews and from gamefaqs.com).

You have a 4 year career.

There are brand names (Fila, Addidas, etc)

There is a national cup (Similar to the Davis cup)

You obtain sponsorships by doing sponsor challenges (similar to TS2)

More things in the Tour (Training, Fan Mail, Charity events, sponsor stuff) than other games.

I think you can set the length of any tourney to play them as long or short as you want (will verify that tonight).

Grambo Bastille View Drop Down
All-Star
All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grambo Bastille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-22-2008 at 6:00pm
cool, thanks.  What are the multiplayer options?
Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-22-2008 at 6:07pm
  • Number of Players:

1-4, 4 Online

• Offline Modes: Competitive, Cooperative

• Online Modes: Competitive, Cooperative

Gamestop adds:

Online doubles matches let players team up side by side for a long distance match against another pair, bringing the action and interaction alive like never before.

So online it looks like you have to have two people on one console playing another two people on a different consoles.  Seems to be a trend amongst tennis games, instead of having 4 separate XBL accounts play each other.

Brent View Drop Down
Legend
Legend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-23-2008 at 3:10am
You can set each individual match within a tourney from 1 set of 2 games up to 6 sets of 5 games. You can also save between matches.

Stamina is a bit wonky, you spend most of your time not having any.  Need to figure it out as you have stop playing a whole month just to get back to 100% after a tourney.  Some things take less fatigue than others.

The AI is not as good as Top Spin 3 but you do have the various style of players (serve volley/baseline/etc).

The thing I like most about this games is that it tries to be like tennis on TV. From the opening intros, to the crowds shouting out player names and getting rowdy at the proper times and shaking the refs hand after a match. I even saw where when you play at the fictional Wimbeldon, the clothes you can use and that the AI uses, are all primary white. 

Top Spin 3 wins out in most every area, except a couple biggies.  Tour mode, atmosphere, shot placements (ability to use the drop shot and the lob) and something that is not completely stale.

If you like tennis games I think SCT3 is worth the $20 price of admission, if you can find it used. It's not pretty, not always smooth and was ported from the PSP version that was out a year before.  If you took the pluses of this game and everything else from Top Spin 3, it would easily be one of the best "non-team" sports games this year.

K_Mosley View Drop Down
MVP
MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote K_Mosley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-08-2009 at 9:29pm
Hey Brent,

I just picked this up new for $9.99 at Gamestop.  I was going to get TS3, but this was $20 cheaper, so I thought I'd give it a try (I liked SMT on the PS2).  I'm not disappointed!  I completed the training, and I'm very happy with the shot making and opponent AI.  I had a heckuva time getting 5 points in a row against my coach.  His "nice shots" killed me in certain rallies.

I'm also excited about the Tour mode, which seems better than TS3's, although the game doesn't sport as many real tennis pros.  For $10, though, this one looks to be a good value.

Kevin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>